Nexus 7 Color Saturation Question

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting my first tablet but not sure what to buy. I want one in the 7 inch range but I hate my parent's Kindle Fire. I love the Android environment so the 32 GB Nexus 7 seems optimal for me but I've read so many different reviews talking about the colors being washed out and not being too detailed. Display is a huge deal for me so I was just wondering if this is still a problem with newer built Nexus 7's or if it's been fixed. If not, I was thinking of giving Apple a try for the first time with the iPad Mini. I've played with it in stores and it seems to have a nice display. Although the idea of not being able to customize much on it scares me.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the Acer Iconia A100 prior to the N7 and I can tell you the display is night and day difference. I never thought that the display was going to be a big deal for me, but I don't think I can ever go back. I compared the N7 and the mini side by side and they are both great displays. I watch videos and play games on my N7 all of the time and I think the display quality is great.

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You've got me confused sir, are you saying I would be disappointed with it? I'm mainly just wondering about the display quality here. I already know I'm going to love the OS and the Android experience.

Thank you for the input on the display, Diknak.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Sir.. I like that...

"Looking to be disappointed"... Like say a apple fan boy type. The display is fantastic....

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm by no means an Apple fan boy, quite the opposite actually. I've always despised their marketing scheme but I won't delve into that. The only reason I considered the iPad mini because like I said I want a 7 inch tablet but I'd like one that's actually good. Cost isn't really relevant. I'm thinking I'm going with the Nexus 7 though. I hate the idea of being constricted in the IOS ecosystem.

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still not 100% sure because I keep finding more and more posts online about the Nexus 7's display having a "washed out" look when it comes to colors and vibrancy.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
You find what you look for, so shut up and go look at it for yourself already. The nexus is more than a nice screen. The only thing it won't do better than a mini is impress your apple cult type friends.....

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I love elitists like yourself.

But anyway: My friends don't own any Apple products or Android for that matter. So you can stop trying to act like there's some bias here for why I'm not jumping up and down for this product. I'm simply trying to find the best I can in the 7 inch range regardless of the brand. So yes, I'm going to want to know if there are any problems before I shell out $250 for it.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so washed out compared to what? Point is you won't know until YOU see it for yourself. Even then you won't be able to tell a difference on a 7" screen....

What's your alternative? Shell out $430 for a mini with less resolution, half the ram and half the cores?

Elitist or not, I think I'm being nice considering what a stupid question it is....:p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Before this thread gets out of hand ... to the OP, how about buying a Nexus 7 from a store with a good return policy, test driving it for a week or two to see if it satisfies you, and returning it if it doesn't? I think Staples and Best Buy have a pretty good return policy (although I don't know their exact details).

Personally, I think the screen is just fine. Colors always look better if you crank up the brightness to 100%, so that's always an option. I like to prolong battery life, though, so usually have it on Auto Brightness.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Staples is very tyrannical with their 14-day return policy. Go in on day 15, and they'll basically tell you to go screw yourself. Best Buy isn't an option because they don't sell the Nexus 7 (unless something has changed in the past few weeks). Wal-Mart does sell them (along with Nexus 10), and their return policy is a bit looser.

As for my two cents on the display, I've never really noticed any glaring saturation problems with my N7. I tend to prefer extending battery life as long as possible, so I keep my devices' brightness levels around 20-25% during everyday use--so there's always going to be a general lack of vibrancy for me. Crank it up to 100%, and yes the display does seem washed out but that's because it's really REALLY bright!

I agree with those who've suggested that, if you go in looking for a specific problem (especially one that's so subjective in the first place), then chances are you'll find it even if it's not really there. I will say that I'm more than pleased with N7 and have absolutely no reason to trade up until it either dies or the technology gets too outdated.

MikeCamp91

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sadly Best Buy doesn't sell the Nexus 7 and my only option right now is getting it online because it's sold out everywhere. I'm gonna just go ahead and order one though and hope for the best.

And Mathelm, the Mini is only $329 but I can get it for around $296 with a discount for where I work. So about the same price with tax as the 32 GB Nexus 7. And numbers don't mean anything, all the mini's I've tried in stores responded extremely fast surprisingly. Haven't been able to find a Nexus 7 demo though.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I like to prolong battery life, though, so usually have it on Auto Brightness.

Now, I've heard from multiple sources that using Auto Brightness is one of the WORST things you can do for battery life because it requires the device's sensors to be in a state of continuous scanning. What's your experience with that?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
And Mathelm, the Mini is only $329 but I can get it for around $296 with a discount for where I work. So about the same price with tax as the 32 GB Nexus 7. And numbers don't mean anything, all the mini's I've tried in stores responded extremely fast surprisingly. Haven't been able to find a Nexus 7 demo though.

Sorry, doing an apples to apples (no pun) thing, $429 for the 32gb version.

You should check out this girl on youtube. She's pretty netrual it seems and pleasant to watch. She shows the differences in the two side by side in her reviews of each (she has separate reviews for each, and together I think).

To the OP and others,
I apologize for getting a bit testy earlier. It's not an excuse, but sometimes local issues seem to find their way into my post. And I almost never mean it as bad as it sounds. So please excuse some of my earlier statements....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now, I've heard from multiple sources that using Auto Brightness is one of the WORST things you can do for battery life because it requires the device's sensors to be in a state of continuous scanning. What's your experience with that?

Interesting--I've never read that, but I can see how it might make sense. But I wonder what takes more battery--having the sensors work or keeping the pixels constantly at 100% brightness? There must be someone who's done a side by side test.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Let me put it this way, the display on the n7 is much better than that of what you get on an iPad mini or the Samsung 7 inch tab2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38