N7 A-beam with Samsung Galaxy S3 - both on 4.2.2 Funkiness???

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I know that this has been discussed to death... heck, I even authored a thread about the differences of A-beam, S-beam, WiFi Direct, and other variants of Bluetooth/802.11 in the Samsung eco-system vs. Android OS...

But, sometimes.... things just simply confound me. And this might be Application specific rather than file specific. So here it goes. Please... patience is required:

I receive a gmail with a .docx file attachment. My stock VZW S3 opens this with Polaris Viewer (this is sort of new to me... what happened to Docs To Go? -- whatever). Fine. I have a .docx file that's pretty small. As I am an eco-system fan of Android, my .docx is also on my N7. My wife sitting next to me says "Hey, do you have the document?" We turn on NFC on our devices (she - S3, me - N7) and we touch. "BOING" goes our devices and I tap the document and it shrinks and "Poof!" Nada... nothing... zilch... zip. Directionality here is N7->S3.

I do the same with a song via the S3 stock music player. OK... songs are big and it's bluetooth after all but there are plenty of people here to say it works and it's fast enough. So, I open the actual song on the S3, NFC on both devices, "Boing," TAP, nothing....

I do the same with a picture on the S3 (and that's larger than the song)... and it works just fine S3->N7.

Submitted for discussion. Of course, after doing all this, I then discover that the N7 supports WiFi Direct but it's from a Setting sub-menu in the WiFi environment that is not too obvious. I have yet to play with that.

Going to play more at lunch.

OK... Played with WiFi direct and both devices connected with an adhoc 802.11 connection. Accepted invites without a hitch. Use the stock S3 player function "Share With WiFi Direct" and the file sharing fails. File type for trial is .m4a and there are no digital rights mgmt associated with it.

Last edited:

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
<BUMP>
Really... not a single reply? Isn't this a Google EcoSystem forum? This means I am going to have to contact someone at Google. <Sigh>... into the black hole...