NEXUS 7 Spontaneous screen crack

lmcpope

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all-
Today I was using my nexus 7 to listen to spotify, then decided to read on it. I moved from the kitchen counter to a chair, opened the Kindle app just fine, but after 3 or 4 pages I couldn't swipe the page any longer. I tried to reboot, but when the home screen came up, I couldn't use my password swipe bc. half of the screen was suddenly unresponsive and a crack appeared halfway across the screen. Now NONE of the screen will respond! There was NO DROP, no rough use or handling, it goes from my computer bag to a counter top and that's IT, and it's in a very good case. I'm super frustrated as the store says the warranty doesn't cover cracked screens. I've read MANY message boards and some people seem to have had luck getting repairs done. HELP!!

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
you could try force restarting it and see if it's a hardware issue and not the actual screen (hold power button for 10 seconds)
or a hard reset which will delete all the data.. if that doesn't work then its probably the screen is broken..

Garza143

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got a "Nexus 7" two weeks ago everything was working great until this morning I went to take it off of the charger and the screen is cracked down the left side and this happened while it was in a protected case.

steve1time

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes it seems to be the screen had an issue of lifting on the left hand side. There are a few screws that hold the screen down and to stop the lifting. These screws might have been over tightened causing pressure on the glass. I had, as a lot have had the screen lifting issue. I tightened the screws up and I'm now frightened the glass will pop at any moment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
There are between 100 and 200 posts on Nexus 7 Screen Cracks over on Google Forums. Most responses are it just cracks and owners don't know how it happens. Cost to repair via ASUS with shipping is OVER $200. There is a problem, but ASUS just says owner caused damage. End of story. :-(

usman bux

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
same happened to me, i was using it normally, looked up then looked down and it was cracked and screen completely unresponsive im going to try and return it to asus and see if they can fix it under warranty

steady1911

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. It is just a small crack on the bottom left corner. My Nexus 7 is ALWAYS in a protective case and never comes out. It has also started developing multi touch problems. I pressed the home button and the screen just went all over the place. I have not and will not go through ASUS as I have an ASUS laptop and am facing with problems with that. Because of this, I know that ASUS is an absolute pain in the arse for sorting things out and hate having to pay repair fees.

borrowedchief

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, I had this same issue a while ago. I called Asus, explained, and the repaired under warranty. Customer service was great.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa