Can apps that are not from Google Play be updated?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Since today's update dolphin no longer shows up in Google play. I have the side loaded version 8.5.1. Saves me from accidently updating dolphin and losing flash

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Since today's update dolphin no longer shows up in Google play. I have the side loaded version 8.5.1. Saves me from accidently updating dolphin and losing flash

apps can only updated that are installed from google play.

If you side loaded then you have to keep track of it and download the apk manually and install it.

sometimes some app has self update feature build in. but thats very rare.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
apps can only updated that are installed from google play.

If you side loaded then you have to keep track of it and download the apk manually and install it.

sometimes some app has self update feature build in. but thats very rare.

I know that. But dolphin always showed up on the previous OS version even though I side loaded. Now it is gone from play store on both n7s

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Dolphin Browser is indeed in the Google Play Store, but it's now marked as "Your device isn't compatible with this version." It will only show up in the search list if you start typing the exact app name, and then choose that specific app from the list. However, the mini and pad versions are compatible and will show up if you do a general search.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that if an app goes from being compatible to not compatible, it won't show up on your previously downloaded apps list. If I remember right, I think that happened to me a couple months ago, but I forget what app it was.

To update apps not originally downloaded from Google Play, obviously go to the source from where you first got it. If it's an alternative app store and you use their app to access it, that app might have an auto update service. At the very least it will probably have a manual update notification area. Just visit that app store occasionally to check on updates.

The alternative that I use most often to download apps that Google Play lists as incompatible is 1Mobile Market. Download their app store app from www.1mobile.com. (Their app is available on Google Play, but it's marked as incompatible, though works fine.) They have the regular Dolphin Browser available, so you can download and update it from there. (Other legitimate app stores that I use are Amazon and SlideME Market.)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that. But dolphin always showed up on the previous OS version even though I side loaded. Now it is gone from play store on both n7s

sorry. didnt mean to reply to you. i meant to reply to OP. instead of pressing reply i pressed reply with quotes.

but to answer ur question, Nope never!!! Google play never displayed sided loaded app on google play store for updates... i have used Android from GB and it was never there.

when u search for the app in play store it will say that the app is installed but you cannot update(even if the update button is enabled. it will error out) or wont show in my apps in playstore ever.(even now it behave the same way.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas