What eBook format to use/buy?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the Nexus, and am interested in using it to read ebooks. I have never used an eBook reader.

I've downloaded a few different readers (Aldiko, Cool Reader, FBReader) and am now looking to add books. Is there a particular format that I need to download/use? Or can I download any format, and the readers I've got can handle them all?

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Kindle for Android let's you read kindle books. I think B&N has one for Nook. I had problems with aldiko, but someone suggested Mantano Reader for epub books that have Adobe DRM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

I ordered and downloaded 3 books from ebooks.com. All 3 can be read using the ebooks reader, but only 1 of the 3 can be read using any of the other readers I have installed. Any ideas on why that's happening?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

I ordered and downloaded 3 books from ebooks.com. All 3 can be read using the ebooks reader, but only 1 of the 3 can be read using any of the other readers I have installed. Any ideas on why that's happening?

its better to buy it from non DRM than DRM like Anazon/Nook.
its hassle free.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So, is there no way to "fix" this issue? It seems to me that these readers should be able to open an ePub book, shouldn't they?

If not, is there a way to tell if an eBook is DRM or non_DRM before it's purchased?

Thx

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, is there no way to "fix" this issue? It seems to me that these readers should be able to open an ePub book, shouldn't they?

If not, is there a way to tell if an eBook is DRM or non_DRM before it's purchased?

Thx

you can buy it on any format but before buying make sure the selling sells drm free books.

for example i know amazon sells drm books. so before buying look at the support page to see if it is drm free.

also, dont worry about it too much. there are ways to break the drm and use it anywhere like the apps you downloaded.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand why a book I've paid for can't be read by any reader except ebooks. I'm not trying to get something for nothing - I'd just like to have the flexibility to use the reader of MY choice...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand why a book I've paid for can't be read by any reader except ebooks. I'm not trying to get something for nothing - I'd just like to have the flexibility to use the reader of MY choice...

thats how the book publishers want it to be. just like how movie studio dont want dvd ripping feature in dvd's
the same like movies which you can purchase and stream but not download. I absolutely agree you dont understand.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
There are several issues involved here.

The first is that ebooks can have several different encoding (instructions for layout, etc) of formatting like ePub, Mobi, Prc, PDF, etc. AND eReaders often can not understand all of the possible encoding languages.
The solution to this is to choose as many readers as needed that understand the encoded books you purchase. It is possible that a reader like Moon+ will understand them all.

The second is that certain publishers (usually NOT the store) encrypt their books with proprietary copy protection (DRM). Some readers can handle some of these protections, but not necessarily all, since many versions exist. Generally you will need to do the same thing as above - silly isn't it ?

BEST solution: You can get a FREE application like "Calibre" for your desktop that will convert between encodings (like ePUB to Mobi) and also attempt to remove DRM and will transfer the new file to your reader. This would give you the ultimate flexibility, but it does take some effort to learn how to use Calibre. Sounds like you should give it a try at least.

Calibre - CNET Download.com

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Because you don't own the book, you just have s licence for it (like with software).

I get all mine from Amazon, but will look into drm free stuff at some point, but Amazon is just so easy, and it works.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. And thanks for the Calibre link, it looks like I'll be learning something new ;) When I installed these readers, they all appeared to be able to handle most of the popular formats. I thought I'd just be comparing differences in features - page turn animations, tags, etc.

Is there any way to determine the file format of the books I have already? EDIT: They are 'ePub for Digital Editions' format.

Last edited:

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've downloaded and installed Calibre, and have given it permission to manage the Nexus7. I can't find any of the books that are already installed on the tablet, though. Anyone know where to look for ebooks on the Nexus?

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dont think a default install of Calibre will help with DRM'd books, you can get around this but not sure if we can talk about that here

For Adobe DRM'd ePubs what you need to do is

Download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer and create an Adobe ID (This is what allows you to read the books on any device you use this ID on)
Buy/Download your book, this will place the book into Adobe Digital Editions

Select the reader you like (Mantano/Aldiko for example) and in the settings log in with the same ID you just created for Adobe
If you then copy the book over to your device it should be readable

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I d'loaded ADE, downloaded the books into ADE, and am just not sure how and where to sign into my reader of choice. I tried on the tablet, but there is no option to sign in. Do I need to install the reader on the PC?

paulsalter

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Is that ADE for android you downloaded? if so you dont really need that

I am on a Mac so the screens might be slightly different to the PC

Install ADE on your PC
the first part of this explains installing/registering
Adobe - Digital Editions : Help

find your book to download, this gives you a download link (.ascm file) which when you open this link in ADE will download the book and register the book to your adobe id and place the book in ADE

Then install the Android App (I currently use Montana and the option button is top right and then a section titled Adobe ID, I think Aldiko is similar but I havent looked for a while)
Copy the book over to the device (if you view properties of the book in ADE on your PC it will give the path for them) and import it into the reader

It is a lot simpler than it sounds, once you have the initial setup done it is very easy from then on

I have to go out for a bit now, but if you let me know the reader software you are using on the tablet I can check it out and see where the options are

Or just go with the reader for the store you get books from (I do use ADE like above for some things but mostly)
Kobo app for books from Kobo
Kindle for books bought from Amazon
Google Play Books for books bought from Google

jjngh1

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Kindle gets my vote. You can narrow the search options as apposed to Google play.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It is a lot simpler than it sounds, once you have the initial setup done it is very easy from then on

I have to go out for a bit now, but if you let me know the reader software you are using on the tablet I can check it out and see where the options are

Thanks! I've got Mantano working great now. I can't find how to activate Adobe in Aldiko however - there doesn't seem to be a Menu option for me to do that. I'd appreciate your help on that.

EDIT: I got it! When it gives the message that the device is not activated, you need to tap on that message and it takes you to the Adobe sign in. Duh!

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress