Nexus 7 powers down while plugged in

husserl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to find an answer to this question for ages but after searching google and loads of forums I can't find the answer:

Is it normal that my nexus 7 will power down even if I have it plugged in to the charger? Maybe I am playing some game, or watching a movie, but once I get that 4% warning plugging it in will only slow down when it will shut off. Most laptops and phones I have had will work fine after being plugged in, but not the nexus 7.

Anyway info about this would be greatly appreciated!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are consuming more power than it is receiving by charging then yes, it will power down. Are you using the stock charger?

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Even the wall charger may not be enough to keep up. My wall charger is giving me an 0.8 amp charging rate which is a little less than 3 watts. For 5 hour battery life which be high for gaming or some other uses the N7 would use more than 3.2 watts. Since 4% of full battery charge is less than 0.64 watt -hours (or 0.173 amp-hours) you can see that you might be losing ground fast. I check my battery performance using Gauge Battery and Battery Graph free in Play World.

Why is my wall charger stock furnished with the N7 only giving me 0.8 amps instead of 1.8 amps? Maybe I'll try a different outlet. Anybody?

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Stock charger SHOULD be able to charge while using it (provided you are not doing anything intensive). If you're pushing the limits and working the processor hard, then I can see how the charger won't keep up.

Although WHY it's only giving you .8 amps is another matter. Try another plug for sure, although somehow I doubt that's the problem. Your charger might have crapped out but it's tough to say without more info.

Side note: Lithium Ion batteries are much happier and will last longer if you keep the battery topped up rather then running it down to 4%. If you keep doing that long term your battery's life will be reduced. Check out this link for more info:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

husserl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am using the stock charger and often playing 3D games, so it is being pushed the limits. I guess it is just how it is. I am used to laptops it runs straight off the power. With the Nexus it seems to require it going through the battery first, which is the reason it dies. Oh well, less games for me ;)

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had that same problem when playing The Bards Tale. The charger can't keep up with the drain. The device gets very hot too. I know that is bad for the battery so now I stop playing to recharge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez