Uh... What did I do? New Nexus 7 and old Android user

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OK -

So I needed a tablet and I just couldn't wait for a Nexus 8 and couldn't bring myself to buy that fruit flavored Mini (although it just does hit that perfect size sweet spot!!!).

I am a forever Android/Google eco-system guy and both the wife and I have Samsung S3's. Upon booting my new Nexus 7 I synch'd my Google Account using my gmail id that I have had for eternity.... then something new, as only Google can do, appeared. Backup and Restore... well, of course... I like clouds. I look at them from all sides now...

Anyway... before I know it, a boatload of Google Play apps start showing up and downloading.... For all intents and purposing - RESTORING on my Nexus. OK... so how does this adversely, if at all, affect the functionality of my S3? Are purchases (whether free or not) now from Google Play and "Right To Use" across all platforms irrespective of the number of devices I have? So this means my Co-PilotUSA Live is also functional on my Nexus as well as my phone? My Swift-Key might be an option to use on the Nexus as well as my phone (assuming the app is functional for the Nexus 7).

Yeah... I sound like an idiot but I am not. I have been using Google apps since the dawn of time. I just hate their constantly renaming stuff, changing base functionality, re-crafting their ecosystem for different behavior.... I am just not paying that much attention to what "they" are doing these days.

Thanks for any quality input. I accept name calling to. I have thick skin.;)

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
The program purchase is by account and its linked devices, so the items will function across all Android devices. All Apps, books, movies etc. No need for extra fees or activations. Amazon is the same way too

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It won't affect your Galaxy S3; from my experience, purchased applications are tied to your Google account, not your device. This means you can use purchased applications on multiple devices, assuming they're all signed into the same account.

So no, your new tablet will not affect your Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
It is not just your apps. It will also restore WiFi passwords, for example. If you want to take it a step further, you can then use the app Carbon Backup to pull user app data over too. Got angry bird game saves and want to pick it up where you left of on your gs3? No problem! You can play away, then you can go back to you gs3 and resync and move the new settings over! (This feature is part of the paid version)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OK... I get it now. What confused me was the issue that the N7 responded "Restoring from Backup."
That's the thing I hate about Google is that they create their own vernacular. How about "Syncing your account apps and data." No real opportunity for ambiguity. Thanks folks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo