Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to root on 4.2.2

I have yet to see a posting on here on how to root the Nexus after the 4.2.2 update. I could be wrong so if there is one please notify me and I'll remove this posting

I have found these steps from TechnoMild (full link here) you should have all the drivers so I wont post them.

NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have the files.

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers.

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in the C:\android-sdk\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there. (if you have the lastest version you should. See this )

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard (on the root of it. not in any folders) on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the C:\android-sdk\platform-toolss directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode.

Step 8 - Navigate to C:\android-sdk\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 9 - Type in the following command and press Enter.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img
    Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to flash zip from SD card and press the Power button to select it.

Step 12 - Press the Power button again and select choose zip from sdcard.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to +++++Go Back and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now.

Thats it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify.

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Default Re: How to root on 4.2.2

Or just use wugs tool kit and make life easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks for posting for others... Toolkits should be banned for Nexus devices. If you don't know how to fastboot and flash a zip you shouldn't be unlocking your Nexus

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    sidroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Thanks for posting for others... Toolkits should be banned for Nexus devices. If you don't know how to fastboot and flash a zip you shouldn't be unlocking your Nexus

I don't agree with this, as an android noob with only 2 devices, i sympathize with the new users who want to unlock their device yet don't know how to do everything just yet

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Or maybe folks don't want to bother trying to setup the SDK or manipulate files. Around just that process alone can detour folks from flashing. Even Phil and Jerry where taking about this on last pod cast. I've been doing computers for 20 years and still can't type. Just cleaned my laptop of 20gb of android files. And yes I can do it manually but the tool kits make it easier and the added features make it icing on the cake

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Honestly i like the toolkits but when i cant find a way to do it i find a manual way and sometimes i like doing that because i feel like a hacker with all the line typing

If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

Anyone know why I can't get windows to properly recognize the device? What is the correct driver?

Every time I try this I get a cmd prompt message "waiting for device."
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

if you got to the website that i linked to it will have the corrected drivers. but windows should of installed them when you plugged it in. could be a bad cable, also heard using the cable that came with the tablet helps and trying different ports
    Quote Originally Posted by blaford View Post
    Anyone know why I can't get windows to properly recognize the device? What is the correct driver?

Do i need to unlock my nexus 7 device on fastboot? There is a message saying "LOCK STATE - LOCKED" at the bottom end text on fast boot mode.

I tried to input the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img" but it says

sending 'recovery' (6530 KB)...
    FAILED (remote: Bootloader is locked.)
    finished. total time: 0.022s

I'm want to be sure first because i bricked my nexus the last time i explore fast boot to downgrade version of jellybean. Good thing they replaced it with new one.

Hoping for your quick response guys. I'm currently trying to root my nexus device now.
    Last edited by burnhard1925; 02-20-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Typo Error

Quote Originally Posted by blaford View Post

Any luck yet?

sorry but i disagree , there are some who's hobby are rooting phones . then the ones who use their phones see the exciting things that the people with the know how do , want that for theirs . i say kudos to the guys who make the simple programs for people to root and put on those exciting programs . remember these people who have never rooted a phone are scared of bricking their phones where they are unusable . im sure you feel confident when you root a phone and kudos to you for helping people when they get in trouble rooting , maybe some day those who use the simple programs will feel confident enough ( maybe when they buy another new one and start playing with the old one ) they will experiment .
    mike

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

There are plenty of guides out there and it boils down to this: if you have a Nexus device and want to be a root user and/or ROM flasher you really don't have an excuse for using toolkits.

You install the drivers or the sdk. You unlock the bootloader with:
    fastboot oem unlock

You download a recovery and boot it with:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

And in that recovery you flash the SU zip for root.

That's it. 2 commands and about 3 steps for the basic things you need. Toolkits are not reliable all the time and you must know these basics if you are going to be able to troubleshoot at all. If those 2 commands and instructions are too much then you shouldn't be hacking into your device. That's how people assume they bricked stuff and get lost and panic when they usually have a very easily fixable situation on their hands.

Rather everyone learn to fish than me just point them towards the nearest Long John Silver's. It's pretty basic and simple.

Jaysus likes this.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I am a noob. So how do i get the drivers and how do i unlock the boot loader?
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Setting up SDK and moving files into proper folder is the hardest part and is really intimidating.
    There are plenty of guides out there and it boils down to this: if you have a Nexus device and want to be a root user and/or ROM flasher you really don't have an excuse for using toolkits.

You install the drivers or the sdk. You unlock the bootloader with:
    fastboot oem unlock

You download a recovery and boot it with:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

And in that recovery you flash the SU zip for root.

That's it. 2 commands and about 3 steps for the basic things you need. Toolkits are not reliable all the time and you must know these basics if you are going to be able to troubleshoot at all. If those 2 commands and instructions are too much then you shouldn't be hacking into your device. That's how people assume they bricked stuff and get lost and panic when they usually have a very easily fixable situation on their hands.

Rather everyone learn to fish than me just point them towards the nearest Long John Silver's. It's pretty basic and simple.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by BugJuice27 View Post
    I am a noob. So how do i get the drivers and how do i unlock the boot loader?
    Read the guide

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Setting up SDK and moving files into proper folder is the hardest part and is really intimidating.

It shouldn't be

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Honestly setting up the SDK was pretty simple for me. If you like having it shown to you by step to step go check out QBKing77 on Youtube, he has some great stuff

Thanked by:
    daryllh likes this.

Would anybody know if i can root my n7 using a Acer Chromebook the new one for $200 on the play store?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Far as i know of Chromebooks are just a beefed up version of the browser so im going to have to say no on that but im sure someone can correct me if im wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by imparishilton View Post
    Would anybody know if i can root my n7 using a Acer Chromebook the new one for $200 on the play store?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

Or just search for and use the Nexus Root Toolkit. Pretty well fool proof from what I can tell.

Hover over the platform-tools recovery and go into command prompt and type this in fastboot oem unlock

Quote Originally Posted by srfox View Post
    Or just search for and use the Nexus Root Toolkit. Pretty well fool proof from what I can tell.
    No, they are not fool proof. I've personally had them fail on me before, especially right after new versions of Android get released and the toolkits haven't been updated to support them yet.

When something screws up and you've used the manual approach you know more about the problem than you do with a toolkit. That, plus the knowledge you have from reading one of the manual guides puts you in a much better place to fix your device than you would be if a fancy GUI threw an error and left you with a door stop of a tablet or phone.

I'm a developer, putting a fancy wrapper around things and hiding all but the basics from the end user is what I do and that's all a Toolkit is.

GUIs are great, end users don't want to be burdened with what they perceive to be an overly complex process to perform a simple task. And I agree, it's complex the first time you do it and it doesn't need to be. Google can and should do better. But until that GUI is provided by Google directly, I won't be using toolkits anymore.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

When i choose recovery it just shows a black screen

Hey everyone, posting from my girlfriends computer/facebook. I feel very comfortable tinkering around in command, and with my devices, and am usually confident in my abilities to diagnose and fix any issues (or at least find help online!) that may arise. Thanks so much! Although I am not too knowledgeable in Android I definately agree about not using toolkits. I like to learn as much as i can for not only preventative measures but combating future issues. I had previously bricked (for all intents and purposes) my Nexus 7 in an extremely dumb and highly preventable way and just got it restored to 4.1.2. From there I had updated to 4.2.2 without re-rooting and was struggling to find a clear way to root it. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, oh well. Thanks for a clear, concise guide, and also helping illustrate why toolkits are not the greatest option although sometimes useful. Now my Nexus 7 is once again Unlocked, Rooted, and will soon be using Buttered AOKP and possibly Motley Kernel. Any other ROMs that are good for battery life, and just general use/light gaming? Thanks again!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotta have it android View Post
    Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.
    After choosing recovery, my phone is stuck at a blank & black screen. If I hold down power, power + volume down, or power + volume up, it just boots back into a black screen. It vibrates as if it's rebooting but won't get out of the black screen. Any ideas?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

This is for the Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2391 View Post
    After choosing recovery, my phone is stuck at a blank & black screen. If I hold down power, power + volume down, or power + volume up, it just boots back into a black screen. It vibrates as if it's rebooting but won't get out of the black screen. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast