Nexus 7 won't turn on no matter what I do

PlaneJane

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine was the partially loose battery connection. Refitted the connection and folded up a small bit of paper to fill the gap. They could have made a better fit for the battery tray to battery size. Next generation I guess.

Joan Walsh

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
That is a good fix for mine. If you are going to attempt this, use your nail to get the back off. There are a few components close to the edge so a blade would not be a good idea. On the picture above, follow the wires you see under the black sticky tape. You need to peel this back and you will see 2 connectors. Push them back in place and then pull the sticky tape back hard over them to force the connection. I did not add anything else to try to keep it there. It is not a good design if you are relying on a bit of tape to keep a connection.

AndroNess23

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
same happened to mine try to flex the tablet or twist lightly literally mean soft i did n it worked thas if u play games alot it may work just a note

jennab123

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
So I was having the same problem u were. I called Walmart where I bought it but the 15 day warranty was up. I called Google, but since i bought it from walmart they wouldnt hold up their end of the year warranty bargain. So they told me to call Asus. But Asus only has a phone number for PCs. Do you see a pattern here? I was very frustrated and was looking at forums for what to do when I saw someone saying that they plugged it into a GFI plug (one with a reset button) instead of a regular plug. So I did and it worked like a charm! Hope this helps! (p. s. the forum also said that it wouldnt charge again after they charged it in a GFI plug the first time, but i havent gotten to that part yet)

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
So I was having the same problem u were. I called Walmart where I bought it but the 15 day warranty was up. I called Google, but since i bought it from walmart they wouldnt hold up their end of the year warranty bargain. So they told me to call Asus. But Asus only has a phone number for PCs. Do you see a pattern here? I was very frustrated and was looking at forums for what to do when I saw someone saying that they plugged it into a GFI plug (one with a reset button) instead of a regular plug. So I did and it worked like a charm! Hope this helps! (p. s. the forum also said that it wouldnt charge again after they charged it in a GFI plug the first time, but i havent gotten to that part yet)

The GFI plug has no bearing on it charging. A GFI plug is a safety feature so people dont get electrocuted like if a toaster is plugged in and somebody throws it into the bathtub with you in it (among other things). It reads ground fault and it stands for ground fault interupter. If there were a short in the device, it would trip and you would have to reset that button.

I really think this is just a coincidence that your N7 is charging using that plug.

Jared Quackenbush

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Brilliant idea. I had the same issue, so before going to the store i decided to check the battery connection. It looked a little lose. So i disconnected it then reconnected it... good as new thanks guys!

Adam Thorpe

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I used this method below and it worked! I had all the same issues-fuzzy screen, wont turn on, ect..

Worth a try..:cool:

With the introduction of Android 4.2 came a number of little obnoxious bugs that we are slowly figuring out fixes for. One of those that has plagued many (according to a variety of forum posts), is a charging issue with the Nexus 7. As users leave their tablet idle for an extended period of time or use it for hours until the battery runs completely dry, the device is having a hell of a time charging back up again or even turning on.

In fact, if you let your Nexus 7 die completely, you may run into a screen flashing or pixel party experience once plugged into a charger that won?t bring you joy. The device, at least mine and in others? cases, won?t turn on with any combination of button pressing. Well, there is one combo along with a charger that worked for me, getting my N7 back on the charging path of pleasure.

To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Choose that option with the Power button.
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

Hope that helps those of you with dead Nexus 7s. For the rest of you, I suggest not letting your N7 completely run out of juice. Should you see it drop to 10% or under, find yourself a charger.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. So yesterday when my Nexus 7 was at about 15%, the screen kind of went haywire and then the whole thing shut off. I plugged it in to the charger. It turned on and said charging, and after about 4 seconds it told me to connect my charger and it shut off again. I tried multiple chargers in multiple outlets. I let it charge for about 7 hours, and now it won't turn on at all. I tried the method where you hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Didn't work. :( I also tried a hard reset where I hold the power button down along with the volume buttons... still nothing. My n7 was working perfectly since I got it a couple months back. I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have experienced a similar problem on my Nexus 7. I tried several different things to get mine working but couldn't get it to work. For whatever reason, the device when I plug it in only cycles on for a few seconds and then shuts off. I went from approximately 9% battery to 0%.

Unfortunately, Google's return policy is flat ridiculous. In order to exchange the item, Google will need to put an authorization hold on my credit card for $199.99 until they receive the defective device back. Replacement devices are sent out via the most inexpensive method available. So, I'm looking at minimum a week before I receive the replacement device, then another week before the defective device is returned and then however many days it takes for the $199.99 authorization to fall off of my account. I'm not sure how other people budget money, but I try to keep a certain amount of money available to myself in case of emergencies. That hold amount exceeds my comfort level, especially at this time of year (just coming out of the holidays).

Even the electronic devices I have had to get replaced via Amazon haven't had such ridiculous and unreasonable return policies. With iPads, you can go into an Apple Store and receive replacements relatively hassle free. I am basically being asked to make an interest free loan to Google (in my opinion) in order to get a replacement device on a warrantied item. Google needs to get its act together for their retail business. Right now, I'm considering whether or not I want to purchase a replacement Nexus device, or simply go back to another tablet device whose company has a more customer friendly system in place.

I know that the Nexus line of devices are supposed to be more reasonably priced for what you get. But, if the devices don't even last 6 months under normal use, that is not a better buy.

The unfortunate part is I have really grown attached to my N7. It is a great device, well I thought it was a great device. A great device will work properly for more than 6 months in my opinion.

Sorry, I'm really frustrated and angry at Google for their lack of quality support for their branded devices.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I used this method below and it worked! I had all the same issues-fuzzy screen, wont turn on, ect..

Worth a try..:cool:

With the introduction of Android 4.2 came a number of little obnoxious bugs that we are slowly figuring out fixes for. One of those that has plagued many (according to a variety of forum posts), is a charging issue with the Nexus 7. As users leave their tablet idle for an extended period of time or use it for hours until the battery runs completely dry, the device is having a hell of a time charging back up again or even turning on.

In fact, if you let your Nexus 7 die completely, you may run into a screen flashing or pixel party experience once plugged into a charger that won?t bring you joy. The device, at least mine and in others? cases, won?t turn on with any combination of button pressing. Well, there is one combo along with a charger that worked for me, getting my N7 back on the charging path of pleasure.

To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Choose that option with the Power button.
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

Hope that helps those of you with dead Nexus 7s. For the rest of you, I suggest not letting your N7 completely run out of juice. Should you see it drop to 10% or under, find yourself a charger.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, did nothing to get mine working. I can't get it to go into bootloader mode. I understand where you are coming from on the 10% charge thing. But, in the real world, kind of ridiculous. A device shouldn't require such a kid glove treatment.

tqmjp

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 7 tablet is the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I bought one and my brother bought one and both have the same issues. While running will turn itself off and won't let you log back on. Made by Asus and they don't have any service centers here in the states so have to send over seas. What kind of crap company does that and is allowed to sell stuff here? They don't even have a number to call from in the states. It has a quad core processor but is slower than my Samsung note 2. So much for Asus reputation. Stay away if you can and avoid yourself the headache. If you have one, get rid of it or use it as a decorative paper weight.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
So far glad to say have had no issues with it randomly turning off and not turning on

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 7 tablet is the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. I bought one and my brother bought one and both have the same issues. While running will turn itself off and won't let you log back on. Made by Asus and they don't have any service centers here in the states so have to send over seas. What kind of crap company does that and is allowed to sell stuff here? They don't even have a number to call from in the states. It has a quad core processor but is slower than my Samsung note 2. So much for Asus reputation. Stay away if you can and avoid yourself the headache. If you have one, get rid of it or use it as a decorative paper weight.
I'm not sure how much of this I blame on Asus versus Google.

Don't companies like Asus make these types of things to the specifications and requirements of the company ie. Google that has contracted with them to produce the item?

I hope that the Samsung Nexus 10 holds up better than it seems like the Asus manufactured devices are holding up.

Ultimately, in my opinion, Google needs to get its act together with it's retail side. They do not provide good customer service. All any of us have to do is look at some of the problems people have experienced with the ordering of the Nexus 4.

sungod208

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
i
have the same problem but a little different
when i turn mine on it works but it only works for about five seconds
also it says i need to connect the charger to it but the charger is in
finnally it does say the powering symbol when it is not entirley on
HELP!
Now it is saying that it is not charging at all
:(

Last edited:

noahtdunn

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey Thanks! I've read this whole forum and tried everything up until this post. (even removing the cover and checking connection). The steps as followed exactly have now gotten me to the point of the device charging and now I will just wait cautiously to attempt turning it back on but I think this is going to work!! :D

Lquinsey

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Won't be getting the mini!

:)Thank you so much for your information. I am on my second Nexus 7. Returned the first one in July the day after receiving it as it would not charge. My latest one started doing all the strange things described in this thread today. Was considering boxing this one up and returning yet another one and then purchasing (gasp) the "mini". Then I read AdamThorpe's solution (you are my hero) and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU!!!!!

danielnbo

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man!

That solved my problem. :)
It appears that when the battery fall to 0% the tablet dont let it charge anymore. Then doing this procedure it starts to charge again.

Kruunch

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
just an fyi for anyone who's having these kinds of issues, wiredfellow in this thread suggested taking a look under the back cover at the battery connection.
I did this on mine and found that the battery compartment is just a touch bigger than the battery and any sudden jolt to one side could potentially pull the connector out slightly (you can see the extra space in the picture I took below, highlighted red). I put some sugru in the extra space to prevent the battery from moving about and haven't had any issues thus far. (the back cover comes right off just using your nails all the way around, or a spudger of course)

xterror, I bet that's what happened to yours, everyone else, go check!

Had this problem as well.

Took off the cover and slid the battery cables back in as suggested (above). Worked fine afterwards.

While there is an adhesive used to plant the battery in the slightly oversized compartment, it apparently is still prone to shifting.

NOTE: This shifting can occur just by storing the Nexus 7 on it's side (like in a book bag).

Kels1984

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Great fix with the battery. I would have never thought to take off the battery cover to find a battery that was dislodged. I think its amazing that Google hasnt recalled this product for the amount of money you spend on this device. Live and learn.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Great fix with the battery. I would have never thought to take off the battery cover to find a battery that was dislodged. I think its amazing that Google hasnt recalled this product for the amount of money you spend on this device. Live and learn.
I doubt that they will recall. Google simply isn't interested in providing quality customer service, or backing up the devices they are marketing. At least in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87