Problem copying .mp4 movies from PC to N7

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Evenin' all. Spent a happy day trying bluetooth and USB transfers (pics, music, film) 'twixt laptop and N7 and all seems fine, except for a video issue.

The family videos I've shot on my Galaxy S+ and saved as .avi's and .wmv's have copied over and play fine.

For personal holiday use I ripped some of our commercial DVD's via DVDFab and saved them as .mp4's. They play great on our PC.

They copy over OK but on attempting playback, I get "Can't play this video".

I take it then the N7 does not support .mp4 video and wondered what format the community uses for *backing up* DVD's to play on the device?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Good morning (west coast USA, not England!)

Playback is dependent upon the media player you are using and the codecs it supports. I'd suggest installing MX Player (perhaps the most popular) or BSPlayer. I use both, and both are free and play mp4. But there are many popular alternatives, so just check out the Play Store and try a couple until you find what you like. Good luck and cheers!

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Evenin' all. Spent a happy day trying bluetooth and USB transfers (pics, music, film) 'twixt laptop and N7 and all seems fine, except for a video issue.

The family videos I've shot on my Galaxy S+ and saved as .avi's and .wmv's have copied over and play fine.

For personal holiday use I ripped some of our commercial DVD's via DVDFab and saved them as .mp4's. They play great on our PC.

They copy over OK but on attempting playback, I get "Can't play this video".

I take it then the N7 does not support .mp4 video and wondered what format the community uses for *backing up* DVD's to play on the device?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.

For future reference, since you are already using DVDFab, I would also install Handbrake and use that to do the conversion to mp4. I have not had any trouble with my N7 Movies app playing any of the mp4s that I have converted using this process.

I also recommend trying either Dice Player or MoboPlayer as other possible backups in case you do run into problems. Dice will play just about anything you throw at it.

Also, there is a beta of VLC for android out there in the wild somewhere (availble in Europe but not US)

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that's interesting repli. I use VLC as my default media player on my PC so I'd definitely go for it on my N7. I've found it on the Play Store but the developer describes it as:

"This is a BETA version of the port of VLC media player to the Android? platform. It is intended for power users and hackers. This version is not perfectly stable and is slower than the final version."

Not being a tinkerer (much), I'll keep an eye on it for the final release. Thanks for the heads up.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried VLC on my N7 and it's definitely not ready for prime time. It is truly in beta form. It works a little bit, but has a long way to go. Sticking with MX Player or BSPlayer or Dice or Mobo or whatever is certainly a good idea for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty