IMS Service keeps stopping error every few seconds . . .

Bolt55

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Yesterday, after a system update (to build G965FXXUCFTJ2), my "international" unlocked S9 Plus (SM-G965F) became essentially unusable when it began generating pop-up error messages indicating "IMS Service keeps stopping" every few seconds. It became sluggish, ran hot (high temperature), and the battery drained rapidly -- all symptoms reported with this same problem on Samsung's own forums for a variety of Samsung phones, and elsewhere over the past month (here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...keeps-stopping-Galaxy-S10/td-p/1450285/page/2 , here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9/IMS-service-stopping-interrupting/td-p/1450127 here https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-unfortunately-ims-service-has-stopped-on-galaxy-j7-1093553 , and here https://appuals.com/fix-ims-service-has-stopped/ for instance.)

From these reports, the triggers for the problem don't all appear identical (i.e., in my case a system update), though I wouldn't be surprised if the heart of the problem isn't the same in all cases. There are also reports from a year or so ago when this same problem arose with Samsung phones. (Samsung's forum moderator rejected my detail post to its forums on this experience -- which makes me wonder if they are limiting the reporting of by many others giving the impression, perhaps, that the issue is less widespread than it is in fact).

Some report that switching off RCS messaging solves the problem -- that doesn't appear to apply to my device. I cleared messaging and other caches and data (and the cache partition). The problem seems to disappear if I put the device in Airplane Mode or remove the SIM card (which others report as well) -- so while isolating at home on wifi, I can still use the phone. I haven't tried more radical proposed solutions such as flashing a prior system update or doing a hard reset. My current SIM is very old, dating to 2015 or 2016, and SimpleMobile (a MVNO on the T-Mobile network) has agreed to send me a new one. Some have reported that replacing their SIM cards resolved the problem (other reported it didn't).

This is very frustrating, and I think Samsung should step up to the plate and discuss what's been going on, including whether there is an incompatibility between recent system updates, on the one hand, and some SIM cards still in use, or apps, on the other hand.

If you have encountered this same issue in the past couple of months, please detail your experience in a reply, including what model phone you have, what SIM, and any event (such as a system or app update) that may have triggered it -- as well as any solutions that worked for you. Has anyone heard any direct info about the issue from Samsung?

Many thanks!

Bolt55

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. I haven't tried resetting network settings yet, but it does happen in Safe Mode. A virtually identical outbreak of this same symptom/problem was reported a year ago among users of U.S.-sourced S9 and S9 Plus phones in Australia and New Zealand, reported here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9/IMS-Service-Keeps-Stopping/td-p/822062 (for many, many pages of reports and comments).

By inference, it appears very strongly related to a compatibility issue between a specific Samsung system update to U.S.-versions of the phone, on the one hand, Asia-Pacific mobile-operator SIMS, on the other hand. The only solution that worked that was reported in this entire thread (linked in the prior paragraph) was flashing the previous firmware to the phone (using Odin). Unfortunately, in my case that appears to be impossible because the latest firmware update also installed a new bootloader to Odin stops with the error message SW REV. CHECK FAIL BOOTLOADER DEVICE 12 BINARY 11. No damage done in the attempt, but no solution either.

So my working hypothesis/hope is that my SM-G965F (CSC Country: GHANA / GH, reported by the Phone Info app for Samsung devices -- I bought the dual sim phone 2-1/2 years or so ago on Amazon at a modest discount from U.S.-version prices) and my 5 year-old SimpleMobile SIM are incompatible, but a replacement SIM that SimpleMobile has promised it's sending me will be compatible. If this hypothesis is correct, then it would also explain possibly why the problem I'm encountering now is relatively uncommon -- something's changed in the configuration of newer U.S. SIMs eliminating the compatibility issue.

Thoughts?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I haven't tried resetting network settings yet, but it does happen in Safe Mode. A virtually identical outbreak of this same symptom/problem was reported a year ago among users of U.S.-sourced S9 and S9 Plus phones in Australia and New Zealand, reported here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9/IMS-Service-Keeps-Stopping/td-p/822062 (for many, many pages of reports and comments).

By inference, it appears very strongly related to a compatibility issue between a specific Samsung system update to U.S.-versions of the phone, on the one hand, Asia-Pacific mobile-operator SIMS, on the other hand. The only solution that worked that was reported in this entire thread (linked in the prior paragraph) was flashing the previous firmware to the phone (using Odin). Unfortunately, in my case that appears to be impossible because the latest firmware update also installed a new bootloader to Odin stops with the error message SW REV. CHECK FAIL BOOTLOADER DEVICE 12 BINARY 11. No damage done in the attempt, but no solution either.

So my working hypothesis/hope is that my SM-G965F (CSC Country: GHANA / GH, reported by the Phone Info app for Samsung devices -- I bought the dual sim phone 2-1/2 years or so ago on Amazon at a modest discount from U.S.-version prices) and my 5 year-old SimpleMobile SIM are incompatible, but a replacement SIM that SimpleMobile has promised it's sending me will be compatible. If this hypothesis is correct, then it would also explain possibly why the problem I'm encountering now is relatively uncommon -- something's changed in the configuration of newer U.S. SIMs eliminating the compatibility issue.

Thoughts?
Hi, welcome to AC!
So your using a different region phone in the US ?
What's the carrier you using in US?

Bolt55

Oct 27, 2020
Visit site
SimpleMobile, a MVNO for T-Mobile. The issue arose a year ago in Australia and New Zealand among the many S9 and S9 Plus owners there who were using the less expensive U.S. version (local version phones are considerably more expensive in both Australia and New Zealand, I understand, and many in the thread I linked to in my immediately previous post reported purchasing their phones from Kogan, a grey-market importer of the U.S. version) -- so though this problem arises, it seems, with phones originally destined for a different region, unlocked phones still shouldn't encounter such incompatibilities, IMHO -- in addition to those of us who deliberately purchased a grey-market phone, people also travel with their home-market phones around the world and use local SIM cards while on the road. One American in that very situation reported encountering the problem in Australia in the same thread linked in my previous message.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
SimpleMobile, a MVNO for T-Mobile. The issue arose a year ago in Australia and New Zealand among the many S9 and S9 Plus owners there who were using the less expensive U.S. version (local version phones are considerably more expensive in both Australia and New Zealand, I understand, and many in the thread I linked to in my immediately previous post reported purchasing their phones from Kogan, a grey-market importer of the U.S. version) -- so though this problem arises, it seems, with phones originally destined for a different region, unlocked phones still shouldn't encounter such incompatibilities, IMHO -- in addition to those of us who deliberately purchased a grey-market phone, people also travel with their home-market phones around the world and use local SIM cards while on the road. One American in that very situation reported encountering the problem in Australia in the same thread linked in my previous message.
This the issues you will encounter, the US version use different chips and bands then international version, also US versions don't use dual sim . My recommendation is sell it and get a phone here since your in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia