Home Button Question

thumbcuffs

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I have tried out two different Nexus 7, the 32 GB and the 16 GB. For me right now, the 16 GB makes more financial sense because I can get a significantly less expsensive accident coverage.

Okay, but here is my question.

One on, touching the HOME button brought up the Apps/Widgets page.

One another, it brings up "My Library".

Is there a way to set what the Home Button actually does to make this better?

If not, I will probably not keep the device. I need it to work the way I want it to work. My Library? Really? It's not a Kindle.

:)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you're asking about the home button, the middle button at the very bottom of the screen, shaped like a house? Perhaps you're talking about the All Apps button, which is the round icon with 6 dots inside, that sits above the home button in the favorites tray.

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
hmm.. a little confused.

The little house button only ever brings you do the home screen. Which if you just bought will show you the your library selections. In my case it was Popular Science magazine the nexus start guide with Live google below that. And below those the two suggestion widgets. At least I think it was those. I remember getting rid of those almost immediately. Below that is a row of 6 icons. The middle one with the 6 dots is what takes you to the apps/widgets screen. Not the home button. The home button brings up the screen I mentioned.

There are however actually 5 home screens. Swiping left or right will take you to the others. If you pinch and hold on the my library widget near either the left edge right edge you can drag it either way and it will be moved to the adjoining home screen. I got rid of some of them and and resized some of the others then moved them to the far right home screen. I hard ever even look there any more

That leaves the middle home screen empty. That is the one that the tablet opens to after the lock screen and the one you get when you push the home button.

From there you can push the button with the six dots to take you do the app/widget page. Go through that and decide which apps and widgets you want to put on your home screen. just decide on one then press and hold the icon. A copy will be lifted from that screen and the tablet will switch to the home screen where you can drop it. From there put it on the screen where ever you like. Repeat with other apps you want to put on the home screen.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
While the previous post is good, he didn't mention that when you press the home button it will actually take you to whichever of the five home screens you were last viewing, but if you press it while on a home screen it will take you to the middle one. This might account for the difference you noticed.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
The home button just sends you back to the home screen, the circle that brings up the apps/widgets cannot be customized but the icons either side can be swapped just hold down on the icon when swipe to the top of the screen to remove it. But the home button can only take you home.

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
He did mention the library widget and that the device was new. So, I made the assumption he was on the middle screen and hadn't yet swiped left or right to see one of the other home screens. At any rate. You are correct. Tapping the home button once will get you to the previous home screen you were viewing. Tapping it twice will take you to the middle home screen.

Thanks for the additional info. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87