Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minkey1
  • 1 Post By MJKearney
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problem copying .mp4 movies from PC to N7

Evenin' all. Spent a happy day trying bluetooth and USB transfers (pics, music, film) 'twixt laptop and N7 and all seems fine, except for a video issue.

The family videos I've shot on my Galaxy S+ and saved as .avi's and .wmv's have copied over and play fine.

For personal holiday use I ripped some of our commercial DVD's via DVDFab and saved them as .mp4's. They play great on our PC.

They copy over OK but on attempting playback, I get "Can't play this video".

I take it then the N7 does not support .mp4 video and wondered what format the community uses for *backing up* DVD's to play on the device?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.
    Last edited by Minkey1; 12-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Default Re: Problem copying .mp4 movies from PC to N7

Good morning (west coast USA, not England!)

Playback is dependent upon the media player you are using and the codecs it supports. I'd suggest installing MX Player (perhaps the most popular) or BSPlayer. I use both, and both are free and play mp4. But there are many popular alternatives, so just check out the Play Store and try a couple until you find what you like. Good luck and cheers!
    Last edited by MJKearney; 12-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Thanked by:

MP4 will play fine with the proper vid player app (there are hordes of em) installed and selected to show those particular files.
    Some good examples:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bGF5ZXIuYWQiXQ..
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...JvaWQuZnJlZSJd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cGxheWVyLmEiXQ..

there are lots more...find one that works for you
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wow, what a great community. MX Player has it nailed. Thanks guys
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast
    MJKearney likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minkey1 View Post
    Evenin' all. Spent a happy day trying bluetooth and USB transfers (pics, music, film) 'twixt laptop and N7 and all seems fine, except for a video issue.

The family videos I've shot on my Galaxy S+ and saved as .avi's and .wmv's have copied over and play fine.

For personal holiday use I ripped some of our commercial DVD's via DVDFab and saved them as .mp4's. They play great on our PC.

They copy over OK but on attempting playback, I get "Can't play this video".

I take it then the N7 does not support .mp4 video and wondered what format the community uses for *backing up* DVD's to play on the device?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.
    For future reference, since you are already using DVDFab, I would also install Handbrake and use that to do the conversion to mp4. I have not had any trouble with my N7 Movies app playing any of the mp4s that I have converted using this process.

I also recommend trying either Dice Player or MoboPlayer as other possible backups in case you do run into problems. Dice will play just about anything you throw at it.

Also, there is a beta of VLC for android out there in the wild somewhere (availble in Europe but not US)
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Oh, that's interesting repli. I use VLC as my default media player on my PC so I'd definitely go for it on my N7. I've found it on the Play Store but the developer describes it as:

"This is a BETA version of the port of VLC media player to the Android platform. It is intended for power users and hackers. This version is not perfectly stable and is slower than the final version."

Not being a tinkerer (much), I'll keep an eye on it for the final release. Thanks for the heads up.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

I tried VLC on my N7 and it's definitely not ready for prime time. It is truly in beta form. It works a little bit, but has a long way to go. Sticking with MX Player or BSPlayer or Dice or Mobo or whatever is certainly a good idea for now.
    Thanked by:
    Minkey1 likes this.