Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the screen.

Basically, my Nexus died while I was watching the Walking Dead, and I reserved to charge it when it was over.
    Well the episode ended, and I plugged my Nexus in, but rather than come up with the Google and N7 logo, I received a black screen with pixels running across it.

I've decided to send it in to ASUS, even if it will take about 2 weeks, but I just want to know what happened.
    Also, while I am under warranty, I am afraid they will try to charge me for it saying I "damaged the device" because of something ridiculous, like using a different charger (which I did).

Any answers and help would be greatly appreciated.l

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the

If the battery is really dead it has issues powering on until you charge it for an hour or so. This happened to me. I ran the battery down and it died on me when I tried to turn it on it was all funky. Graphics were wonky and it would turn off almost immediately even though it was plugged in. It was trying to use more power then it was receiving from the charger. I had to leave it plugged in, in then off position for an hour before I could turn it on.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

Ive got literally this EXACT problem. Freaked me out. It would sometimes load the google screen then boot animation then do the crazy pixel thing. Sometimes it would just do the crazy pixels. Sometimes the screen just lights up and then goes back off really fast. Hmmm. It got to the lockscreen once and showed 0% and immediately died. gonna leave it on the charger(and keep an eye on it) and see if it works. Ive had my N7 for a few months and this is new. Are you both on 4.2.1? im on A beta for Paranoid Android Rom idk if its 4.2 or 4.2.1 maybe its ANOTHER bug in 4.2+

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen gdead and pixels fly across the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonok View Post
    Ive got literally this EXACT problem. Freaked me out. It would sometimes load the google screen then boot animation then do the crazy pixel thing. Sometimes it would just do the crazy pixels. Sometimes the screen just lights up and then goes back off really fast. Hmmm. It got to the lockscreen once and showed 0% and immediately died. gonna leave it on the charger(and keep an eye on it) and see if it works. Ive had my N7 for a few months and this is new. Are you both on 4.2.1? im on A beta for Paranoid Android Rom idk if its 4.2 or 4.2.1 maybe its ANOTHER bug in 4.2+
    This occurred to me shortly after updating to 4.2. Just don't let your device die from loss of battery.

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem

This is horrible, it happened to me, I don't even know how much time before it starts acting up again. This is probably the worst defect I've encountered.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

This is happening to me as well. It's on a login reboot cycle
    Thanked by:
    ssloko likes this.

What I did to solve this was un/plug my charger multiple times, then I held all the side buttons at the same time. Eventually, it would boot successfully, plugged in. Something else that was weird was that I was receiving such limited charge from my charger, it said I was charging via USB. After rebooting, it said it was charging via AC. One question is: when did you get your device? I got mine on August fifth.

Default Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

Quote Originally Posted by anthonok View Post
    I also have this problem. Does anybody have a definite solution for it? I'm on stock jellybean 4.2.1 by the way.

Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the screen.-2012-12-06-01.34.46-1.jpgHad this problem starting tonight. The device will power up and then the display will go all weird and power down. Also, my Nexus 7 is making very odd internal noises. Were you all able to get a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by imthekingbk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-06 01.34.46-1.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	49801Had this problem starting tonight. The device will power up and then the display will go all weird and power down. Also, my Nexus 7 is making very odd internal noises. Were you all able to get a replacement?
    I, ironically, got it from MacMall, and cannot get a replacement.

This just happened to me right now then I saw this thread and I wanted to share what I did.

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
    - Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
    - Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
    - Unplug then re-plug the charger.
    - You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.
    Thanked by 17:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    gabbott, ailima, maylea31 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EdsonDJ View Post
    This just happened to me right now then I saw this thread and I wanted to share what I did.

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
    - You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.
    You're a legend for sharing that thanks very much.
    Thanked by:
    liljew likes this.

Do you mean power + volume up?

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    Do you mean power + volume up

Power + volume up + volume down I am doing this now to my n7 it sat in my trunk for 5 days and when I went to charge it. All hell broke loose with mine :/

Cheers,
    Charlie
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated

Signed up on the forums to come say this:

You don't need to press all three buttons (Power/vol-up/vol-down), just Power then vol-down to get in to the bootloader. Source: I just did it.

By the way, love the advice, I'd been frustrated and ready to eat the 200 dollars and never get another tablet. I had this very problem(not charging after battery died).

Thanks for the advice!
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

YOU SAVED MY NEXUS!!! This worked after everything else failed. I have the charging icon again and all seems well. I will make sure my nexus never discharges completely again. This is a bad issue that needs to be addressed by ASUS.

I left my Nexus 7 on overnight while listening to the radio and in the morning it was totally discharged. I plugged it in... and nothing was happening. I left it for a while and again, nothing. I even plugged it to my PC, same story. I did a quick Google search and found EdsonDJ's post. Just followed the instructions... and WOW, it's charging now! Well, I'd like to thank you so much-I'm leaving for Christmas and I'm taking my Nexus 7 with me, so otherwise I would not have been able to bring it along... Well, put it this way: EdsonDJ has saved my Christmas--thanks!!!

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Is this a software bug or a hardware? will Google address this problem?

AAAAHHH!!!! This just happened to me with my Nexus 7 32GB. Pixels flying across the screen and everything. Also there was a very worrisome buzzing/static sound coming from the tablet. Then it shut itself off and now I can't turn it on again. I can't even do that trick that EdsonDJ suggested because it won't power on at all even for an instant. Am I screwed? I bought it from BestBuy and their return policy is only 14 days. This damn thing isn't even 2 months old yet.

Default Re: Nexus 7 dead and pixels fly across the screen.

I can't thank you enough edsondj. It just happened to me, it would power on for a split second. I had to reboot like 10 times before I got it to go to the loader menu. and I almost threw it against a wall. I finally got there and its charging.

God that's a terrible over sight on their part.

sent from my crappy thunderbolt...

I have discovered the infamous black static screen issue. You must open up the back cover of the nexus and make sure the battery connection is not loose. My nexus was 3 days old when it acted up so I opened it up and found the battery connection was never snapped in place. I hope this helps out.
    Thanked by 2:

I have tried all the suggestions posted here and my N7 still will not respond, other then throwing it out after calling ASUS any other suggestions...Went it cycled off it was at 70% charge, could the battery be drained still.

Exclamation Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the scre

The reason why it won't charge is because......well there is many reasons...a different charger,to much usage, taking on and off and on the charger. Hope that helped

Tip* if you need to restart it you hold the power button for 20 seconds and it will turn on!!

This worked for me.
    Peel off back cover. Push battery as explained previously to the opposite side of buttons.
    Remove power and then replug. Replace cover.
    Finally got the battery charging icon to show. I assume this is a good thing as I was not getting any indication before.

I may need to take cover off again and put a piece of paper in to make sure battery stays in contact with sensors if this happens again.
    Thanked by:

I had this problem 2 days ago. It would not charge at all, and every now and then it would chime when it would boot to the lock screen and then just shut down again. I got the "Dead Android" logo by holding down the buttons and forcing it to restart.
    I did this a few times. Then one time I was holding it as it booted to the lock screen and I was able to pull down the wifi/battery menu and go to the battery properties. From there I was able to see the battery menu and then it shut down again, but this time it had the white battery icon on the screen indicating it was charging.
    I just left it like that and in the morning it was charged and working.
    I guess we aren't supposed to let it go completely dead or something. Not a good feature.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast