Some interesting info for those concerned with quality

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate the tip, but knowing my luck I'd frig something up and make it a non-warranty eligible issue. ;)

Plus I've read that people have done this and found that the lift comes back eventually - it may be more the action of putting the back cover back on that temporarily glues the cover back into place. I'll save measures like popping the back cover off for intentional warranty-voiding activities (I'm sure someone will have some neat hardware hacks for this thing sometime!).

A few days ago, I watched a long video and then read for a couple of hours, all the time holding the Nexus by the area that suffers from the lift and squeezing gently occasionally. It has gone from "all but unnoticeable" to "completely unnoticeable without my magnifying glass" for now.

Once I get a protective case on this thing, which is something I really ought to do, there's no way I'll notice it unless it starts getting really bad.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The internal serial wouldn't match the box and might cause issues for somebody but the store probably returns opened items if you say its defective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does this void the warranty? I'm all about DIY, but make sure you don't back yourself into the corner.

Plus, this is supposedly a "temporary" fix.

From what I've read elsewhere, no, removing the back cover is not a warranty-voiding event. I still wouldn't risk it personally if I had any intention of using the warranty, but the general consensus seems to be it's safe enough. Take that for what it's worth - an uninformed member of the unwashed masses bleating the majority of the beats he's heard from other unwashed heathen. (grin).

And, yes, the screw-tightening fix is, by all accounts, temporary. In fact, if you heat the device up a little (by using it heavily) and gently squeeze on the separated area, you can sometimes get the glue to re-seat (worked for me). It might be that the mechanical force of putting the back cover on is actually re-seating the glue, and the tightening of the screws has nothing to do with it.

Some people have put clamps on the Nexus (with low tension!!!!) and others have stacked a few books on it. Others like me have simply pushed it down with our fingers. Many reports of this fix being temporary have floated around, mine seems to be holding pretty well - I still have a screen raise but I can't make the screen artifact (that LCD-ish color weirdness you get when you poke or push on a soft LCD panel like a large monitor) by squeezing on the edge any more - and even when I could that's not a normal use case for the device anyway...

Reactions: dmmarck

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I processed an RMA through the Play Store last week and sent my first one back, so I wasn't able to check if it was a c60 or not, but I did have slight screen lifting on it. I preordered it through the play store originally. The new one should be at my door today so I'll report back with whether its a c70 or c80 or whatever. I'm hoping this one is okay because I don't want to send another one back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The internal serial wouldn't match the box and might cause issues for somebody but the store probably returns opened items if you say its defective.

The number with the Cxx, ie. C60 - is listed as the SSN. The internal serial number is listed on the box as well under CSSN.

Reactions: dmmarck

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a C60 from office depot and haven't had any problems at all. Guess I got lucky

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This situation reminds me of the first Asus Transformer and the keyboard dock issue. The dock wouldn't shut itself off and the battery would drain overnight. It wasn't until the third batch came out (and a firmware update) that it was totally fixed.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hm, I have a C60 as well, but there are no hardware issues with mine, only software glitches on the launcher screen.

Ugh. I don't know what I could accept; a few hardware "blemishes", or fine hardware with software issues.

after thinking about it...

I'll take a small screen lift that doesn't affect the actual use, rather than software issues that affect how I can utilize the tablet. :(

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from Sams and it is a C60. I don't see any of the issues being discussed, if I understand what I am looking for. The glass around the top edge is flush and I don't see any issues with the display. Am I safe or just waiting for a failure in the near future?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from Sams and it is a C60. I don't see any of the issues being discussed, if I understand what I am looking for. The glass around the top edge is flush and I don't see any issues with the display. Am I safe or just waiting for a failure in the near future?

Probably fine. I'm sure there are a few good ones in there. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for responding so quickly! This forum is fantastic for us newbies to this new adventure in the Android world. I love my Nexus 7 and hope I didn't get a lemon. It would be interesting to see if the bad ones all ended up in a certain area and might be one or two batches that didn't come out right. There seems to be enough posts from people with no issues to indicate that there may have been a batch or two that didn't come out right. At the rate they must be cranking these out it is to be expected.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Around the top... check the left side of the bezel. That's the only place I've seen the raised lip, aka screen lift, personally.

I hope I'll find that golden egg soon. I'll be even happier! :)

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just received my brand new N7 purchased straight from Google Play store. I literally got it this morning. It's A C70 and I'm happy to report thus far ZERO defects or issues.

I'll do some more testing and report my findings but this far I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality and this tablet in general. :D

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Reporting in again, I received my replacement from the Play Store today, it's a C70, and there is no creaking sound when pressing on the right bezel (an issue with my old one), but the screen is lifted a tiny amount - and by that I mean less than .5mm, so small I would not have noticed if I wasn't looking for it, so I'm happy with what I got and won't return this one. The new C70 batch seems to be a good one.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Reporting in again, I received my replacement from the Play Store today, it's a C70, and there is no creaking sound when pressing on the right bezel (an issue with my old one), but the screen is lifted a tiny amount - and by that I mean less than .5mm, so small I would not have noticed if I wasn't looking for it, so I'm happy with what I got and won't return this one. The new C70 batch seems to be a good one.

That sounds really encouraging to get a replacement along the lines of a C70...