Rooted NExus 7(2013) senior needs help de-rooting, updating to lollipop, then restoring data

jolo

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Please help and please be kind and patient with this senior citizen.
I have a rooted Nexus 7(2013). It is rooted at 4.4.4.
I saw the released Android updates to lollipop that I want to use and I need help with the procedures as I have to deroot my Nexus 7 first?
I also want to break it down to steps.
I assume that to update to lollipop, I would need to:
  • Backup using Nandroid
  • Deroot my Nexus.
  • Go to the Android site, then update to the latest version of lollipop.
  • When the upgrade if over, then re-root.
  • Even, though I was able to root my Nexus 7, I have forgotten many of the specifics.
  • Please help guide me as I think I need to:
  • Backup my Nexus 7 – I have both Titanium Backup Pro and Nanroid Backup Pro
Should I use Nandoid Online backup to ensure I can recover?
  • Nandroid Settings - Please help me with these Nanroid settings aftger selecting Custom Backup.
  • Backup Name – UTZ Timezone
  • Type – TWRP or Clockworkmod – I assume I select TWRP
  • Normal Backup Mode?
  • Do I select any of Yaffs2 as Tar or Exclude Dalvik Cache, Exclude Google Music Files.I have to admit, I have no idea what Dalvik and Yaffs2 are.
  • I will move to TWRP backup to my PC because it winds up being about 3gb and I haisve a 16gb Nexus 7.
This is where I get very confused. What exactly do I do and use start the derooting? Should I use the WugFresh(1.99) toolkit?
After derooting, I should NOT restore anything. I do an upgrade of Android to lollipop.
After my Nexus 7 is lollipop, I would need to do a recovery/restore of my Nandroid backup??
I have the following products that might help:
  • Titanium Backup Pro
  • Nandroid Backup Pro
  • BusyBox Pro
  • SuperSu
  • Root Checker Basic
  • NoBloat Free
Thank you for your time, expertise, kindness and patience in advance :D
Jon

Last edited:

AndroKillz0r

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Use NRT.Just backup the apps from ur nexus to your computer and then flash stock 5.1 or whatever version you want. After that restore anything and change your version in Nexus root toolkit to 5.1 or whatever version and root and install TWRP/CWM. done!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can just install TWRP or CWM (I prefer TWRP, but that's just a personal choice) and backup the data. (You don't need to back up the system, but you should in case the update goes bad - you'll have a KitKat system to restore.) Then flash the stock 4.4.4 (unrooting still shows a "has been rooted" phone, so the update should fail), update to Lollipop, root and restore the data with TWRP or CWM. (I've been through this a few dozen times trying out different ROMs. Restoring the data gives me the same phone, but with a new ROM. Restoring the system gives me back my old ROM.)