Dead pixel :(

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got home to actually mess with this since I've been out all day for my birthday, and I found a dead pixel at the right side.:(

Suggestions?
Return to Google or switch out at my game stop?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a line of dead pixels. I wonder if it's a software bug but I've rebooted it and it's still there.

Gamestop told me to go through Google but I said no to that. I'm not playing mail tag. They are going to get a device and I'll swap it. The problem is they claim they can't get one unless I buy another. I'm still researching it. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
On mine there's a dark line running down the scree. It's there on any app. The location of it makes it impossible to test on the charging or boot up screen. As no one else is complaining and since it looks like dead pixels we have to assume that's it. As for finding one dead pixel, there'd be a dark spot that is either black or off color (sometimes two of the three lights work).

I called Gamestop to check on my status. They are going to get me one, they just have to find out how.

59Martins59

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus 7 yet but I'm familiar with "dead" pixels since I've had to fix them on PSPs and even my LCD a couple of times.

There are lots of "dead" pixels, but let's just talk about two, the most common. You can have a dark pixel, which is dead and there's nothing you can do about it or you can have a stuck pixel, which is fixable, and I will explain how, but let me just tell you that sometimes a pixel looks black because of the colors around it and you lose all hope, but don't fall for that. If you want to check the color of the pixel to see if it is in fact dead, then just get a white image on the whole screen and see the color, if it is very dark then it is dead, but if it isn't, do this:

Download this video: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62d17RtgVU8[/YT]

make sure you download it and have it in MPEG4 and in 720p and play it on your tablet in full screen. Hope this helps ;)

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried that and not luck. The lines in my experience are almost always hardware. I know people on Youtube claim to be able to fix them by tapping but in my experience the line is always unrepairable. That is assuming it's not software. The Kindle sometimes gets a dark line in it's icons but they move with the icon, hence proving software issues can mimick hardware faults.

For the OP however with one "dead" pixel that video might work. It's more rare for one pixel to actually die.

Anyway, I get to play with it and learn how to work it (the Kindle is VERY different) while they worry about finding me a new one. Part of why I didn't want to play mail tag with Google.

59Martins59

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried that and not luck. The lines in my experience are almost always hardware. I know people on Youtube claim to be able to fix them by tapping but in my experience the line is always unrepairable. That is assuming it's not software. The Kindle sometimes gets a dark line in it's icons but they move with the icon, hence proving software issues can mimick hardware faults.

For the OP however with one "dead" pixel that video might work. It's more rare for one pixel to actually die.

Anyway, I get to play with it and learn how to work it (the Kindle is VERY different) while they worry about finding me a new one. Part of why I didn't want to play mail tag with Google.

If you let the video play for at least the 10 minutes and it isn't working than they are probably dead... :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There's a difference between a "stuck" pixel (usually a color) and a "dead" pixel (either completely white/clear or very dark/black, usually). The "dead pixel test" and associated apps and videos only help with the former :(.

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
There's a difference between a "stuck" pixel (usually a color) and a "dead" pixel (either completely white/clear or very dark/black, usually). The "dead pixel test" and associated apps and videos only help with the former :(.

My pixel is weird. I can't take a pic Cuz it won't show up. It's like it sleeps then wakes up

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

Man, that sucks. I hope the store will get you a replacement quickly.

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus 7 yet but I'm familiar with "dead" pixels since I've had to fix them on PSPs and even my LCD a couple of times.

There are lots of "dead" pixels, but let's just talk about two, the most common. You can have a dark pixel, which is dead and there's nothing you can do about it or you can have a stuck pixel, which is fixable, and I will explain how, but let me just tell you that sometimes a pixel looks black because of the colors around it and you lose all hope, but don't fall for that. If you want to check the color of the pixel to see if it is in fact dead, then just get a white image on the whole screen and see the color, if it is very dark then it is dead, but if it isn't, do this:

Download this video: Click to view quoted video

make sure you download it and have it in MPEG4 and in 720p and play it on your tablet in full screen. Hope this helps ;)

That video literally made it 10x worse than it was.
Wtf...
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

InspecThaGadget

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a line of dead pixels. I wonder if it's a software bug but I've rebooted it and it's still there.

Gamestop told me to go through Google but I said no to that. I'm not playing mail tag. They are going to get a device and I'll swap it. The problem is they claim they can't get one unless I buy another. I'm still researching it. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Bought mine at Gamestop and it also had a line of dead pixels. Strangely, it wasn't that way during the first day of use. I charged it that night before bed and the next morning there was a line of dead horizontal pixels about an inch above the bottom of the screen. Tried a factory reset to no avail. Returned it to Gamestop that morning.

Waiting for my pre-order (ordered June 29th) to arrive from Google. I hope this pixel issue doesn't happen again.

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm returning one because of one dead pixel. As long as it's within the return period I feel like it's within reason to expect to receive a device free from defects.

wundertunge

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm returning one because of one dead pixel. As long as it's within the return period I feel like it's within reason to expect to receive a device free from defects.

I feel you. But before returning it, I'm going to try to fix it with some apps. Hopefully, I can get it to budge.

The only two things I worry about are no more 16GB models in stock; I've heard that they've been selling out. The 2nd thing I worry about is getting a replacement that's even more defective than mine.

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I ran a pixel fixer (I forget the name) on mine overnight for two nights, probably totalling 20 hours and while it did improve it slightly it was still there. If anything it made me think I had more than one right next to each other and one came unstuck. I hear you though, I don't mind waiting for a replacement but I'm hoping I don't get a junker.

wundertunge

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
PdHahn: is your dead pixel black? Mine is white and bright and isn't visible if looking at the tablet head on. More of a whitehead instead of a blackhead.

Also, ran the detector, and whenever a color pops up, there's just white shining through. Black background: nothing.