Nexus 7: 16GB or 32GB? C8O or C9O?

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I'm a bit conflicted here.

I have a chance to grab a new Nexus 7 16GB C8OK model (from the August shipment) for pretty much the same price as the 8GB due to a friend's in-store discount at Radio Shack.

However, there's talk of the 32GB coming and there are stores popping up online showing that the 16GB is becoming End of Life and the 32GB is replacing it (probably around October 24 - 29th).

I don't think I'd be buying the tablet from the Play Store so no insane shipping & handling for me. It'd probably be $267.50 vs the $214.00 I'd pay for the 16GB. Basically, a $53.50 payment for 16GB more.

Is it REALLY needed or should I just get the 16GB? I've ordered 3 OTG cables from the recent thing with Amazon.com and I have one already.

What about the serial number? It's a C8OK model (from August) when C9O is the most current (from September) model. Both models have screen lift and wonky speakers but the C9O versions seem to have it less. I don't know though, from what I've seen it's pretty minor but the creaking noise is kind of annoying.

I'd mostly use it for a few games like The Dark Knight Rises, Plague, Inc., Angry Birds Space, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, probably Dead Space and Shadowgun. I'd also use it for grocery keeping, roaming around online with Chrome and maybe some podcasts and books.

Not sure if I should just wait for the 32 and pay the extra $53 or just stay with the 16GB. There's also the question of the 32GB's quality control considering the screen lift issue and fragile screen still aren't fixed even with the C9O models.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to game, I'd wait for the 32GB version. Unfortunately, not all rumors are true. If you really have time, I'd say wait it out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to game, I'd wait for the 32GB version. Unfortunately, not all rumors are true. If you really have time, I'd say wait it out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting it out but I'm not sure... especially since they'd probably just be announced late this month and actually ship next month when I can just get the 15GB next week. Then there's also the whole "first adopter" thing. Those who were the first adopters of the 8 and 16GB variants had a lot of issues that those with the C7O - C9O don't have so much.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting it out but I'm not sure... especially since they'd probably just be announced late this month and actually ship next month when I can just get the 15GB next week. Then there's also the whole "first adopter" thing. Those who were the first adopters of the 8 and 16GB variants had a lot of issues that those with the C7O - C9O don't have so much.

It's not like they're going to reintroduce hardware issues on the 32gb. It's a bump in storage with maybe very few internal changes (different charging circuit).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
C7O - the number 7 is the month the device is shipped to retailers. C60 had some issues but from C7 all issues got fixed so buying C7- C9 is the same except one is shipped earlied and the other is recent shipment. Any device that comes on October will be C10

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not like they're going to reintroduce hardware issues on the 32gb. It's a bump in storage with maybe very few internal changes (different charging circuit).

Yah, that is true. I'll probably just see when the tablet will actually be in stores before I make up my mind then.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
from what I've seen it's pretty minor but the creaking noise is kind of annoying..
Those were the early adopters. I have a recent C80 and there's no creak or screen lift. Nice tablet. Wish the NFC antenna were a bit stronger is the only nit with it. And I haven't filled it yet. Make a list of the games you want and see how much space they take. Most games aren't that huge.
But if your friend has a RS discount and the 32GB is coming out soon, I'd just wait for that since it'll be the same price as the 16GB and there's no SD slot...

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
C7O - the number 7 is the month the device is shipped to retailers. C60 had some issues but from C7 all issues got fixed so buying C7- C9 is the same except one is shipped earlied and the other is recent shipment. Any device that comes on October will be C10

I didn't even see this post, sorry!

Yeah, I'm guessing the C10O will be the 32GB

Those were the early adopters. I have a recent C80 and there's no creak or screen lift. Nice tablet. Wish the NFC antenna were a bit stronger is the only nit with it. And I haven't filled it yet. Make a list of the games you want and see how much space they take. Most games aren't that huge.
But if your friend has a RS discount and the 32GB is coming out soon, I'd just wait for that since it'll be the same price as the 16GB and there's no SD slot...

Therein lies the problem though. Neither of us know if Radio Shack will get the 32GB. They took forever to actually get the 16GB in-store so we don't know when it's coming to RS.

It'll most likely hit other stores before RS actually sells them as that's usually what happens. RS HQ isn't requiring their stores to sell the Nexus 7 like they are requiring them to sell the iPad so some stores may not even carry it.

New question for everyone
Service plan or no service plan? Is ASUS' 1-year warranty enough or should I just get a service plan to go with it?

Last edited:

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're not in a hurry, I would just wait. Supposedly we will know what's going on in late October, which isn't that far away. If you can get a C9O, great, if you can't, well it's not the end of the world. Considering how many N7's are sold vs the ones that have issues, the problems are relatively small. As long as you get a good one out of the box, at this point the production date is irrelevant.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're not in a hurry, I would just wait. Supposedly we will know what's going on in late October, which isn't that far away. If you can get a C9O, great, if you can't, well it's not the end of the world. Considering how many N7's are sold vs the ones that have issues, the problems are relatively small. As long as you get a good one out of the box, at this point the production date is irrelevant.

I'll have to wait at least a week regardless due to paychecks. :p

Would you say getting an extended warranty is a good idea though?

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence about getting an extended warranty. I didn't read about all the issues until after I took the N7 home. Deep down inside, I slightly regret not paying that extra $28 for a piece of mind, but I don't know how Walmart warranty functions either.

Don't know if you get a discount price on warranty at radioshack with employee discount, but back in the hay day, employee discount at Best Buy was extremely deep and was worth the purchase.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence about getting an extended warranty. I didn't read about all the issues until after I took the N7 home. Deep down inside, I slightly regret not paying that extra $28 for a piece of mind, but I don't know how Walmart warranty functions either.

Don't know if you get a discount price on warranty at radioshack with employee discount, but back in the hay day, employee discount at Best Buy was extremely deep and was worth the purchase.

Radio Shack is charging $144 for warranty...you said Walmart is $28?? I might just pay full price if I can get a $28 warranty then. All said and done, that RS warranty would go far more than $250...about $354--$100 more. Wow.

I DO know that Radio Shack's warrranty starts the moment you step out of the store with the new item and runs concurrent with the manufacturer's so you don't have to wait for ASUS' to run out.

Hmm.. more to think about.

(Edit: That RS price is for 2-yr. They don't have a 1-yr for the Nexus 7.)

evanthepanther

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
honestly, the 16gb is far more than you'll ever need. I've got probably around 20 games on my n7 (which include gta3, and a few other "big" ones), and maybe 60 or so apps. As of now (just checked) I have 6.81 gb free, out of the original 13.24. There is literally nothing else I can think of adding onto my n7. Just in case I already rooted it, so I could hook up flash drives as extra storage. I think the 32gb would really become WAY too crowded, and you/we would end up just filling it full of crap

pachi72

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
honestly, the 16gb is far more than you'll ever need. I've got probably around 20 games on my n7 (which include gta3, and a few other "big" ones), and maybe 60 or so apps. As of now (just checked) I have 6.81 gb free, out of the original 13.24. There is literally nothing else I can think of adding onto my n7. Just in case I already rooted it, so I could hook up flash drives as extra storage. I think the 32gb would really become WAY too crowded, and you/we would end up just filling it full of crap

16gb is not enough. 32gb is the sweet spot. With 16gb you really only have like 12gb. With 32gb you have 27gb. So your getting more for your buck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I'm curious about is:

Other than more storage space, will the 32GB version have anything different from the 8gb and 16gb models?

Better internals? Screen? Etc etc...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Storage needs vary a lot by person. I have the 16gb, and haven't had any issues in spite of installing a lot of games & apps, but if I were doing road trips all the time, I'd love something with a lot more storage for more offline music. It all depends on your use and need, as well as how much the money means to you. If you have a minimum wage job, $50 means a lot more than if you have a secure job in a highly paid profession. IMO, 16gb is a lot of space for apps, but not a lot of space for file & music storage on top of the apps.