FoxFi vs GS3 as hotspot

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Today I received my brand new Nexus 7 32GB. I am on my 3rd week with my Galaxy S III. I have a Verizon 4GB data plan shared between wife 3g phone and my SG3. With the new data plans they allow free hotspot from your phone.

I have read about using FoxFi throughout the Nexus 7 Forums here and elsewhere. What is the difference between that and using my phone as a hot spot?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I use foxfi all the time on my Razr Maxx. It's been problem free. The free version has limited sessions (2 hrs?). I upgraded to the paid version - $4, I think.

@dave1812 - would please explain why you say don't use foxfi? Personally I think it's bad form to say "don't use x" with out explaining why you shouldn't.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure foxfi works with tablet first off. Next if it does, there is no difference. Either way you are generating an Internet connection.

One thing though, I do not believe that out of the box your n7 is connected to a data source (verizon). Meaning you do not have that on your data plan correct? If that is the case, foxfi will not do it for you

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I have Foxfi on my Bionic and my N7 connects with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have an old Samsung Fascinate through Verizon Wireless, and use it with FoxFi installed on it.......works great connecting my N7 to it when I need to use my GPS on the N7!

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are able to access the stock wifi hotspot on your phone, there is no reason to use Foxfi. They accomplish the same task.

NaslyT

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a HTC EVO 4g lte and tried installing foxfi for my n7, it appeared to be doing fine on my phone but I couldn't get it to find my n7?? Does anyone know if the 2 devices are compatible?? By the way my provider is sprint which does not offer free wifi hotspot.

Thank you!!!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I use foxfi all the time on my Razr Maxx. It's been problem free. The free version has limited sessions (2 hrs?). I upgraded to the paid version - $4, I think.

@dave1812 - would please explain why you say don't use foxfi? Personally I think it's bad form to say "don't use x" with out explaining why you shouldn't.

Bad form? No need for you to be rude.

1. Read the current reviews of foxfi

2. Foxfi no longer free

3. It takes a long time for devices to get a connection using foxfi. Portable hot spot is quick to connect

I see no reason to use what USED to be everyone's favorite hot spot app. Times have changed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't use Foxfi. Use Portable wifi Hotspot instead.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Since Foxfi won't works with my ICS phone and I saw Portable wifi did work with Jelly Bean and ICS I downloaded it on both my N7 and phone. Also, this Tether didn't need Root.

Thanks I got it working and this is one simple app. Touch to turn on and touch to turn off on both your N7 and phone. I did get hung up with no instructions and when I first connected from my N7 it wanted a password. After I looked around on my phone I turned on the phone's tether option (Setting..MORE) and set up the 8 letter password on the phone. Then the N7 connected and gave it the new password and it works great. It was a cake walk to get working. Thanks.

Last edited:

johnnystyle757

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and I use foxfi everyday as a wifi hotspot for my N7 when I'm not at home. I use foxfi because a one time purchase cost of $7 is better than $20 a month to use the stock hotspot on my EVO 4G LTE. However if you upgrade to 4.2 jelly bean, you can only connect to foxfi through bluetooth. To use bluetooth DUN option you must download pdanet from google play store to the N7. It works perfectly fine for me.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot from the Playstore supporter Jelly Bean and ICS and is cheaper than Foxfi. Don't think it has a Bluetooth option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch