Wifi only Nexus 7 and GPS Navigation questions

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know that the Nexus 7 wifi only model has GPS (it does, right?). I was surprised that Google Maps was navigating and rerouting on my wifi Nexus 7. Does that mean you can download a GPS Navigation app and use navigation even when your device has no connection to wifi? Do you at least need wifi at the outset of the trip so your device or app can look up the address and compute the driving directions or is the GPS functionality able to do that?

Stu2009

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi jdbii
Yes the Nexus 7 does have dedicated GPS. I use CoPilot and the app is very good. Just turn on the GPS from "Location access", the app will do the rest when you have your maps

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Every time I try and use my GPS with no wifi, it says there is no connection...making my GPS useless...

I haven't tried offline with native Google Maps and Navigation, but all the 3rd Party apps I've been experimenting with (copilot; mapquest; navfree) all work offline. For set up and initial use you have to be connected to wifi to be able to download your region's maps. Once they downloaded the map then offline works. GPS connects offline so long you have a GPS signal. It doesn't work in a building, but outside street level it works fine.

lekaelxi

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried offline with native Google Maps and Navigation, but all the 3rd Party apps I've been experimenting with (copilot; mapquest; navfree) all work offline. For set up and initial use you have to be connected to wifi to be able to download your region's maps. Once they downloaded the map then offline works. GPS connects offline so long you have a GPS signal. It doesn't work in a building, but outside street level it works fine.

Are there bike paths/maps available like with gmaps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Are there bike paths/maps available like with gmaps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Yes, Google Maps on my Nexus 7 has bike routes but it warns "Bicycling directions (beta) use caution." It gives route option for auto, bus, bikes, and walking.

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 for 6 months, and just found out about this today!

Question, how does the device cache the local maps? I didn't have to tell it to download maps to use offline. When does the device know to download more maps, or when I use it, when would I know I've crossed the edge of the cached maps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch