N7 Display colour temperature....

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had phones with AMOLED family display for sometime now and am very happy with the colouration (albeit a bit 'over-saturated')....

Until I looked at my N7 - has anyone notices how drab the colours are on the N7 display when compared to a Samsung family Super Amoled dsiplay? I am a professional photographer so I pay attention to the colours and couldn't get over how dull, muted the colours seem on the N7 and can't help thinking that I might have a bad panel?

Anyone experience the same issue or should I just be patient and get used to the cooler / "duller" colours of the N7 display?

your thoughts?

cheers,

Jimmy

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked either display against your color calibration standards?

I don't know if the Nexus is under saturated and set too cool, or if the Samsung is over saturated and set too warm. Hard to say w/o the numbers. Also hard to say when, like me, you've never seen a Samsung. I do know that in TV displays, often colors are set up to very over saturated and far too warm to overcome the temperature of the florescent lighting in the stores. I wonder if some pads/phones, like the Samsung, are set the same way for the same reasons?

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Compared to my calibration card, the colours on the N7 seems to be on the cooler side while the AMOLED is very warm... both are on the extreme end, I think... I am not aware of any modifications / work around unless it's done through the software update.

If my N7 is set to the factory calibration, I might return it and get something else.

Jimmy

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've actually heard that the N7 is, on its own, noticeably warm; it's not too difficult to eyeball on my N7; if you're frustrated by the screen, there might be something wrong with your particular device. See if any stores near you have functional models that you could compare yours to.

though by nature of comparison to a screen that's extremely warm and moderately oversaturated, it's going to look cooler; if all your devices are like that, obviously the odd one out will look dramatically cooler/poorly saturated in comparison. I personally dislike intense oversaturation, so I have no qualms. though, my laptop is an ASUS product, so I myself probably adapted :p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty