Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the screen.

Chandler Douglas

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Basically, my Nexus died while I was watching the Walking Dead, and I reserved to charge it when it was over.
Well the episode ended, and I plugged my Nexus in, but rather than come up with the Google and N7 logo, I received a black screen with pixels running across it.

I've decided to send it in to ASUS, even if it will take about 2 weeks, but I just want to know what happened.
Also, while I am under warranty, I am afraid they will try to charge me for it saying I "damaged the device" because of something ridiculous, like using a different charger (which I did).

Any answers and help would be greatly appreciated.l

stoneysilence

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen goes dead and pixels fly across the

If the battery is really dead it has issues powering on until you charge it for an hour or so. This happened to me. I ran the battery down and it died on me when I tried to turn it on it was all funky. Graphics were wonky and it would turn off almost immediately even though it was plugged in. It was trying to use more power then it was receiving from the charger. I had to leave it plugged in, in then off position for an hour before I could turn it on.

anthonok

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ive got literally this EXACT problem. Freaked me out. It would sometimes load the google screen then boot animation then do the crazy pixel thing. Sometimes it would just do the crazy pixels. Sometimes the screen just lights up and then goes back off really fast. Hmmm. It got to the lockscreen once and showed 0% and immediately died. gonna leave it on the charger(and keep an eye on it) and see if it works. Ive had my N7 for a few months and this is new. Are you both on 4.2.1? im on A beta for Paranoid Android Rom idk if its 4.2 or 4.2.1 maybe its ANOTHER bug in 4.2+

stoneysilence

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 problem; Won't charge, and when it does, screen gdead and pixels fly across the screen.

Ive got literally this EXACT problem. Freaked me out. It would sometimes load the google screen then boot animation then do the crazy pixel thing. Sometimes it would just do the crazy pixels. Sometimes the screen just lights up and then goes back off really fast. Hmmm. It got to the lockscreen once and showed 0% and immediately died. gonna leave it on the charger(and keep an eye on it) and see if it works. Ive had my N7 for a few months and this is new. Are you both on 4.2.1? im on A beta for Paranoid Android Rom idk if its 4.2 or 4.2.1 maybe its ANOTHER bug in 4.2+

This occurred to me shortly after updating to 4.2. Just don't let your device die from loss of battery.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 problem

This is horrible, it happened to me, I don't even know how much time before it starts acting up again. This is probably the worst defect I've encountered.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

What I did to solve this was un/plug my charger multiple times, then I held all the side buttons at the same time. Eventually, it would boot successfully, plugged in. Something else that was weird was that I was receiving such limited charge from my charger, it said I was charging via USB. After rebooting, it said it was charging via AC. One question is: when did you get your device? I got mine on August fifth.

Dinsdale Drummond

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I also have this problem. Does anybody have a definite solution for it? I'm on stock jellybean 4.2.1 by the way.

imthekingbk

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
2012-12-06 01.34.46-1.jpgHad this problem starting tonight. The device will power up and then the display will go all weird and power down. Also, my Nexus 7 is making very odd internal noises. Were you all able to get a replacement?

EdsonDJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This just happened to me right now then I saw this thread and I wanted to share what I did.

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
- Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
- Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
- Unplug then re-plug the charger.
- You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me right now then I saw this thread and I wanted to share what I did.

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
- You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

You're a legend for sharing that thanks very much.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Do you mean power + volume up?

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Do you mean power + volume up

Power + volume up + volume down I am doing this now to my n7 it sat in my trunk for 5 days and when I went to charge it. All hell broke loose with mine :/

Cheers,
Charlie

themarknessmonster

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Signed up on the forums to come say this:

You don't need to press all three buttons (Power/vol-up/vol-down), just Power then vol-down to get in to the bootloader. Source: I just did it.

By the way, love the advice, I'd been frustrated and ready to eat the 200 dollars and never get another tablet. I had this very problem(not charging after battery died).

Thanks for the advice!

maylea31

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

YOU SAVED MY NEXUS!!! This worked after everything else failed. I have the charging icon again and all seems well. I will make sure my nexus never discharges completely again. This is a bad issue that needs to be addressed by ASUS.

Jack K

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I left my Nexus 7 on overnight while listening to the radio and in the morning it was totally discharged. I plugged it in... and nothing was happening. I left it for a while and again, nothing. I even plugged it to my PC, same story. I did a quick Google search and found EdsonDJ's post. Just followed the instructions... and WOW, it's charging now! Well, I'd like to thank you so much-I'm leaving for Christmas and I'm taking my Nexus 7 with me, so otherwise I would not have been able to bring it along... Well, put it this way: EdsonDJ has saved my Christmas--thanks!!!

megagene

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AAAAHHH!!!! This just happened to me with my Nexus 7 32GB. Pixels flying across the screen and everything. Also there was a very worrisome buzzing/static sound coming from the tablet. Then it shut itself off and now I can't turn it on again. I can't even do that trick that EdsonDJ suggested because it won't power on at all even for an instant. Am I screwed? I bought it from BestBuy and their return policy is only 14 days. This damn thing isn't even 2 months old yet.

mattsterful

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 dead and pixels fly across the screen.

I can't thank you enough edsondj. It just happened to me, it would power on for a split second. I had to reboot like 10 times before I got it to go to the loader menu. and I almost threw it against a wall. I finally got there and its charging.

God that's a terrible over sight on their part.

sent from my crappy thunderbolt...