GPS driving apps

barry_g

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd appreciate recommendations for a GPS app that is fully functional off-line with good USA road map, gives audible turn-by-turn directions, and can import/manage gpx routes.

Thanks for any help!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't now of any apps that can import/manage gpx routes, but CoPilot is probably your best bang-for-the-buck--full USA map (you can dl by state to save space), 1 year of live traffic, turn-by-turn navigation, 3d maps, offline POIs, for $10. The offline POI's are what sold me on this app--if I'm exploring a city it's always good to know what's around you, or where the nearest grocery shop is.

I've heard that if you convert the GPX files to TRP, CoPilot can read them. I'm not 100% sure though, as I can't even find on the app where to dl it. You could try contacting CoPilot support on that one.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Sygic. It doesn't import routes, but it meets the rest of your requirements.

I have been using it for over a year now and it works great.

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I just tried Mapfactor, Copilot, Garmin (stand alone unit) & Google nav for an address in a small town that has been there for years. All except the Mapfactor found the address. If they can't find the address - big issue. Copilot & Garmin gave address suggestions while typing the address. Unfortunately Copilot stopped working & had to reboot the N7.

I expect in about a year they will shake out & I can replace my Garmin. Hope so.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
How do these apps work off line and not connected to GPS?? Doesn't seem like it would work.

As the above person mentioned, offline refers to a net connection, not a GPS connection.

Let's look at Google Maps/Navigation as an example.

Maps are not stored on your device my default. You have to cache them. They are typically streamed from the internet as they are needed.

To start navigation, you need a net connection because the computation of how to get from point A to point B is done in the cloud. Even if you have maps cached, you can't use navigation without the net.

So if we look at Copilot or Sygic, they are very different. Those maps are NOT streamed and they are stored on your device locally. Navigation is computed in the application, not on the cloud, so you don't need a net connection. With those two apps, you can get from point A to point B 100% offline. That is not the case with Google Maps.

barry_g

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Sygic. It doesn't import routes, but it meets the rest of your requirements. I have been using it for over a year now and it works great.
Yes, it does look pretty good. I'm going to do the 7-day free trial.

Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
make sure you download the additional voices. The default ones don't pronounce the street names but there are additional voice packs that use TTS. It is a nice improvement. I'm not sure if you can get it in the trial version or not, but if you pay for the full version, they don't cost anything else.

kieranmullen

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Copilot purchased. Does not announce street names. Does not say turn in X feet. It says just a little bit. Very annoying..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Copilot purchased. Does not announce street names. Does not say turn in X feet. It says just a little bit. Very annoying..

You can choose to have fun silly voices that only have a limited number of phrases "now, turn right; now, turn left; make a u-turn", etc. but for functionality you need to go into the settings and alter the voice. Ones with TTS capabilities will have an asterisk next to them. I installed the British Google stock voice because the American one is ear-gratingly shrill and unnatural.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez