How to increase screen display time on lock screen

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Device: Moto e30
Android version: 11
Software Channel: eegb

Does anyone know how to increase the length of time the screen display stays on the lock screen? Currently, if I push the power button when in sleep mode, to display the lock screen, the display screen stays on for about 5 seconds, then it dims to a lower brightness for about 2 seconds, then turns off. I can't find the option anywhere in the settings, or any downloadable apps that do this specifically.

I am not talking about how long the screen display stays on when in normal use, so not in the lock screen. I currently have this set to two minutes, and would like the lock screen display time to be about 30 seconds. Thx in advance.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Go to Settings, Lock Screen, and adjust your timeout as shown in the pics. Good luck
bdd0721eda5dd22dba98770564839ddf.jpg
6384d44cac361a66d9d9cb02076d48bb.jpg

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. There is no specific lock screen option in the settings. The only lock screen options in the settings I can see is under the heading:

> security
Screen lock, fingerprint.

After this option is opened, under device security, there is a lock screen option with a settings icon next to it, after this settings icon is pushed, the only two options that follow are:

>Lock after screen timeout (which is set to two minutes)
>Power buttons locks instantly
Except when kept unlocked by smart lock (There is an on/off slider to the right of this option)

That first option above, lock after screen timeout, is simply whether I want the screen to lock when the display turns off when the phone is not in lock screen.

There are some options for editing the lock screen function under the display option in the settings, but none of these are how to change the length of the screen display time. They are mostly notification settings.

I am wondering if this is to do with the device, a moto e30, rather than android.

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Here are screenshots of the settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023-102332.png
    Screenshot_20231023-102332.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231023-102346.png
    Screenshot_20231023-102346.png
    117 KB · Views: 8

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
As you can see, if you open security you can see screen lock under device security, with a settings icon to the right of it.

If you push screen lock, you are asked to enter the lock pattern, then you can choose whether you want a pattern, pin or swipe lock function.

If you press the settings icon, you get taken to the screen lock options displayed in the second attachment. From here you get two options. The only relevant option here is whether you want the screen to be locked when the display timeout function kicks in, which is currently set at two minutes and is on. This is the setting for the display timer when the phone is in normal use, not in its lock function.

I've searched all over the settings, tried everything related to the lock screen, and I'm convinced the reason I can't do this is because of the device, the moto e30, rather than android.

There probably would be a way to do it by hacking into the phone code, but that's way too advanced for me.

I haven't had much luck looking for applications that could do this either. It seems to be more of a system function than anything that could be easily fixed.

Attachments

• Security.png
    Security.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen lock options.png
    Screen lock options.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 8

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can set the display timeout on the lock screen just screen timeout and don't see that on a couple of my Androids devices.
I agree with Mustang7757.

What's been offered as a solution has nothing to do with the lock screen display timeout. That's only the amount of time it takes for the phone itself to lock after pressing the lock/power button, or after the regular screen timeout period had passed and is common to Android in general as far as I know.

Reactions: mustang7757

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Central News Discussion forum to the Moto E forum.

Do you have any power-saving modes turned on? I think on prior Samsung phones, if a power-saving mode was turned on, the lockscreen display timeout would be really short. But as others mentioned above, I don't think there's a way to extend the lockscreen timeout duration. If your phone has an Always On Display option, that may be your best bet.

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
Actually, it looks like Moto has the Moto Display feature, not Always On Display: https://en-gb.support.motorola.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/151002. I don't think that stays on indefinitely.
Thank you for this, but I can't actually see a solution on this page (to prolonging lock screen display time). Please direct me if it is actually there.

I do not have the battery saver on as I don't like the automated functions, but have various things in place to prolong the duration of the battery, such as setting the screen brightness to a much lower %.

I do however have an application installed: Accubattery, which is how my obsession with battery life started. I don't think this changes any of these functions though. It's more to measure battery charge times, discharging of the battery (the use of the battery) and the overall battery health.

This isn't a large issue really, just a minor frustration. It would be great to have around 30 seconds on the lock screen just so I can properly read some of the display information from Accubattery, and other notifications. At the moment, it's currently like five seconds.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't implying that Moto Display had an option to prolong the lockscreen display timeout -- I posted that because I initially thought the phone had Always On Display. In fact, it doesn't, but rather has the Moto Display, which works differently (most notably for you, it doesn't allow the screen to stay on indefinitely like AOD would).

Cadmus8421

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
No problem. Thanks for trying anyway. I realize this is a common issue, as seen in this thread:

I suppose it's either go directly to the developers of android or moto, or go back to school and learn how to hack into the source code of my phone. Can't decide which one would be a simpler fix 🫤

Reactions: B. Diddy

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Thanks for trying anyway. I realize this is a common issue, as seen in this thread:

I suppose it's either go directly to the developers of android or moto, or go back to school and learn how to hack into the source code of my phone. Can't decide which one would be a simpler fix 🫤
Well, Google ain't gonna do anything about it.

I honestly think option 2 might be easier.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, a company as huge as Google that's responsible for an OS as huge as Android can't respond to every single request for a modification or fix. They need to weigh how common the request is before they consider it. So the only direct option with Google is to send feedback, and encourage others with your concern to do the same. Most people feel that sending feedback does nothing, but I can say that there have been plenty of times I've sent feedback about an issue and found it fixed a short time later (but this was in the setting of a glitch/bug, rather than a request for a new feature).

The other option would be to look for a 3rd party solution, either through an app or a custom ROM.

Reactions: rvbfan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000