Can't connect my Note 10+ to Windows 7 via USB

wgraz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
When I enable USB Debugging and connect my Note 10+ to my Win 7 PC, NOTHING HAPPENS. No beep, no popup indicating unrecognized device. At lease if I get something in my device mgr, I can install the USB drivers if necessary. No Event Viewer events, Scanned drives in Disk Mgr, and scanned for hardware changes in Device Mgr. Unless one of my windows services is disabled but that's a shot in the dark.

I can connect a thumb drive to my Note10+ using the same USB cable I tried to connect to the PC with, and browse the thumb drive files.

And of course, I can connect my thumb drive to the PC and other devices, but not the phone. Tried all USB ports on the PC. Even opened a thread here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/cannot-connect-note10-to-pc.4287625/

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

In the mean time, I need to find a different PC and another USB cable, even though the same cable works if I connect the thumb drive to the phone.

When I connect the Note 10 to the PC, I get a silent notification: "Charging connected device via USB" and when I click on it, there's two menus with radio buttons.

First menu: "USB Controlled by:"
1) USB Controlled by Connected Device <--this one is selected
2) This Phone.

The second menu: "The USB is for:"
1) Transferring Files Android / Auto <--- this one is selected but the entire menu is greyed out because it's controlled by a setting in dev. options
2) USB Tethering
3) MIDI
4) Transferring Images
5) Charging Phone only

Thanks again.

Factory Unlocked Note 10+ Android 11 One UI 3.1.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, have you already tried different USB cables, or do you still need to get some others to test?

Second, you typically don't have to turn on USB Debugging in order to connect an Android device to a PC. Try turning off USB Debugging, then connect the phone to the PC via USB, and then swipe down the notification panel. Is there a USB notification there?

wgraz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I finally found someone who had a one piece USB-C to USB-A cable. And it worked.. the cable did. But then I was presented with an ongoing host of windows issues.. missing .dlls, unable to install VISUAL C++ REDISTRIBUTABLE, which led to other issues (outdated Win 7) only so I can do some ADB commands to remove android bloat. In the end, I resorted to the 15 seconds ADB Installer which worked. Sorry for the late reply. I was sitting here a half of a day AFTER getting a workable cable, trying to get this to work.

You're right about USB Debugging. It was however required to run some ADB commands. When I used the ADB commands, I got a popup on the phone to enable USB Debugging again. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes. I finally found someone I was able to borrow a new cable from which is a one piece USB-C to USB-A cable. And it worked.. the cable did. Once the cable worked, I was presented with an ongoing host of other issues windows issues (outdated Win 7) in attempts to do some ADB commands to remove bloat. In the end, I resorted to the 15 seconds ADB Installer which worked. Sorry for the late reply. I was sitting here all day trying to get this to work.

You're right about USB Debugging. It was however required to run some ADB commands. When I used the ADB commands, I got a popup on the phone to enable USB Debugging again. Thanks for your help.
Hi, for bloat removal , you tried Package Disabler Pro or Alliance Shield ?

wgraz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I looked into them a few days ago, but I thought the ADB commands via the DOS prompt would be easier. I was wrong. LOL. Now that I have it working, I'll stick with ADB. I also used it to disable Android Doze to get my email notifications quicker. Nice knowing I have a backup method if need be. Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej