Why Is The Nexus 7 Not a Certified Miracast Device?

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps because it doesn't do Miracast. Maybe it will work a future update, but Google hasn't promised to add it to the Nexus 7 so don't count on it.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't make sense. It's got all the capability for it.. Even has "WiFi Direct" now. And it's just lacking some software on Google's part? Weird.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I read some *speculation* somewhere that the hardware wouldn't support it. Something about needing an additional antenna to support the wifi bandwidth needed. I have no idea if this is accurate.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I read some *speculation* somewhere that the hardware wouldn't support it. Something about needing an additional antenna to support the wifi bandwidth needed. I have no idea if this is accurate.

Hmm, I wish we could get more clarification on this. Someone has got to know.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If the hardware really can support Miracast, then I would expect the missing software to be ported from the Nexus 4, we shall have to wait and see on that front. But Google still wouldn't get it certified until they are ready to officially support it.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

This would be my guess. They chose to put a useless NFC antenna in it instead of dual wifi antennas. If the N7 was going to be able to use Miracast they would have advertized it from day one.

UiUiUi7

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have returned my Nexus7. WiFi Direct will not stream from tablet to TV. It will only play your local content. But mine did not work with the TV. My Sony latest gen did not handshake with the Nexus. Moreover, there is no micri HDMI to play content on TV. Very dissapointing as other earlier tablets have micro HDMI.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
PSA: Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 do not support Miracast wireless display

For those that were unsure on where the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 stood on Android 4.2′s latest feature ? Miracast wireless display support ? it?s looking like this could end up being Nexus 4-only for now. There?s been an ongoing discussion over on Google?s mobile support forum and after much debate, a Googler took the time to weigh in on the issue confirming:

Just wanted to confirm that Nexus 4 is currently our only Nexus device that works with Miracast wireless display on Android 4.2. There was a reference to wireless display on our Help site for Nexus 10, but we?ve since removed that reference. Our apologies for any confusion that may have caused.

So, whether you have the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, or Nexus 10 ? just because they?re running 4.2 (which technically supports Miracast), there?s still more to the store. Whether or not Miracast could come to the Nexus 10 down the road, remains to be seen.

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/19/psa-nexus-7-and-nexus-10-do-not-support-miracast-wireless-display/

UiUiUi7

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, need to clarify: you CAN stream files from Nexus 7 to DLNA devices (use SKIFTA app), but you cannot mirror Nexus 7 on another device such as a TV. You cannot stream from WiFi in a browser or app like XBMC on your Nexus 7 and display the content on TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa