Only charges while turned off

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I know the nexus has had some charging woes, but since the latest update, my N7 won't recognize a charge, unless I turn it off. It won't acknowledge the fact a USB is plugged in, and won't charge at all with the device on. After I power it down, it charges full within a couple of hours and shows the battery charge screen as soon as the USB is connected.

Thinking about doing a factory reset... think it would help? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are like me, you probably have a bunch of usb charging cables that you have collected from various devices over the years. Are you sure you are using the correct one?

I have a usb power cable that came with an old camera that I used to have, it wont charge most of my devices correctly. Once I unplug that one and plug in the right cable, my stuff charges fine.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
bas.androiddev brings up an excellent point - what cables and charger are you using? Both matter very much. If it's doing this with the stock cable & charger, then it's probably time for a call to customer support or trying a factory reset.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The stock power cable is what I use. Its a weird issue. Doesn't recognize a charge when its on, but does when its off. I think a factory reset is in my future.... Oh, and I've tried various other USB power blocks and cables to no avail.

RHS

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I am using the stock cable and I sometimes have to unplug it and then plug it in again to get it to charge. It doesn't seem to recognize it the first time for some reason.

dskelly

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, make sure that you are using the AC adapter that came with the Nexus 7. Some 3rd party AC adapters do not put out enough current to charge tablet; they may work for a phone or other devices, but tablets want more current. Look for 5v DC / 2amp charger to properly charge the tablet.

PetiePal

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
This. From what I understand it takes a larger 2amp draw and most older cables MAY not support it. Are you using the stock charging solution?

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're rooted and running a custom rom/kernel but if you are try another rom/kernel.

I know you said after the update but I figured I'd throw it out there.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I have used various USB wall chargers and PC it always starts recharging with no problem even after update.

Without realizing it, I once used my cell phone charger. It would not charge and, if I recall correctly, received a notice that I was not using the right cable. Google specifically mentions not using cables other than the one made for the Nexus 7.

I'd do as latenigtcam recommended. Call support and get a new unit.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Using the stock charger. I just did a factory reset and it did not fix my issue. I'm sure I will have to call asus try to stop out for another. It's just interesting that it will charge when the device is off, and will not charge when the devices on. Was thinking it was a software issue, but apparently it's hardware.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My old htc did this, my wiring was a bit frayed inside so i would always need to give it a bit of a wiggle and hold it in a spot with tape. Probably not the same case with you but just an experience i've had.

Gooners

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just started having this issue with the Galaxy Nexus. I've been using the stock charge and cables since I've gotten the product.
I've recently updated to 4.1.2.

I can charge perfectly when the device is off, so it can't be a hardware thing with the phone connectivity being worn?
I don't know where else to pin point this, because it happened abruptly.

I did the factory rest, after the phone battery waiting about for it, and sim card, and battery drain.

Any other solutions? I'm also abroad in the UK, and my phone came from there, so I thought that can't be the case either since my charger is UK and OEM.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, turned out the USB cable I was using was from a Blackberry. I don't even know where it came from, I've never owned a Blackberry. I think a co-worker may have "borrowed" it from my desk and returned the wrong one. Switched to the cable that came with my GNex and it charges fine now.

rybu

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same issue. The phone charges when powered-off, but won't charge when its powered-up. It also just started happening after an upgrade two days ago. It sounds like it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. Like the OP, I'm using all the original/factory gear, including the charger. It behaves the same way charging off a USB port as with the wall plug.

Droid Kitty

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 only charges when power is off

My Nexus 7 is experiencing this after updating to 4.2.1 recently. I have tried a factory reset, different chargers, boot loading after power down, tricks and tips...to no avail. This has to be related to my recent update as we have two in the home and only the updated tablet has this issue.

Frustrating but hopefully an update is upcoming?

For now, I have to power down to charge.

Last edited:

Droid Kitty

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The big problem is that the USB is not recognized so that takes many of my options OFF the table. I cannot plug my Nexus 7 into my computer via USB and work on the issue. It will not recognize it.

I can, however, still use my Nexus 7 and charge it up with a USB...but ONLY when it's powered down. I have tried recovery mode and other options as well. I do believe from all that I've tried that it has to do with the 4.2.1 update.

Erik, what version are you on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas