Nexus 7 will lead Android tablets to overtake the iPad

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to see the charts comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I have an iPad 2 and an android phone. The kindle fire and nexus 7 are not competitors to the iPad. 10 inch android tablets are the competitors. In the 10 inch android space, excluding gaming which really takes advantage of the quad core hardware, iOS provides a better experience. In the phone market, there was never a noticeable difference in experience.

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm also planning to buy the nexus 7 once quality issues are better resolved. I will use the iPad 2 around the house while the Nexus 7 will travel with me for work purposes.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to see the charts comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I have an iPad 2 and an android phone. The kindle fire and nexus 7 are not competitors to the iPad. 10 inch android tablets are the competitors. In the 10 inch android space, excluding gaming which really takes advantage of the quad core hardware, iOS provides a better experience. In the phone market, there was never a noticeable difference in experience.

It's a tablet. It's competing with the IPad.Unless Android isn't competing with the iPhone since there are android phones with bigger screens.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I dont know why I try and use rational thought in a forum. What is it they say about arguing with a fool? They'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience?

Of course they will lose market share when they were so early on the modern smartphone and tablet fronts. Its like saying Ford has lost market share since the early 1900s. Recently, smartphone share has remained relatively stable. As far as tablets, even doubling share doesn't say a lot about units.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This is OS vs OS, not device vs device. Only one company develops android. Only one company develops ios. This is about which is a better platform. This is not about how many models you have. If it was Blackberry would be dominating the market. Apple's not losing ground in mobile phones? Apple went from having most the smartphone marketshare to having 30 something percent. And Apple is currently LOSING tablet market share. Google is taking tablet market share a little over twice as fast as they took smartphone market share. These are facts. This is the same argument Mac fans made back I'm the 80's ad 90's before Windows took over.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Apple actually just gained tablet market share.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259864/apples_ipad_gains_market_share_new_threats_incoming.html

And the tablet market is a lot different than the phone market. If only because Apple reall did themselves a bit disservice with their ATT exclusivity. They pretty much gave android a huge portion of the mobile phone market all to themselves for a couple years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

armeddroid

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Lets be real. Apple dominates due to the marketing. Their devices are very simple to use and they make a very good product.

I have seen on several scales how easy it is for normal consumers to pick up an iphone and just use it vs android. Many android owners use their phones like they do the iphone and don't even realize the maximum capabilities of the android. One of the many features that common android users use is the mobile hotspot feature. Thats a big crowd pleaser especially from a business POV.
Common android users don't really care too much about rooting their phones and flashing roms although its popularity is growing.
Aside from a few wallpaper tweaks and screen transitions usually is the extent to how they actually use their android phone.

Now we know 1 of the biggest complaints in the android community is the fragmented OS but this fragmented system help android spread different phones all over the world at different prices.

Android as a singularity cannot dominate the market no matter what against Apple. Think about it you have 25 different vendors and manufacturers all using android and by this is the only reason why they been able to dominate the market by price options. Apple is ONE company against one OS and a dozen pro-android manufacturers.

Apple has been in the game for a good minute. Their marketing strategies are ingenious and with the money that they make they can continue to keep holding patent lawsuits, stifling competition while they grow within.

What Google needs to do is get their marketing strategies up and running. Why do you think Samsung and the Galaxy S3 was so successful? They actually showed commercials on different things you can really do with an android finally. They kept showing anti apple commercials, clowning apple with some form of ridicule. Samsung's marketing strategies literally showed what you really can do in terms of features with an android. Aside from how to videos on youtube or what not, you don't see what android is about.

So the Nexus 7 is successful because of the marketing strategy that Google implemented but if you didn't realize, this marketing strategy is the one done by Apple.
Hopefully they don't patent that. =P

My $.02 for now. And I'm using the nexus 7 voice to text for this post. So please excuse any typos. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: cckgz4

armeddroid

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
This is OS vs OS, not device vs device. Only one company develops android. Only one company develops ios. This is about which is a better platform. This is not about how many models you have. If it was Blackberry would be dominating the market. Apple's not losing ground in mobile phones? Apple went from having most the smartphone marketshare to having 30 something percent. And Apple is currently LOSING tablet market share. Google is taking tablet market share a little over twice as fast as they took smartphone market share. These are facts. This is the same argument Mac fans made back I'm the 80's ad 90's before Windows took over.

If you wanna say OS vs OS then its
iOS 5 vs Android 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 4.0 & 4.1.
Each of Android's fragmented OS has features of their own.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Let's redirect a little bit and just talk about Android for a minute. What makes Android seem a little more difficult is that you have to find apps to get the phone to work. You are literally given a mostly blank slate.

For example a friend came to me with her new smart phone and wanted to know how to use those QR codes. I had no idea either. We looked it up and found that she'd need an app (I've never owned a smarty phone by the way).

We can compare this directly to Windows. Windows wanted, and due to court mandates needed, to be mostly just an OS. That meant your new machine couldn't use the internet even though it was capable because those functions lacked an interface. You had to go back to the computer store and buy Netscape Navigator. Microsoft learned from the anger and started adding IE anyway, and a file manager, word processing, simple paint programs, etc..

My point is that while I respect and truly admire the open slate philosophy a device needs to function out of the box also. Google needs to include a file manager and not just a simple Donwload button even if they just farm it out to ES File Explorer. They need to include a scanner since QR codes are part of the google way now. They in essence need to meet in the middle and offer people options while still having the new device ready to use.

Even shorter version, Androids learning curve is steep for new users.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Lets be real. Apple dominates due to the marketing. Their devices are very simple to use and they make a very good product.

I have seen on several scales how easy it is for normal consumers to pick up an iphone and just use it vs android. Many android owners use their phones like they do the iphone and don't even realize the maximum capabilities of the android. One of the many features that common android users use is the mobile hotspot feature. Thats a big crowd pleaser especially from a business POV.
Common android users don't really care too much about rooting their phones and flashing roms although its popularity is growing.
Aside from a few wallpaper tweaks and screen transitions usually is the extent to how they actually use their android phone.

Now we know 1 of the biggest complaints in the android community is the fragmented OS but this fragmented system help android spread different phones all over the world at different prices.

Android as a singularity cannot dominate the market no matter what against Apple. Think about it you have 25 different vendors and manufacturers all using android and by this is the only reason why they been able to dominate the market by price options. Apple is ONE company against one OS and a dozen pro-android manufacturers.

Apple has been in the game for a good minute. Their marketing strategies are ingenious and with the money that they make they can continue to keep holding patent lawsuits, stifling competition while they grow within.

What Google needs to do is get their marketing strategies up and running. Why do you think Samsung and the Galaxy S3 was so successful? They actually showed commercials on different things you can really do with an android finally. They kept showing anti apple commercials, clowning apple with some form of ridicule. Samsung's marketing strategies literally showed what you really can do in terms of features with an android. Aside from how to videos on youtube or what not, you don't see what android is about.

So the Nexus 7 is successful because of the marketing strategy that Google implemented but if you didn't realize, this marketing strategy is the one done by Apple.

My $.02 for now. And I'm using the nexus 7 voice to text for this post. So please excuse any typos. Lol

Completely agree with everything here. You bring up all the points I usually do in my arguments for Android. I don't think there will ever be a winner of the Apple v Android battle but a clear front runner can emerge with better marketing. Well put!

Reactions: armeddroid

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with everything here. You bring up all the points I usually do in my arguments for Android. I don't think there will ever be a winner of the Apple v Android battle but a clear front runner can emerge with better marketing. Well put!

The mall I work at has a cow walking around to drive you to the food court. Imagine if they had an Android walking around.

Actually, jokes aside, android merchandise would sell. If they shipped to Gamestop, Best Buy, Staples, Target and a few other places some Android themed coffee cups, soap dispensers, etc.. it would help gain attention.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Let's redirect a little bit and just talk about Android for a minute. What makes Android seem a little more difficult is that you have to find apps to get the phone to work. You are literally given a mostly blank slate.

For example a friend came to me with her new smart phone and wanted to know how to use those QR codes. I had no idea either. We looked it up and found that she'd need an app (I've never owned a smarty phone by the way).

We can compare this directly to Windows. Windows wanted, and due to court mandates needed, to be mostly just an OS. That meant your new machine couldn't use the internet even though it was capable because those functions lacked an interface. You had to go back to the computer store and buy Netscape Navigator. Microsoft learned from the anger and started adding IE anyway, and a file manager, word processing, simple paint programs, etc..

My point is that while I respect and truly admire the open slate philosophy a device needs to function out of the box also. Google needs to include a file manager and not just a simple Donwload button even if they just farm it out to ES File Explorer. They need to include a scanner since QR codes are part of the google way now. They in essence need to meet in the middle and offer people options while still having the new device ready to use.

Even shorter version, Androids learning curve is steep for new users.

Part of the problem is that it's not really GOOGLE that isn't installing those things on the phone, but the manufacturers. Remember, unless you're running a Nexus, Google had nothing to do with how the phone was set up. The manufacturers and carriers are the ones who need to set things up for simplicity (again, unless it's a Nexus device). Furthermore, Google does, in fact, have a QR reader called Google Goggles. No, it doesn't come installed on most devices. Again, that's not on Google, but on the manufacturer and carrier. They're too busy baking bloat into the phone to worry about things like including stock Google services. As to the file explorer, I agree. That should be something that comes stock on Android, baked right in, and easy to use.

Until the multitude of different manufacturers and carriers get their collective heads out of their butts, Android will continue to be a mess. Some of them do a better job of it than others on this front. This is something Apple doesn't have to deal with, as they control the hardware and the software. Google doesn't. They don't control the vast majority of the hardware, and since the software is OS, they really have very little control over that either. That's just one of the downsides to being open. Other people can screw up your perfectly good product. :p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with an Android user who doesn't use their Android device to it's "full potential". Rooting, flashing ROMS- all pretty irrelevant activities when it comes to the bottom line of an Android OEM.

Android's supposed fragmentation is a double-edged sword for the platform. Android continued to innovate their OS, but the hardware projects just couldn't keep up. This is the case and will continue to be the case if Android remains an open-source platform that anybody can build. Seems like everyone here wants Google to force OEMs to update or use their new Motorola division to build smartphone hardware and keep it updated themselves which would basically turn Google into what Apple is now and what Microsoft is trying to become now.

Regarding marketing and customers service - Apple is genius. The thing that I see with Apple's marketing is that the tend to show off the experience, rather than specs. Specs don't really matter if the experience isn't good. Regular consumers don't care about how many cores the CPU of their phone has. Google needs to market Google Now in similar ways that Apple markets Siri.

I want to see a commercial where someone just goes around doing whatever Google Now suggests. I want to see a commercial showing off Google Maps Navigation. I want to see a commercial highlighting good games from the Play Store. I want to see a commercial highlighting office productivity using Google Drive.

Samsung's anti-Apple advertising IMO wasn't good at all. They could have done without the whole "iSheep" and barista references. I feel that Samsung didn't need to make fun of potential customers. It reeked of envy and jealousy as Samsung, Google, and any other Android OEM would kill to have that kind of brand-loyalty and dedication that Apple fans have for Apple.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. Apple brought a powerful smartphone and tablet operating system for the masses that anyone can pick up and use.

It's amazing to see kids as young as 2 pick up an iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad and just know how to use it. I've helped my parents use their old feature phones more than I've helped them with their iPhones and iPads.

Android, though it has more market share, still has the stigma of being for nerds or for tinkerers.

Wrong. My daughter picks up my new Nexus 7 and is using it immediately with no problems. In my experience, Apple products appeal to technologically challenged people. In people who don't really know much about computers and don't use them. People who use go phones.

I have personally seen three iPhone users switch to the SGS 3, and they love it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. My daughter picks up my new Nexus 7 and is using it immediately with no problems. In my experience, Apple products appeal to technologically challenged people. In people who don't really know much about computers and don't use them. People who use go phones.

I have personally seen three iPhone users switch to the SGS 3, and they love it.

I guess I'm wrong because my personal experience differs a bit from yours. Cool. :rolleyes:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

The Go Phone comment doesn't even make sense so that's all I will say about it.

Isn't it the goal of any OS or software to make it easier for someone to do something? Do you think when Microsoft was designing their new Windows Phone OS, they said "let's see how hard we can make this for users"?

I've been writing software for over 15 years. The goal is ease of use. Intuitive, less actions by the user to get more done, pleasing to look at. These are all the things Apple, and any other phone maker, strives for. That's why we see things like Sense, Motoblur, TouchWiz. Had Google spent more time in the beginning, we wouldn't have all the fragmentation we have now, and all the different skins. I don't think however, Google thought Android was going to be the monster it is today.

And by the way, I'm definitely not "technologically challenged", and some Apple products appeal to me. There is nothing wrong with appreciating a good product when you see it. I don't care if it's RIM, Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. It doesn't matter. I just get what I like. If a 4" iPhone comes out, I will be all over it. When Surface comes out, I will get that.

armeddroid

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with an Android user who doesn't use their Android device to it's "full potential". Rooting, flashing ROMS- all pretty irrelevant activities when it comes to the bottom line of an Android OEM.

Android's supposed fragmentation is a double-edged sword for the platform. Android continued to innovate their OS, but the hardware projects just couldn't keep up. This is the case and will continue to be the case if Android remains an open-source platform that anybody can build. Seems like everyone here wants Google to force OEMs to update or use their new Motorola division to build smartphone hardware and keep it updated themselves which would basically turn Google into what Apple is now and what Microsoft is trying to become now.

Regarding marketing and customers service - Apple is genius. The thing that I see with Apple's marketing is that the tend to show off the experience, rather than specs. Specs don't really matter if the experience isn't good. Regular consumers don't care about how many cores the CPU of their phone has. Google needs to market Google Now in similar ways that Apple markets Siri.

I want to see a commercial where someone just goes around doing whatever Google Now suggests. I want to see a commercial showing off Google Maps Navigation. I want to see a commercial highlighting good games from the Play Store. I want to see a commercial highlighting office productivity using Google Drive.

Samsung's anti-Apple advertising IMO wasn't good at all. They could have done without the whole "iSheep" and barista references. I feel that Samsung didn't need to make fun of potential customers. It reeked of envy and jealousy as Samsung, Google, and any other Android OEM would kill to have that kind of brand-loyalty and dedication that Apple fans have for Apple.

Well I never said there was anything wrong with consumers using Android's full potential. Merely making a comment on usage out the box and using Android's features which is frustrating for them. A good example is widgets.

Rooting and flashing ROMS is a different beast and separate from my point because no one cares about that. Average consumer, that is.

The point is according to the subject line is how the Nexus 7 will lead the pack to overtake the iPad. So hence my entire point of marketing strategies.

The software vs hardware with Android was the fact that Google pushed out a sensible priced product (N7)with the latest OS built by a highly reputable manufacturer doesn't negate that fact they decided to use the same ploy Apple used to market Google's products at a cheap price vs Apples fixed prices. And look what happened, the N7 blew up and took off. No marketing needed by Google. Google and Nexus name spoke for itself.

Practical use:
How many people have known someone who got an Android phone for the first time and have no clue what it does? I bet you know plenty while Apple puts out a product, even a 10yr old can run with.
How many of you pro android users talk about your features with another android user and find out that one of you can't do the same as the other? Plenty! This is frustrating for many android users who are still stuck in the back of the bus. This is where the "double edged blade" becomes evident.

I def agree on commercials. Google needs demos in their commercials. Show me someone using it. Show me how I can schedule my calendar, tasks etc via my voice commands. Why is this phone good for me? What makes a 7" tablet vs a 10" tablet more practical? Why, what, where, when and how often?

This is key to average consumer. Functionality and simplicity. It works and works well. Until ICS and JB, MANY android users have been frustrated with their OS. It don't matter what OS version they running.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I never said there was anything wrong with consumers using Android's full potential. Merely making a comment on usage out the box and using Android's features which is frustrating for them. A good example is widgets.

Rooting and flashing ROMS is a different beast and separate from my point because no one cares about that. Average consumer, that is.

The point is according to the subject line is how the Nexus 7 will lead the pack to overtake the iPad. So hence my entire point of marketing strategies.

The software vs hardware with Android was the fact that Google pushed out a sensible priced product (N7)with the latest OS built by a highly reputable manufacturer doesn't negate that fact they decided to use the same ploy Apple used to market Google's products at a cheap price vs Apples fixed prices. And look what happened, the N7 blew up and took off. No marketing needed by Google. Google and Nexus name spoke for itself.

Practical use:
How many people have known someone who got an Android phone for the first time and have no clue what it does? I bet you know plenty while Apple puts out a product, even a 10yr old can run with.
How many of you pro android users talk about your features with another android user and find out that one of you can't do the same as the other? Plenty! This is frustrating for many android users who are still stuck in the back of the bus. This is where the "double edged blade" becomes evident.

I def agree on commercials. Google needs demos in their commercials. Show me someone using it. Show me how I can schedule my calendar, tasks etc via my voice commands. Why is this phone good for me? What makes a 7" tablet vs a 10" tablet more practical? Why, what, where, when and how often?

This is key to average consumer. Functionality and simplicity. It works and works well. Until ICS and JB, MANY android users have been frustrated with their OS. It don't matter what OS version they running.

Are there sales numbers yet? I think it may be premature to say that the Nexus 7 blew up and took off just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress