Startup times

Oboereed

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got my nexus 7 (32Gb, wifi only) a week ago and I've been putting apps on it and such. It's a great little machine and I love it.

Fast-forward to today and my mother decided she wanted one. So we go pick one up for her and I'm setting it up and I notice hers goes from off to usable in about 35 seconds. Mine takes anywhere from 55 seconds to 1:10 to go from off to usable.

I understand it's a tiny thing, but it still bugs me. Could this be indicative of some larger issue, or am I just paranoid?

I have seen a few threads about similar complaints and they all talk about holding the power button. On mine I just have to hold the power button for about 5 seconds, but the Google splash screen doesn't come up for another 10 seconds. My moms shows the splash page in about 3 seconds.

I'm still within my 30 day return period, so I wonder if I should return mine or just get used to slower boot times.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Just tested mine (bout 6 or 7 weeks old 3g version). 4-5 sec from button push to google splash. Then about 45 sec to main screen with icons (don't use lock screen). The icons disappear for a few seconds while things sync up, so it ends up being about your time frame....

btw, google music is in the middle of uploading my mp3's, so mine may have been affected by the slowed net connection. But I think your's in fine....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a relatively small difference. Considering that you've installed a bunch of apps on yours, and your mother's was presumably fresh out of the box when you were comparing them, it may be that the startup time difference is related to an app (or to multiple apps). If it's important to you, you could always factory reset your Nexus 7, then compare the startup time with your mother's device, but that seems like a bit a of a hassle. In general, you don't really need to power down your Nexus 7 unless it's misbehaving, so boot times should be a relatively minor concern.

Oboereed

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! Thanks for the quick reply. Since the N7 is working perfectly fine I'll stick with it for awhile. Just as an aside, I got mine at Sam's Club. They extend the warranty on the device for 2 years for $20. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but this one was nice and cheap and with a lot of other people running into other issues about the bezel and glass and screen flickering and so on I went ahead and sprung (springed?) for it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a pretty good deal for a warranty. Is there a lot of fine print, or will they exchange it no questions asked?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
That is a good price for 2 years. Hopefully you'll have better luck with sam's than another poster here. Personally I'm liking the free 1 year rapid replacement warranty from google play.

Btw, just counted and have 164 apps on mine...

Oboereed

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
hopefully its not too bad. the way they described it made it seem like i can exchange it as long as i didn't intentionally cause the damage.

Oboereed

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I wound up returning my nexus 7 today and exchanged it for another. I noticed this morning that the battery life on mine and my mother's units were significantly different. Mine was losing battery at a faster rate. Not a huge drain but definitely noticeable. Anyway, I exchanged it and am happy to report that the new one boots up lickety split and the battery drain is more in line with other research I've done.

Thanks again for all the help and input!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ruger141

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I was told that SAMs Club has a 30 day return window. Even if you bought the extended warranty you only have the 30 days to return. Then... The manufacturer's warranty kicks in(Asus) an you have to wait until that expires for the SAMs *Extended* warranty to kick in which will allow refunds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk