Screenshots - simple, but not so simple

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I don't know if this will help anyone, but it helps me vent, so here goes. I am a recent convert to Niagara Launcher (not totally committed, but getting there). One of the first things I tried doing after getting it set up was to screenshot the homepage to share with others. The screenshot methods on my phone are "three finger" (touch the screen simultaneously with 3 fingers) and tapping Screenshot from the Recent Apps button. I soon discovered that neither method works here. The 3 finger method activates a built-in Niagara menu, and the Recent Apps method doesn't work for the same reason it doesn't work with any other launcher... homescreen never shows as a recent app. I tried voice activation, but Google Assistant gets in the way.

So, I started researching 3rd party apps for the function. Now, a couple of pre-req's:
  • It must not run all the time and be easily switched on/off. Reason being that it seems to come down to activation by floating button or shaking the phone, neither of which I want active all the time. I don't want the button always visible, and the shake method is unacceptable since I ride a motorcycle.
  • It must be free - taking a homescreen screenshot is the only reason it would be used (and not often)
I tried three apps:
  1. Easy Screenshot - Looked good initially, but poorly rated for a reason. Takes forever to load and doesn't reliably take a picture using either method.
  2. Screenshot Easy - Well rated and works fine, but no "Off" function.
  3. Screenshot Touch - Works fine, has on/off capability, and reliably captures screen images using the floating button, BUT it included the floating button in the screenshot!
I was about ready to give up when I thought to try the shake method in Screenshot Touch. It has some setup quirks, but EUREKA, it works! First, there are three settings for shake sensitivity - Light, Medium, and Hard. It defaults to Medium, so I started there. I found that it needed so much intensity that my phone (Razr+ flip) snapped shut a couple times. I tried Light and it turned out to be so sensitive that I'd typically end up taking 2 or 3 shots at a time. This was mitigated by setting a 0.5 second time delay before capture. I think "Hard" would require a paint store mixer to activate! Unsure if I'll ever use the features, but the app also has the ability to take website and scrolling screenshots as well as screen recording (audio & video).

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I've heard good things about Niagra Launcher but if I go to a 3rd party launcher I love Nova a no fuss fast and light launcher.
Agreed! I'm a convert from Nova Prime v8 beta, which works great. I have both installed, but I'm quickly gravitating towards Niagara. It completely changes how you use your phone.

Reactions: mustang7757