The LG G4 is a great phone - it's just not for me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So I've had the G4 for two weeks now, and I think it's a really good phone. I doubt anyone who owned it would be really disappointed with it. It checks a lot of boxes, doesn't really have any major weakness, but I don't think I'll be hanging on to the phone for too long.

My mini-review/impressions:

- The screen is excellent. I like it more than the S6 screen, which I felt was too saturated. The G4 screen is bright, has great calibration, nice colours etc. No complaints there. The size is also really great for media content. Watching youtube videos on the 5.5" is really nice and it's great sitting on the train and not having to have the screen so close to me. Could have it just that little bit further and still make out all the finer details. It's great. If I had a screen of this quality on every phone I used, I'd be very happy.

- The camera is very good. Comparing the S6 camera to the G4 camera, they both have strengths and weaknesses. The G4 seems to do better with colour accuracy and lower light shots, whereas I feel the S6 handles exposure levels better. The G4 balances colours better, so when I took a photo on the G4, it processed the image to be more accurate to the real thing than the S6 which I felt would saturate things a little bit extra (or I'm not sure if it looked like that due to the screen saturation levels). However the G4 tends to over sharpen images just a tad so when you zoom in, you notice grain around defined lines which shouldn't be there. It seems like they were so focused on the phone taking crisp images that they wrote it to over sharpen just a bit. Overall though, both cameras are very good and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the G4 camera. It's low light performance is amazing. I was surprised at how well it would handle dimly lit shots.

- Performance was great. Again no major complaints there. It did have some awkward stutter moments here and there and some lags and hangs, but for the most part, it was very fast and smooth. I liked that pressing the multi-task button would pop up the apps right away, whereas there's a solid second delay on the S6, and the G4 seemed to handle ram management better (which is atrocious on the S6). Pleased with the performance, despite a few hiccups. Snapdragon 808 to me is just a number and I don't care how 'powerful' it is. I'd say it provided an overall faster and more consistent performance than the S6 to me. Just going around the UI, opening apps, doing things I want to do happens faster on the G4 than the S6 for me.

- The build to me was a disappointment. I had the black leather model and although I had read 'premium' this and 'quality' that, I didn't find the G4 feeling premium at all. It just felt like a standard plastic phone with a leather back. It wasn't even a really nice leather like you get in a car seat or furniture. It was a hard, almost plastic feeling leather to me. Plus for its size, the phone felt really light and didn't feel 'solid' like the HTC One phones or the S6 feels. Just felt like a plastic phone that has been made for years now. I definitely wouldn't attribute the word 'premium' to the feel of the G4. Maybe the brown leather feels different, but I'm not signing praises for the black leather. Hopefully there's a markedly improvement in the G5 next year. The stitched seam down the middle would cause the phone to tilt to one side as well as cause the phone to wobble majorly if I wanted to type while the phone was down on a flat surface. Would bounce around and spin as I'd type. The build/design was probably the most disappointing aspect of the phone to me.

- The size was just a fraction too big for me. Kinda like how Andrew Martonik posted in his article. While it is a 5.5" screen in a seemingly smallish body, but the sharp edges, and the bezels just pushed it ever so slightly into 'too large' for me. I couldn't navigate through the phone comfortably with one hand. I couldn't pull down the notification shade and hit the settings icon comfortably or reach the Google search widget easily without hitting the mic button on it. If it were the G3 size and design, it would have helped. As it is, I could just never use it comfortably. Oh and the slight curve on the screen - completely irrelevant. Added absolutely no benefit to the phone, I didn't even realise it was there. Don't know why they went with the curved phone, but whatever. It's not a 'feature' as in it improves anything about the phone, it just seems like a decision LG wanted to make to try and make the phone appear cooler than what it would have been with a flat screen.

- Buttons on the back. I'm yet to be convinced this provides any tangible benefit to using the phone. If the phone didn't have double tap to wake, then having the buttons on the back would have been one of the dumbest decisions and OEM could have made. Luckily it does have double tap to wake, however I don't find the back buttons practical or tangibly useful over side buttons. I still find myself 'searching' for the right button and constantly find myself pressing the camera module instead of the power button. Maybe it'll take longer to grow on me, but as it stands, I'm not a fan. Oh, and the buttons feel so cheap and tacky as well. They feel like the cheapest plastic LG could source to put on there. Doesn't have a nice click to them that the metal phones these days have (iP6, S6, One M9 etc).

- Sound is very loud, good quality, and unfortunately has poor range. The lowest volume of the sound (the setting just above mute) is so loud. Every other phone I've owned I usually just put it on the lowest volume setting so when I'm at work, my notification sound (the Hangouts default sound) will just ping softly. With the G4, it's a loud, intrusive ping. Working in a quiet office, it's not acceptable, so I've had to turn it to mute from now on. Not a big deal right? Well no, because also for alarms, the tone is so loud even at its softest setting, I've had to search for some tune that starts off extremely soft then builds up otherwise the phone would just jump scare me into waking me up. It's great that the volume can get loud, but I don't always want loud. The point of having a low volume is because I want a low volume.....

- Battery life for me was quite good. Better than the S6 easily. On an average day, I'm hitting around 5 - 5.5 hours screen time. Very acceptable to me over the 3.5 - 4 hours screen time I was getting on the S6. No complaints about battery, and having it removable is a bonus, even if I never used it.

- I also like that the G4 is extremely customisable to the point that you can choose what gallery app you want your default app to be. So going from the camera, you can pick to have Google Photos as the default gallery app. I like that. The S6 only has its own gallery app to use as the default, which doesn't help me as our software here doesn't allow auto rotate in images on the gallery.

- The software I'm still not a fan of. It's better than the G3's software, but not amazingly so. There were multiple things that I didn't like how the software - how the sound profiles work, how the 'smart' stuff didn't work (could never get it to auto mute when I was at work), didn't like the stock theme nor anything on the store, didn't like the lockscreen swipe options (all had gaudy animations). I liked that you could double press the volume down key to wake up the phone and launch the camera, but that function only works when the screen is off. If the phone is awake and I want to snap a pick, I can't just double press the volume down to launch the camera. The S6 allows you to double press the home button from literally anywhere and the camera will launch, imo a better implementation of the feature. Overall the software of the G4 and S6 didn't work for me. I don't particularly like using either phone, I just use them because I have them. I liked using the Nexus 5, I liked using the HTC One M8. Don't feel the same with the G4 or S6 unfortunately. Jerry has had a post stating the Nexus 6 is still the best Android phone on the market. While I haven't used it, I do agree that the software experience is so important to the overall experience, that I wouldn't doubt his assertion. I wish LG and Samsung really pulled their heads on and focused more on software than anything else. HTC, Motorola and Sony in my opinion have don't really decent jobs with their software, which has changes from stock Android, however is still nice to use. I don't feel LG or Samsung are in the same ballpark.

There's so much to really like about the G4. It's fast, it's crazy customisable, a smartphone-leading camera, great battery life - it's just an overall very usable, functional device. I think just for me, it's not the home-run I was hoping for. Buying both the S6 and G4, I've come to realise just how important software is on a phone, even if an OEM does manage to nail the hardware.

If you managed to read it all, I appreciate it. Just note that I'm not having a dig at the phone, it's easily one of the best on the market and wouldn't ever dissuade someone from getting it. It's a great phone, just not for me. Just my very subjective nit-picks.

I'll move on to the Nexus phone later and the year, and I actually can't wait to move to it.

EDIT: Just realised this is actually an extremely long post....so much for the 'mini' review/impressions. Sorry! :p

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I agree with you on a lot of the points you make here except maybe the rear buttons which I have had since the g2. Side buttons are more geared to right handed users. I much prefer the size and shape of the g3 too, as it was much more comfortable to hold. Don't like the sharp corners digging into my hand. With that said, for me the positives still outweigh the negatives. 5.5 display is the sweet spot for me and I can't see myself with a 5.1 s6 or a 5.7 note 4. As for the leather quality I agreed with you there until I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and used some good leather conditioner. I posted about this a while back but some of the carriers are coating the black leather with some clear crap that makes it plastic looking that has to come off before it really looks like leather. Give that a try before you send it back. If you don't change your mind enjoy the Nexus it's a great phone too. No losers here!

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
God I agree about the "low" volume being a jarring piece of dsijhfiu52, It's ridiculous how I can't have a low volume anymore. I know there are apps to download which grant more volume steps, so I will be looking into those.

Also I'll get hate for this but I agree with both OP and Andrew that the phone is difficult for me to navigate one-handed and I wish it were the size of the G3 (and the front were designed like the G3, too!). I think the G3 was overall a better design.

Anyway, hopefully the hero can find the phone that is a hero to them! :)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
As for the leather quality I agreed with you there until I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and used some good leather conditioner. I posted about this a while back but some of the carriers are coating the black leather with some clear crap that makes it plastic looking that has to come off before it really looks like leather. Give that a try before you send it back. If you don't change your mind enjoy the Nexus it's a great phone too. No losers here!

Interesting about the rubbing alcohol on the leather. Hadn't heard of that. Might give it a try, but I'd be afraid of damaging the leather too much.

God I agree about the "low" volume being a jarring piece of dsijhfiu52, It's ridiculous how I can't have a low volume anymore. I know there are apps to download which grant more volume steps, so I will be looking into those.

Also I'll get hate for this but I agree with both OP and Andrew that the phone is difficult for me to navigate one-handed and I wish it were the size of the G3 (and the front were designed like the G3, too!). I think the G3 was overall a better design.

Anyway, hopefully the hero can find the phone that is a hero to them! :)

Yeah it's just that fraction too large for me. And I think I have pretty large hands for a guy. Pinky to thumb spans just over 10" and I can palm a basketball, so it's not that I have small hands. But the corners and the bezel make it just that little bit difficult to use comfortably one handed.

I hope I'm not bagging the phone too much in my post as that's not the intention. Again, it's really a great phone and a LOT of people are going to enjoy using it.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the review, I've been following your posts ever since the GS6 forum roll-out. Sorry it didn't work you because I know you had issues with the GS6 also.

Few thoughts:
- I'm totally in love with the back buttons, very natural to me and the side buttons on the other phones alway got in the way IMO.

- After two weeks I'm just ok with the size...so far. I am not a big phone fanboy however and will not become one. I've been a one handed person for ever, I get jealous of the iPhone 5s users flying around the screen with one hand, but in the end the screen is just too small (and I'm not an iPhone fan anyway). Since phones are evolving bigger (mistake IMO) I figured I'd try one. I haven't had that moment where I just regret the bigger size but like I said, I'm not a fanboy. I do hold it differently than my other phones, the curved back helps with that and I can one hand most functions. With that said, my next phone will probably be smaller. I think it's a mistake for phone manufacturers not to option two sizes for their customer base.

- Battery...after disabling battery sucking Chrome, and a bunch of other Google apps and some useless Verizon garbage I get great battery life.

- Plastic feel...don't care I guess. I like light phones and the thin case I have on it makes it perfect. Removable battery and SD card I like a lot. I don't want to be beholden to Google, Dropbox, et al for storage, I'll run up additional expenses and don't need that. SD card and a home cloud device are perfect. Plus I switched SD cards from my old phone to the new and bingo...instant photos with no mess.

- LG software...I got around that stuff with Nova Prime. Neither Samsung nor LG have many features I care about.

- Sound...Joke. Rear firing speakers are so yesterday. Hate it...have to cup my hand just like my old Sammy.

- Silent Mode...What the heck LG, either on or vibrate? No quick toggle to silence this thing? Fail...Massive Fail.

I'll keep this phone for a few years...I'm not a big turnover person, I get it set up and run with it until it clunks on me or something comes along that I just have to purchase. Hopefully some manufacturer trends smaller or at least gives us an option, and also gets most of their software simplified. Just because they can goop up a phone with a million features, do-dads, gimmicks, and whizbangery doesn't mean they should.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I always enjoy reading the opinions and perspective of others. Whether I agree or not is not important.
But....there are always some "points" that baffle me a bit.
Why does the ability to use the phone one handed always come up?
I really don't think it's a feature that one can rate or review. Folks, you are in the "big phone realm"...G4, Note 4, Nexus 6, etc.
If one handed operation is a huge buying decision let me help you out, the larger phones will be more difficult to operate one handed....don't blame the phone.
Hope that helps.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I always enjoy reading the opinions and perspective of others. Whether I agree or not is not important.
I really don't think it's a feature that one can rate or review. Folks, you are in the "big phone realm"...G4, Note 4, Nexus 6, etc.
If one handed operation is a huge buying decision let me help you out, the larger phones will be more difficult to operate one handed....don't blame the phone.
Hope that helps.

First of all, the G4 is not the size of a Nexus 6 or Note series. Second, there aren't a whole lot of offerings of smaller phones other than some Androids and I'm not interested in the iPhone. Third, if you don't try it you won't know conclusively which size you prefer. Like I said, it's ok, nothing more, hasn't blown me away like the big phone fanboys rave about them. I know for a FACT that the Note series and N6 are too big...the G4 is maybe just a tip over the line for me but not enough to cash it in.

Last, phones have evolved to this size over time, the biggies only recently. So if a person is not 13, these bigger size offerings are newer to the arena. Most of us have come from smaller phones...sometimes we've had no choice but to roll with it. One handed is an issue and will be especially with the phones that are borderline.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, first let me start by saying Huh?
Second, I bought this large bike the other day... My feet don't touch the ground, stupid bike.

First of all, the G4 is not the size of a Nexus 6 or Note series. Second, there aren't a whole lot of offerings of smaller phones other than some Androids and I'm not interested in the iPhone. Third, if you don't try it you won't know conclusively which size you prefer. Like I said, it's ok, nothing more, hasn't blown me away like the big phone fanboys rave about them. I know for a FACT that the Note series and N6 are too big...the G4 is maybe just a tip over the line for me but not enough to cash it in.

Last, phones have evolved to this size over time, the biggies only recently. So if a person is not 13, these bigger size offerings are newer to the arena. Most of us have come from smaller phones...sometimes we've had no choice but to roll with it. One handed is an issue and will be especially with the phones that are borderline.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've done it 3 or 4 times since I've had it and no problem. Just take it off the phone first.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hero

You gave it a honest appraisal, and that's perfectly fine with me (and most others here)

It's funny how we tend to wish for perfection, but rarely achieve it in our phones.

FWIW... the leather black leather needs time to break in, that's all that is wrong with it. You can speed it up or just use it more 😄😄

Right now I am having a blast with my s6 Active and it's too bad you can't try one of these out. It to me is what the other g6's should be.

I got the stud silver theme on mine, added Nova Prime, and threw on the Glass icon pack, along with Textra and SwiftKey and I have never been happier with how it looks and how it performs.

I did about the exact same thing with my g4 when I had it and waffled between stock and that trying to decide when my g4 failed. I was really digging it too, but as my good wife always tells me... " Everything for a reason"

Good luck with what ever phone you get next and I sincerely hope that you find one that makes you happy.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Hope that helps.

Merely my opinion: I think 1-handed usability *does* bear mentioning. It's an aspect of the product, after all, just like a screen's brightness, speaker quality, and so on.

I think info on this can be useful for people considering buying, who are looking to learn from other people's experiences. And for the manufacturers who may hopefully pay attention to feedback about their product.

Is bigger going to be more difficult with one hand? Yes, this is to be expected, even if you haven't tried one yet. But where is the "tipping point", where you start to make it too awkward for a significant portion of the population? This is perhaps where user feedback is helpful.

I'll say that I liked the amount of real estate on the G4's screen. And, with a slim case, it wasn't as bulky in my pocket as I feared. But when I changed back to my Galaxy S3, I admit that I found the S3 easier to use when walking around, because of being able to hold it in one hand, and still reach more of the screen with my thumb, without being as concerned about dropping the phone. I certainly can't palm a basketball, but I'd say I have medium-size hands.

I'd like to see manufacturer's offer good-specs phones, in a ~5.1" screen size. Don't "dumb down" the phone itself for the smaller screen size version, just provide an option for those who don't want 5.5" or greater.

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I got the G4 this week. I'm coming from a Note 4, and I was fed up with Sammy's lag. I never used the S pen but I did love the size of the screen real estate.

So far, I'm very pleased with how fast this phone is, and the battery life is awesome.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I really do not understand why my LG G4 has very low quality sound while hearing others and while listening to radio despite having full sound. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE....

Posted via my LG G4

TourATL

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I agree with much of your opinions. Ultimately, given it's strengths and weaknesses, it's the best phone on the market, for me. And since I generally run my phones to failure, I'll probably have it for a while. Maybe when the m10 comes out I will feel differently. My ideal form factor is definitively smaller than this. Having the candyshell grip really helps though. I can hold it in ways that would be dangerous with less grippy cases, allowing me to access more of the screen one handed.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
One handed usability for most (there are exceptions, as we are finding out) can be determined long before the purchase of the phone.
I am sorry that it becomes a revelation for some long after the fact.
I apologize for my assumption....

Merely my opinion: I think 1-handed usability *does* bear mentioning. It's an aspect of the product, after all, just like a screen's brightness, speaker quality, and so on.

I think info on this can be useful for people considering buying, who are looking to learn from other people's experiences. And for the manufacturers who may hopefully pay attention to feedback about their product.

Is bigger going to be more difficult with one hand? Yes, this is to be expected, even if you haven't tried one yet. But where is the "tipping point", where you start to make it too awkward for a significant portion of the population? This is perhaps where user feedback is helpful.

I'll say that I liked the amount of real estate on the G4's screen. And, with a slim case, it wasn't as bulky in my pocket as I feared. But when I changed back to my Galaxy S3, I admit that I found the S3 easier to use when walking around, because of being able to hold it in one hand, and still reach more of the screen with my thumb, without being as concerned about dropping the phone. I certainly can't palm a basketball, but I'd say I have medium-size hands.

I'd like to see manufacturer's offer good-specs phones, in a ~5.1" screen size. Don't "dumb down" the phone itself for the smaller screen size version, just provide an option for those who don't want 5.5" or greater.

TourATL

May 17, 2011
Visit site
One handed usability for most (there are exceptions, as we are finding out) can be determined long before the purchase of the phone.
I am sorry that it becomes a revelation for some long after the fact.
I apologize for my assumption....

I think you are underestimating a bit. There are lots of things (size, form factor, button placement, ui, etc) that can feel awkward when first trying a phone in the store that you get used to after a while. Some things you think you might get used to, you never do. That's (partly) why we have the forums, to share our opinions and impressions of the phone based on our personal usage; and to share tips on how to deal with the specific peculiarities of each phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos