Copy WMV files to Nexus 7

forgetiii

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone! I know the N7 does not natively play .wmv files, and I know that using either MX Player or VLC will play .wmv files on an Android device, But the issue that I am having is I cannot copy .wmv files onto the N7. When copying the file to the N7 I get the message that it is not compatible with the device, but I have read that people have had success getting .wmv files onto the N7. If that is at all true, then how the hell do I get around the inability to copy the file onto the device?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
What method are you using to copy and to what folder are you copying? As far as I know, a file is a file and it shouldn't make any difference to the device as to what type of file is being copied. It's not until you try to open the file on the device that the file type would make a difference.

forgetiii

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have tried just dragging and dropping the file into the "Movies" and the "Videos" folders on the N7, and when I try, I first get a message that I can copy, but the device does not support .wmv files. Then when I try to continue, the next message I get is that it cannot be copied because it's a .wmv file.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this is because of the Media Transfer Protocol connection, which makes your PC think that the Nexus 7 is a media player. Since WMV is not natively supported by the Nexus 7, this may be why you get the error message. Unfortunately, there is no USB Mass Storage connection, which would treat the Nexus 7 as just another drive.

One way around this may be to use AirDroid, which I've seen endorsed many times on these forums. It allows you to move files wirelessly between your Nexus 7 and your PC, with the tablet being seen as essentially another drive. I don't have personal experience with it, but it's worth trying and it's free. A somewhat clunkier way would be to upload your WMV to some cloud service like Box, and then download it to your tablet, but that'd take a lot longer.

Trevor M26

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
okay, I'm having a problem. I downloaded a movie from universaldigitalcopy.com , and when I try to convert it to any format, it ends up looking like a bunch of random pixels. not at all like the movie. I did use freemake and all, but to no avail either. I'm tired of this. Does anyone know how to fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that those downloaded movies (which are through Ultraviolet) are heavily copy protected, and can probably be played only through a proprietary player, so I doubt you can convert it freely. I'll read up more about it.

Posted via Android Central App