A warning for those purchasing through Samsung Direct

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am posting this as a warning, more or less, for those who are considering purchasing a phone from Samsung Direct.

If you think there is even the slightest change that you will return the device, I would highly recommend against it.

I have been attempting to return an unlocked Samsung Note 8 for over a month now. The phone was purchased via Samsung's website, with Samsung financing.
The phone was purchased for my wife, who has used the Galaxy line of phones for several years. Upon receiving and setting up the phone, it was immediately noticeable that something was wrong with the phone. It was constantly warm to the touch, the camera consistently failed to launch, and apps that worked on her older phone (Nest, Hearthstone, Pintrest, etc...common and widely used apps) wouldn't open. Over the next 2-3 days, I performed two factory resets, and well as contacted Samsung support multiple times. The phone also didn't want to work on T-Mobiles network, in that text messaging and calls wouldn't go through. Samsung and I came to the conclusion that the phone was defective. We opted to return the device, and my wife purchased a different device (a pixel xl 2), despite wanting certain note 8 features. Her job, and the need for a working phone, won out.

Anyway, I contacted Samsung, and they sent me a return label. The phone only left the house once, and as mentioned before, it was only in our possession for a few days. The phone was also in a case from day one, and as such it was/still is in pristine condition (of which I have documented and have photos).

I immediately returned the Note 8 in its original box with all the included extras (even the plastic wrapping), the included sim card, and the Gear Fit Pro 2 that has been purchased along side it.

The phone and extra were received by Samsung a few days later. The phone was purchased on the 10/31/17, delivered to myself on 11/3/17, and the returned was received and signed for by Samsung on 11/13/17.

The Gear Fit 2 Pro was accepted. The phone was return was rejected on 11/22/17. I immediately called Samsung, and after holding for over an hour, I was told it was a mistake. I was told that they would cancel the return shipment, and reprocess the return.

The next business day, I got a notification that the phone was out for delivery to my address (Black Friday). I called Samsung, and was told to accept the delivery and call back.

I accepted the delivery and opened the box. The phone was there along with the original box. All the contents of the box. The phone box had never been opened. I know this, because I put a piece of green labeling tap on the corner of the box, as well as a green piece of tap on the interior to hold the phone in place during shipment (the plastic was put back on the phone, and the tap was in contact with the plastic). Neither pieces of tap were disturbed, and were exactly as I had placed them. The box had never been opened.

So I called Samsung back, as instructed, and I was told I would receive another return label in 2-3 days. I also asked (not for the first time) why the return was rejected. It is now 12/8/17, and I still don''t know the reason. No matter what level of support I contact or reach, no one can tell me why.

Anyway, between 11/24/17 and yesterday, 12/7/17, I had spent several hours on the phone with Samsung. I was told the same thing, for the most part, that I would receive the return label any day, that it was all a mistake in the system, and to be patient. Meanwhile, I have a $1000 device that doesn't work properly, and I can't use/have no use for. Eventually, the case was escalated high enough that I received an apologetic email from the Samsung's Office of the President (specific to ecommerce, I believe). I corresponded with them, but they only responded once, telling me the same thing I had been told over the phone.

Anyway, yesterday, I received a return label. I immediately checked the label, only to see that it was the exact label they had sent me originally. It had already been used, with the old tracking information showing up. Thus, it was invalid. I called Samsung, and after an hour of holding, I was told that the "label was renewed" and that I should take it to Fedex. Despite knowing better, I complied and took the packaged box to Fedex. Fedex did exactly as I predicted, and denied acceptance of the shipment.
So again, I called Samsung. This is where it got really phone. Over the course of 3 hours, I was told the following things by one Employee: -Fedex should never deny a label, you must of took it to the wrong place (Nope) -This is a Fedex problem and not ours, you need to deal with their customer support (Nope, again) -There is no way for use to generate a second label, this situation is out of our hands (Not acceptable). -"Sir, it appears to me that you may be trying to scam Samsung" (I am, overall, a nice person when dealing with customer service. I understand what it is to do their job...but I was getting rather frustrated at this point). -"Sir, why don't you just sell the phone? It would be faster." (What kind of response is this? Its defective for one, but still...).

So finally, I got frustrated enough and asked to speak to a supervisor. After holding for another hour, I was put in contact with a supervisor by the name of Osam. He, honestly, was a pleasure to talk to. He seemed regretful that the previous employee had made the above statements, and processed a $50 gift card as an apology (which I haven't received yet, but it has only been 24 hours.) He then stated that I would receive a new label in 3-5 days.

At this point, I have corresponded at length with Samsung support, and I still have not been able to return the device.

I have filled a claim with my state's Attorney General, and they are now looking into the issue. As a side note, I have begun CCing the AG on my emails to Samsungs "Office of the President". As of 12:17, 12/8/2017, Samsung is refusing to send me a new label, stating that the "Old label has been made so that it can be used again". I have contacted Fedex, and verified that this is not the case (they don't reuse label, for one). So I am currently trying to get them to send me a valid label.

TL&DR: Don't order a phone from Samsung direct, if expect anything resembling customer service. Best case, you will be frustrated, and worst case you may be stuck with a $1000 phone that you cannot use

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I understand you have an issue and I'm sorry to hear that, but you need to fix your post. TL&DR and insufficient paragraph breaks. my eyes are crossing just trying.

wish you luck, and I would never, under ANY circumstance, buy anything except cases direct from Sammy. NMW (no matter what)

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience with Samsung support, bought my first note 8 on amazon UK as it was the only way I could get preorder living in Ireland (not even through Samsung directly believe it or not)
it started to give me an error about moisture in the charging port which apparently is a known issue on other models... anyways, I rang support on Tuesday and they confirmed the 24 months warranty and confirmed pick up for Friday but could only say between 9am and 6pm, not happy to sit at home waiting for 9 hours but no choice.... it wasn't picked up and now it's weekend.... Monday I call support giving out and even get to speak to a manager and it is now to be picked up today Monday.... guess what... between 9am and 6pm so another 9 hour wait and guess what.. it wasn't picked up, rang again Tuesday morning and lost the plot with them a bit when I was told it was scheduled for pick up today Tuesday between 9 and 6...told them to F.. off a. d hung up.
Fpund a contact option for tje CEO office and write a fairly stern email, within 2 hours I had a phone call from Samsung Ireland repair centre sho organised a courier pick up within a couple of hours, next day I get a call from them that it would be 10-12 working days instead of 7-10 because they needed the spare parts to come from the middle east, this now Wednesday 8 days after first initial call, 2 days later on Friday the phone is delivered to me with no repair done and the included docket says *software update*
I just hope the error does not reappear but I'm mainly using my other Note I got through upgrade discount because I didn't want to wait 10 days so we'll see, it has 24 months warranty after all and I have had enough hassle with them just for now

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience with Samsung support, bought my first note 8 on amazon UK as it was the only way I could get preorder living in Ireland (not even through Samsung directly believe it or not)

sorry to hear you had issues. it must have been frustrating.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
sorry to hear you had issues. it must have been frustrating.

it really was but it was my luck I was at the end of my contract so by upping my plan by a fiver to unlimited everything plus free Spotify and couple of hours international minutes etc.. I got another note for 399, obviously I lost the upgrade that I was going to use next year for a note 9 but at least I can sell one of the Note 8 to subsidise the purchase when the time comes if I want one.
at the end I'll still be out of pocket a few hundred quid though

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
yeah, 983 for the first one, 399 plus 24x5 extra for the second one so basically 1500 spent on phones in 2 months, i should get 5/600 back selling one next year though... but still not happy with how Samsung has handled this and no guarantee that problems are solved as they only reflashed the software.
still a note lover though :)

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
yeah, 983 for the first one, 399 plus 24x5 extra for the second one so basically 1500 spent on phones in 2 months, i should get 5/600 back selling one next year though... but still not happy with how Samsung has handled this and no guarantee that problems are solved as they only reflashed the software.
still a note lover though :)

OUCH worse than I thought. glad you're happy, though. notes are special.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
OUCH worse than I thought. glad you're happy, though. notes are special.

yes OUCH is right, however... I got 335 for my Note 4 and accessories plus I had budgeted for the hit buying preorder as I didn't bother with note 5 and the 7 didn't even become an option in this country.
I look at it this way.... in the end I didn't save anything but didn't over spend either, I would need 600 for one of my 2 Note 8 for that to be reality though but it shouldn't be to difficult even a few months down the line.
also got the free Dex station so my Note 8 double as a very nice desktop computer as well.
you can't win them all and I have been lucky over the years getting good money back selling my phones because I look after them, small hit in the end on this one but not worth the stress

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
That sucks. It's always best, if possible to buy from the carrier and buy it in person at the actual carrier store if possible and even then there can still be issues.

Many might recall on here last year with the Note 7 the disaster I had with Tmobile trying to get my refund for the Note 7 and how it took THREE months to get a refund due to the store I took my Note 7 to exchange didn't process the return properly and only refunded me the tax. Then they said it was not possible to issue me a refund and wanted to give me a big bill credit and that it simply wasn't possible to issue me a refund. Then I finally got a hold of someone with a brain from Tforce who finally followed through properly and within 3 days got me my full refund back onto my card after talking to countless tforce reps, call center reps and supervisors.

I was preparing to contact the local media at that time about doing a story on it as well as getting the attorney general office and feds involved to try and get my refund.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung just don't seem to want to have to deal with customers directly and the bit they do, they do poorly, kinda weird when you think about it, best products but worst customer service ever

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Direct is an absolute horror to deal with when something goes wrong. They stall, change stories, misinform, misdirect, lie - basically anything they can do to drag out the situation in the hope you will go away. Most frustrating company I have ever dealt with - and that is saying a lot. I feel bad for anyone who gets stuck in the black hole they call "customer service" .

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I am posting this as a warning, more or less, for those who are considering purchasing a phone from Samsung Direct.

If you think there is even the slightest change that you will return the device, I would highly recommend against it.

I have been attempting to return an unlocked Samsung Note 8 for over a month now. The phone was purchased via Samsung's website, with Samsung financing.
The phone was purchased for my wife, who has used the Galaxy line of phones for several years. Upon receiving and setting up the phone, it was immediately noticeable that something was wrong with the phone. It was constantly warm to the touch, the camera consistently failed to launch, and apps that worked on her older phone (Nest, Hearthstone, Pintrest, etc...common and widely used apps) wouldn't open. Over the next 2-3 days, I performed two factory resets, and well as contacted Samsung support multiple times. The phone also didn't want to work on T-Mobiles network, in that text messaging and calls wouldn't go through. Samsung and I came to the conclusion that the phone was defective. We opted to return the device, and my wife purchased a different device (a pixel xl 2), despite wanting certain note 8 features. Her job, and the need for a working phone, won out.

Anyway, I contacted Samsung, and they sent me a return label. The phone only left the house once, and as mentioned before, it was only in our possession for a few days. The phone was also in a case from day one, and as such it was/still is in pristine condition (of which I have documented and have photos).

I immediately returned the Note 8 in its original box with all the included extras (even the plastic wrapping), the included sim card, and the Gear Fit Pro 2 that has been purchased along side it.

The phone and extra were received by Samsung a few days later. The phone was purchased on the 10/31/17, delivered to myself on 11/3/17, and the returned was received and signed for by Samsung on 11/13/17.

The Gear Fit 2 Pro was accepted. The phone was return was rejected on 11/22/17. I immediately called Samsung, and after holding for over an hour, I was told it was a mistake. I was told that they would cancel the return shipment, and reprocess the return.

The next business day, I got a notification that the phone was out for delivery to my address (Black Friday). I called Samsung, and was told to accept the delivery and call back.

I accepted the delivery and opened the box. The phone was there along with the original box. All the contents of the box. The phone box had never been opened. I know this, because I put a piece of green labeling tap on the corner of the box, as well as a green piece of tap on the interior to hold the phone in place during shipment (the plastic was put back on the phone, and the tap was in contact with the plastic). Neither pieces of tap were disturbed, and were exactly as I had placed them. The box had never been opened.

So I called Samsung back, as instructed, and I was told I would receive another return label in 2-3 days. I also asked (not for the first time) why the return was rejected. It is now 12/8/17, and I still don''t know the reason. No matter what level of support I contact or reach, no one can tell me why.

Anyway, between 11/24/17 and yesterday, 12/7/17, I had spent several hours on the phone with Samsung. I was told the same thing, for the most part, that I would receive the return label any day, that it was all a mistake in the system, and to be patient. Meanwhile, I have a $1000 device that doesn't work properly, and I can't use/have no use for. Eventually, the case was escalated high enough that I received an apologetic email from the Samsung's Office of the President (specific to ecommerce, I believe). I corresponded with them, but they only responded once, telling me the same thing I had been told over the phone.

Anyway, yesterday, I received a return label. I immediately checked the label, only to see that it was the exact label they had sent me originally. It had already been used, with the old tracking information showing up. Thus, it was invalid. I called Samsung, and after an hour of holding, I was told that the "label was renewed" and that I should take it to Fedex. Despite knowing better, I complied and took the packaged box to Fedex. Fedex did exactly as I predicted, and denied acceptance of the shipment.
So again, I called Samsung. This is where it got really phone. Over the course of 3 hours, I was told the following things by one Employee: -Fedex should never deny a label, you must of took it to the wrong place (Nope) -This is a Fedex problem and not ours, you need to deal with their customer support (Nope, again) -There is no way for use to generate a second label, this situation is out of our hands (Not acceptable). -"Sir, it appears to me that you may be trying to scam Samsung" (I am, overall, a nice person when dealing with customer service. I understand what it is to do their job...but I was getting rather frustrated at this point). -"Sir, why don't you just sell the phone? It would be faster." (What kind of response is this? Its defective for one, but still...).

So finally, I got frustrated enough and asked to speak to a supervisor. After holding for another hour, I was put in contact with a supervisor by the name of Osam. He, honestly, was a pleasure to talk to. He seemed regretful that the previous employee had made the above statements, and processed a $50 gift card as an apology (which I haven't received yet, but it has only been 24 hours.) He then stated that I would receive a new label in 3-5 days.

At this point, I have corresponded at length with Samsung support, and I still have not been able to return the device.

I have filled a claim with my state's Attorney General, and they are now looking into the issue. As a side note, I have begun CCing the AG on my emails to Samsungs "Office of the President". As of 12:17, 12/8/2017, Samsung is refusing to send me a new label, stating that the "Old label has been made so that it can be used again". I have contacted Fedex, and verified that this is not the case (they don't reuse label, for one). So I am currently trying to get them to send me a valid label.

TL&DR: Don't order a phone from Samsung direct, if expect anything resembling customer service. Best case, you will be frustrated, and worst case you may be stuck with a $1000 phone that you cannot use

I would be tweeting @ them and posting on their Facebook accounts. Maybe you can find the head is Samsung USA email address.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got some positive responses from various lines of support at Samsung, but the problem remains with the label.

They keep sending me a duplicate, already-used, invalid label. I can't explain this too them in any other way.....

I am going to offer to ship it myself, or drive the phone to the return depot. I only live about 2 hours away.

------------

I have tried the Twitter route to no avail. If anyone knows the contact info for a higher up, I would appreciate it.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue with their trade in program. Blew them up on Twitter too to no avail.

Things like this make me consider going to Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej