Nexus 7 suddenly unrecognized USB device

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
So something weird going on with my Nexus 7. A couple of days ago, my laptop stopped recognizing my Nexus 7 and I'm getting "Unrecognized USB Device".
I've googled the crap out of this. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers through ADB, Nexus 7 Toolkit, and the stand alone downloaded with manual browsing. USB Debugging is enabled. I've rebooted the device and my laptop multiple times. I've followed many different solutions and nothing is working!
Any ideas?
I don't understand why it just stopped being recognized all of a sudden.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
go to settings > storage > 3 dots at top right > usb > and make sure you are set to Media device (MTP) and not Camera (PTP)

the second thing to ensure is that you use the EXACT SAME USB PORT on the laptop that used to work.

If neither of those work, update your laptop USB drivers from Microsoft... they may have gotten corrupted

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I've tried both MTP and PTP with no luck.
Also tried every USB port including the one that worked originally.
I'll check for USB drivers, but dont believe they have any.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I've tried both MTP and PTP with no luck.
Also tried every USB port including the one that worked originally.
I'll check for USB drivers, but dont believe they have any.

yeh, they always do but they generally work well without issues with the default install

Microsoft USB Drivers for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7

those are USB drivers for XP thru win7

also you should check your cable for cut wires, broken or bent pins etc or simply use a different cable

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My N7 connected great to my win7-64 pc until one day I picked up the cable to plug in my N7 (cable was already connected to pc) and created a static shock to the microusb end connector on the cable. Plugged it into the N7 and couldn't connect. It wouldn't connect using any of the 4 ports in that bank of ports. Other ports still work and the N7 will connect properly to any port other than the back of 4 that got zapped.

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
No luck.
I've tried 2 other PCs and 3 different cables. Still come up as unrecognized device regardless of the correct drivers.
USB Debugging is enable and set to MTP mode.
Any more ideas? Starting to think my Nexus 7 is damaged...

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
USB debugging should NOT be enabled for most uses.

I would give google/asus support a shout and then you will likely need to return it for repair. Sounds like you might have zapped the N7 port with a shot of static or had a chip fail.

I assume you can still charge the N7 so not everything has failed ?

Droid Kitty

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am unable to see my Nexus 7 via USB but I'm also experiencing issues while charging. It will not charge or recognize anything is plugged into the micro USB when powered on. Only when powered off.

Asus support told me they could not help me and I should contact someone with regards to the OS. Basically, they said it's not their issue and I've already tried all the troubleshooting they recommended.

Are you having this issue, too? What version are you running?

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys have passwords on your tablets? My laptop won't pick it up unless I unlock before connecting. I had the same problem. It was working and then it wasn't.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Tried it both ways. I rooted it when i first got the device is why I had it turned on. And before anyone asks, yes it was being recognized after it was rooted. I still have stock Android 4.2.1 on it. This problem just developed about a week ago. I have changed nothing on the tablet.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
this is not a problem with the N7 this is (95%) a problem with the PC I go through this a few times a month where i have to delete the drivers and then re-add them using WUGs toolkit works every time

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
this is not a problem with the N7 this is (95%) a problem with the PC I go through this a few times a month where i have to delete the drivers and then re-add them using WUGs toolkit works every time

I tried WUGs toolkit and it did not work. I have also tried on several other PCs using differnt cables and that did not work either.

tenstrum

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried using StickMount to mount a USB drive that i had previously been able to mount to my Nexus and it was unable to see it. Really think my Nexus is broke...

patrick06

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I read other threads where people had the same issue. They damaged their nexus usb port using a car charger.
They had to return it back to Asus for repair....

Envoy? depuis mon GT-N7100 avec Tapatalk