copying files from computer using usb cable

waterman54

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 for a while but have only now for the first time connected it to my computer with the usb cable, as I wanted to transfer a TV programme across. There's a few things i don't understand so please bear with me, I'll try to be as clear as i can.

With my N7 connected to my computer

1. On my computer, i've gone into the Nexus 7 file and gone into videos and nothing is showing up despite the fact i do have videos on my tablet.

2. I dragged a tv programme (zipped file) into my N7 video folder but when unplugged the tablet and had a look, the programme wasn't there. So on my computer i deleted the tv programme from the N7 videos folder and now the personal videos i had on my tablet have disappeared.

3. Once you close down the Nexus 7 window, is it then safe to unplug the usb? It doesn't actually say.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

thanks

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
1. Just becuase there is a "video" folder on the Nexus 7 filesystem that doesn't mean that's where the apps that have video actually store the video. They are likely in a folder for that program. For example I use Pocket casts for video podcasts, and the videos the app downloads are stored in the Pocket Casts folder, not the video folder.

2. a media player can't play a zip file becuase that is not a media file. unzip the file and just drag the video, not a zip, to the device to be able to play it from the device.

3. yea, as long as you aren't actively transferring files you can pull the USB cable. I usually wait about 10 seconds or so from when I know a file transfer is done.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a file manager on your N7 to view folders and files? If so, use the search function of the file manager to look for your files. ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer are both very good file managers.

Also, try the free app Airdroid (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&token=tDhRiLTF) as an alternative to connecting your N7 via USB. It let's you wirelessly connect through your local WiFi network and control many aspects of your N7, including file management, via a very nice web browser interface on your computer.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
What makes you think they are deleted if you can't find them? As Wunderbar pointed out, the only way the video player will actually play your file is if it's in a format that is recognized by both the App and OS. Secondly, bits are bits... The recommendation would be to load ES File Manager or the like and use that to manage your files and folders on your device. As far as I know, the Nexus 7 stock product has no magic feature to automatically delete a file it does not recognize. But note that a ZIP'd file may have it's challenges without a File Manager solution that can recognize the file naming format and extensions.

Finally, use a rendering tool on your computer to render your final video file in the format that is recognized by your player app of choice and within the limits of the screen resolution. I am an old man and I still use Handbrake. I do this on occasion (grabbing my Media Center files of The Daily Show and rendering them for Android and the resolution that works best for this player or that and a quality and functional codec that is supported).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty