Do you find the quick settings menu on the Nexus 7 annoying?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I hate it. Why have two? The Quick Launch is nicer and more accessible, IMO, if it were to be integrated into the notification bar like in CM and other add on quick settings add ons.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Finally, a company does something to please those of us in the left handed minority, instead of always catering to you privileged right handers!

As a lefty, I hold the N7 with my right hand and touch the screen with my left. Therefore, the natural position of my swiping fingers is on the left side of the screen, which happens to be where one swipes down for the more commonly accessed notifications. Perfect! Thanks Google!!

I'm a lefty. I use my right thumb for notifications and this change annoys the cr@p outta me.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a lefty. I use my right thumb for notifications and this change annoys the cr@p outta me.
You are obviously an abnormal and defective lefty. How dare you use a thumb or finger on your right hand to perform a function. What is wrong with you? It's not too late, though. Stay away from the temptations of Righty World (as well as that mutant country of Ambidextrousland), and we will gladly welcome you back with open left arm. You'll probably need to go through some reorientation ("hold right, swipe left, hold right, swipe left" ), but it will be worth it. You will then rediscover the wonders of the Nexus 7 and its perfectly positioned swiping location for notifications.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say I don't like it necessarily, but it takes some getting used to. Try the Notification Toggle app. You can add any app or setting shortcut to the pull down menu. I also use Nova Prime launcher and have it set to bring down the notification by swiping down anywhere on the screen. Problem solved

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've sort of gotten accustomed to it, but think that the N7 would have been better off with the phone implementation of settings/notifications (i.e., the two finger scroll for settings.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Finally, a company does something to please those of us in the left handed minority, instead of always catering to you privileged right handers!

As a lefty, I hold the N7 with my right hand and touch the screen with my left. Therefore, the natural position of my swiping fingers is on the left side of the screen, which happens to be where one swipes down for the more commonly accessed notifications. Perfect! Thanks Google!! Thank goodness for this, because the thought of actually having to constantly move my finger a whole 1" to the right to get to notifications is unbearable.

Sent from my lefty-oriented, anti-austerity Nexus 7

This...

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've sort of gotten accustomed to it, but think that the N7 would have been better off with the phone implementation of settings/notifications (i.e., the two finger scroll for settings.)

This actually sounds like a much bigger pain to me

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could just use Power Toggles, which you can put in the notification pulldown.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353884430246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353884430246.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 64

bos1

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

As a lefty, I hold the N7 with my right hand and touch the screen with my left. Therefore, the natural position of my swiping fingers is on the left side of the screen, which happens to be where one swipes down for the more commonly accessed notifications. Perfect! Thanks Google!! Thank goodness for this, because the thought of actually having to constantly move my finger a whole 1" to the right to get to notifications is unbearable.

Sent from my lefty-oriented, anti-austerity Nexus 7

I feel like they were already catering to lefties with the navbar. As a righty I want the back button near my right thumb. If they'd just provide some customizability then everyone could be happy.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seriously guys, if using your other hand for notifications is actually a big problem for you, then you are really just looking for stuff to complain about. They simply made the " notifications pull down"just that, notifications only. If you hold your tablet in one hand only, then the two finger swipe down would have actually been far more difficult to use. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using both hands.

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
This was annoying me at first, but i have found that I like it better. After I got used to it, of course. Comes naturally now.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I like the new pull down. Notifications are separate, and there are more settings options. Took me a minute to find the settings, but once I did, I liked it.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I find I just don't use the quick actions bit.

With Nova launcher, I have it set to pull down the notifications if I swipe down anywhere on the screen (no need to reach to the top if my right thumb is already holding it at the bottom of the device) and a double tap goes straight to the full settings.

Maybe at some point I'll install the Power Toggles, but I hardly change the settings on my tablet that often. When I do, it is pretty easy just to double tap the screen and then tap to turn the wifi on/off.

-Suntan

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe at some point I'll install the Power Toggles, but I hardly change the settings on my tablet that often. When I do, it is pretty easy just to double tap the screen and then tap to turn the wifi on/off.
The most common shortcut of Power Toggles that I used was airplane mode. Unfortunately, in Jelly Bean 4.2 that shortcut no longer works due to the way security is done, so I now use the quick settings pull down menu to get to it. No big deal. Swipe down on the right side and there it is. (The wifi shortcut in Power Toggles still works fine.)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I really like it. I was able to remove some widgets/shortcuts from the desktop because I can now get to them there. I can see how it would be frustrating if you've developed habits around the old design, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member