Any way to share files between users on Nexus 7?

Luieburger

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

First time android user here.

I got the 3G nexus 7 the other day. Rooted it, installed the 4.2 Jelly Bean MoDaCo ROM. Set up one user for my wife and one user for me. However, I have been unable to find any common file space between the two user accounts. If I log in on one account, windows sees only the files for that account and my apps can only access files for that account. I tried putting files in one of the root folders so that both users could view them in ES file explorer, but of course most Apps can't get root access.

My hard drive is 32GB, so I'm probably not going to run out of space. However, I'm a stickler when it comes to not maintaining duplicate sets of files for each user.

I'm looking for a way to have a shared folder where I can put files and both users can access those files through their applications. The root space doesn't seem to work for that very well.

Any suggestions?

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I don't know of sharing space like that but my wife and I usually put documents we need to share in Google drive. That way we can share it across all of our devices and computers, even the n7 that we have 2 user accounts for.

Sent from my Nexus 7

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
...I tried putting files in one of the root folders so that both users could view them in ES file explorer, but of course most Apps can't get root access.
Since you are rooted, did you try changing the folder permissions (of the new folder in root) to allow all users to access the folder?
I am not rooted, but I think you can use some root explorer app like the below to change the folder permissions. I read that you have to keep the N7 in landscape when using the below app to see the option.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer&token=TeQhCM6D

Luieburger

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thans Beck! I used ES File Explorer to change permissions. The permissions allows access to the files in Root. Sadly, I have to set the permissions manually one at a time. They don't propagate down to the sub-folders or files. At least it works I guess.

Any idea how to set permissions on all sub folders and files?

Itsaji

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any way to share files between users on Nexus 7 ?

I searched for the same but did not find anything significant. After spending some time I figured a way.
But the only problem is that you have to install the apps in both accounts

# No need to be rooted

1. Let say "AA" is the main account with all your purchase.
2. Add a new account say "BB"
3. Now log on to new account "BB"
4. Go to -> Google Play
5. On the Top Right corner click on the -> Pull Down Menu (Three Dots)
6. Select -> Accounts
7. Select -> Add Account then -> Ok
8. Select -> Existing
9. Enter your "AA" (main account with all purchases) e-mail and password
10. Now go to your apps in play store
11. Under -> "All" you will be able to see all your purchased apps.

The same thing can be done with the main account. (Add "BB" to "AA")

Big Mack

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
@Itsaji Duplicating the account in play store is great for sharing apps or purchases in the Play store but does not help with sharing documents. I too am looking for a non-cloud solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87