Where to buy Nexus 7 speaker assembly??

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
The speakers blew in my Nexus 7 over the weekend. It seems to be a known issue. I don't have any of the other issues with my N7, so I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it to Google or Asus. I want to keep this one, but replace the speaker assembly myself. Ifixit.com has a very simple tutorial on how to replace it, but I can't find the speaker assembly for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just replace it under warranty? Your logic makes no sense (to me anyway).

Once you open the case you void your warranty, so if something goes wrong you're out of luck.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The speakers blew in my Nexus 7 over the weekend. It seems to be a known issue. I don't have any of the other issues with my N7, so I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it to Google or Asus. I want to keep this one, but replace the speaker assembly myself. Ifixit.com has a very simple tutorial on how to replace it, but I can't find the speaker assembly for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Brief Google search did yield this, don't know whether it's legit but it's out of stock:

Google Nexus 7 Speaker Assembly

There appear to be plenty of them on eBay, again of probably questionable legitimacy.

Personally, I'd just warranty-swap it. It's free, and the warranty remains valid.

Once you get out a soldering iron, fun as that is, all bets are off. And the replacement parts will cost you money.

Good luck either way.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you just replace it under warranty? Your logic makes no sense (to me anyway).

Once you open the case you void your warranty, so if something goes wrong you're out of luck.

I don't have any of the other issues- screen lifting, etc. I don't trust that I will get a solid replacement. My experience with warranty replacements has not been fun. Changing the speaker assembly is a simple task.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Brief Google search did yield this, don't know whether it's legit but it's out of stock:

Google Nexus 7 Speaker Assembly

There appear to be plenty of them on eBay, again of probably questionable legitimacy.

Personally, I'd just warranty-swap it. It's free, and the warranty remains valid.

Once you get out a soldering iron, fun as that is, all bets are off. And the replacement parts will cost you money.

Good luck either way.

That's the only site I found. The one's on ebay are probably already blown.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I shouldn't download that app called "Volume" to increase the sound........

If you're implying I downloaded that app you would be wrong.

I've had my N7 since the first batch of preorders shipped. I never had any issues until this weekend. I was watching the Transformers movie with my son and the speakers blew... volume was only about 75%.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you PM some of the people who posted about dropped/damaged Nexus 7s and see if you can buy their speaker from them?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any of the other issues- screen lifting, etc. I don't trust that I will get a solid replacement. My experience with warranty replacements has not been fun. Changing the speaker assembly is a simple task.

Fair enough, and I don't blame you then. I have one of the earlier models (SSN C60) that are supposed to be bad, but mine is OK so I would hesitate to swap it too.

nismospec

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
not trying to hijack this thread, but my speakers are full of static.
anyone know where to find some external/portable speakers for the N7?

don't have to be $100, just something to listen to that won't be full of static.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

don't have to be $100, just something to listen to that won't be full of static.

Anywhere really. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon. You can probably pick up something decent for 20 or 30 bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

releveler

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a blown speaker too when I was playing with my pocket Arnold soundboard. The volume was only at 75%. Google support sent me a brand new device when I told them what the problem was.
I wish Google or nexus sold their bad units with a blown speaker. I would buy one if it was heavily discounted.

MyName1sMud

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're implying I downloaded that app you would be wrong.

I've had my N7 since the first batch of preorders shipped. I never had any issues until this weekend. I was watching the Transformers movie with my son and the speakers blew... volume was only about 75%.

No. I wasn't implying anything. I was simply saying if your speakers blew then I'm guessing it's a bad idea to download something that makes your speakers even louder

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
No. I wasn't implying anything. I was simply saying if your speakers blew then I'm guessing it's a bad idea to download something that makes your speakers even louder

I agree with that. I actually was happy with the volume of the speakers before they blew... about 95% of the time I never had volume turned on. I do have new speaker assembly on the way. I'm going to look for some small external speakers for future movie watching.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
So just an update if anyone cares... replacing the speaker assembly takes about 2 minutes and, as long as you're careful, there is no way to know the rear cover was removed. It was simple.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

More expensive than you may want, but the original Jambox is a decent little portable BT speaker, esp if you don't mind bass heavy and a bit deficient in the highs.

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So just an update if anyone cares... replacing the speaker assembly takes about 2 minutes and, as long as you're careful, there is no way to know the rear cover was removed. It was simple.

Is there a video of this somewhere? I searched but no luck. My speakers are fine but it just helps to know just in case.