2 circles on my nexus 7 screen

Justin cd89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my nexus 7 two weeks ago. Everything was working fine but then I noticed two circles on the screen. This did not affect the screen at all when it was turned on so I actually thought they were just smudge marks from something. But I tried to turn on my nexus this evening and it won't come on and now I realize the two circles are not just smudge marks. It was working perfectly the last time I turned it off.

I tried holding the 'on' button for a couple mins and then simultaneously with the volume control but it won't come on. I am now really worried the store I bought it from are going to say that the two perfect circles on the screen are from impact damage and that makes the warranty void.

Does anyone know of similar cases or can you tell me anything that will help my case.

For example, in the production process are the screens fitted on with circular suction pads or something that could explain the two circles?

Any suggestions!?

recharge23

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
that's really interesting that you mention this because i looked in to this same issue right after i bought my n7. i started to notice circles on the screen after blowing hot air on it to clean away smudges. at first, it really bothered me but after putting on a screen protector, i no longer see it. i guess that doesn't really help solve the problem but i just wanted to let you know that i have the same issue as well.

irratebass1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have one big circle in the middle of my N7, I have mine in a Roocase and I wonder if the magnets for the sleep/awake function is causing this? Not sure though...the device is running with no issues, but that big circle does concern me

Here are the pics:

7AB4DB92-21B5-449B-BA04-8E773DB66E3F-4754-00000476BA8A44C8.jpg

DBA40B11-6E04-4ED9-B69D-DE0B10C856A4-4754-000004770B5BFC5E.jpg

Then after seeing how dirty my screen was I decided to clean it...and lo and behold the circle is gone......it pays to clean sometimes I guess lol

83256EDF-6C32-4F47-BB99-15C7669235F3-4777-00000478C5047DA1.jpg

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have one big circle in the middle of my N7, I have mine in a Roocase and I wonder if the magnets for the sleep/awake function is causing this? Not sure though...the device is running with no issues, but that big circle does concern me

Here are the pics:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...B-BA04-8E773DB66E3F-4754-00000476BA8A44C8.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...9-B69D-DE0B10C856A4-4754-000004770B5BFC5E.jpg

Then after seeing how dirty my screen was I decided to clean it...and lo and behold the circle is gone......it pays to clean sometimes I guess lol

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...7-BB99-15C7669235F3-4777-00000478C5047DA1.jpg
That definitely looks like something from a suction type screen holder plus the fact it was easily removed. Maybe the others are on the reverse side of the screen?

Justin cd89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

My screen problem is the same as irratebass1 (photos attached).

I don't have any special screen wipes but just using a cloth doesn't take it off.

In any event my tablet won't come on but I will try again with the cleaning!

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 83

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has something to do with the anti scratch coating?? somewhere the process it was damaged & slid past QC? just thinking out loud really

Justin cd89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm embarassed now, but with enough force it does actually come off with a cloth! Thanks iratebass1...

Ok so now I just have a plain broken tablet. I have left it charging for a few hours but it still won't come.

I am sure I won't have any trouble getting it replaced seen as I only got it two weeks ago.

Thanks again for all the replies.

irratebass1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm embarassed now, but with enough force it does actually come off with a cloth! Thanks iratebass1...

Ok so now I just have a plain broken tablet. I have left it charging for a few hours but it still won't come.

I am sure I won't have any trouble getting it replaced seen as I only got it two weeks ago.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Yeah, I was embarrassed too, good luck......hope you get it exchanged with no issues.

Steve Spyvee

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys, disappointed I have one too - any tips for cleaning I've tried with force but no joy, will be a bind to take back to PCW but what alternative do I have? This is after I sprayed cleaning fluid on? :-[

Attachments

• 20121230_134410.jpg
    20121230_134410.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 301

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys, disappointed I have one too - any tips for cleaning I've tried with force but no joy, will be a bind to take back to PCW but what alternative do I have? This is after I sprayed cleaning fluid on? :-[

What the heck did you do? Spraying anything on the screen is foolish but that looks like whatever you used ate the finish right off. I doubt they will take it back since you damaged it.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It appears that the screen is still wet, not damaged just to show the circle with some detail.

Also, using a cleaning solution is not a negative on devices, just have to be careful about possible seepage into the device. Besides, most cleaning solutions are alcohol based anyway, so they will usually dry without issue. The cloth is also key as it can scratch a surface if the wrong type its used.

These circles look like they are from some sort of suction device used in the production line. The fact that they look like they are embedded in the glass may be due to some sort of finish applied to the glass and not letting it cure/dry completely before completing assembly.

The removal through cleaning may be removing the finish as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Steve Spyvee

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jevangil...yes I used a LCD cleaning fluid for the purposes of showing off the circles, my breath would have done the trick nicely, the screen is pristine and it's impossible to see the circle without breathing or cleaning the screen, it would be easy to say I can't be bothered and not return it, hopefully this forum and others will prove I've not caused the damage...like you I believe it's embedded in the glass as it just wont come off! To put WordPainter's mind at ease here two more pics I've just taken, sadly not daylight conditions....as you can see screen is perfect...I bet there's loads of N7 users out there who don't even know! Other than any advice it'll have to go back :-[

Attachments

• 20121230_233437.jpg
    20121230_233437.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 20121230_233501.jpg
    20121230_233501.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 283

QuackingPlums

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine has this - looks exactly the same as the circles that appear on my car when I apply certain types of polish. With my car it's part of the production line process as mentioned before - they use suction cups to pick up the glass and place it on the device to prevent fingerprints and/or dust. Interesting that you were able to clean yours off though - several years of Swissol hasn't shifted the ones on my car! :D

Justin cd89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just want to say that although the two circles on my screen came off, they reappeared before I got round to returning it.

However I just cleaned it again and didn't mention the circles when I returned my n7 to PC world (my n7 wouldn't turn on).

So seen as they reappeared in just a day or so it seems that this is actually some kind of manufacturing problem.

Interested to know if iratebass has had the problem reappear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mdmesser001

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Looking at these photos, I think I have a likely cause: During the manufacturing process, I'll bet the screens are moved from one step of assembly to another via a suction cup. Before the device is shipped, it is supposed to be given a final cleaning. Someone dropped the ball at that stage. My 16GB arrived in Sept. 2012 looking very clean & shiny, with no circles. But since they DO wipe off (from what I've read), I'll bet they're left over from factory assembly.

irratebass1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, mine has reappeared....but again with cleaning it came right off.....I wonder if it is from my case like someone mentioned a suction type thing.....doesn't seem to have any impact on the N7 or it's capabilities.

Wiktor Wiktor

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, the same here. I have one circle coming up while wiping the screen with a glasses cleaning wipe.
It doesn't affect the screen but annoys me quite a bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo