'12 Nexus 7 vs. Hisense Sero Pro vs. Memo Pad HD7?

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for probably the nine jillionth "what should I buy post" on all these forums, but I'm about to drive my family crazy hemming and hawing and dithering about purchasing my first tablet, and I can't make up my mind and I need some advice.

I want to buy a tablet. I have $150 to spend for a tablet and case, no more (although for one of my options I might have to dig deeper for a few more quarters). So a 2013 Nexus 7 or anything else in that price range isn't happening. I could wait until I could do a little more, but I'm really not inclined to, plus I view this as a getting my foot in the door situation just to see if I'm going to LIKE a tablet. My only experience with such things is my kid's Kindle Fire and iPod Touch, and I kind of THINK that I'm going to like a tablet, maybe even get hooked on it, but I'm not sure enough to drop $200-$300 first time out.

So I'm thinking my options are a used first-generation Nexus 7, or a new Hisense Sero Pro 7 or ASUS Memo Pad HD 7. I had considered a refurb Galaxy Tab 2 but the specs don't match these, and one of the Nook HD's B&N is clearing but it lacks a camera and while I'm not much of a photographer my understanding is that a camera is needed for some apps to work.

I'm basically looking for something to surf the web, do Twitter and Facebook with, play music (most of stuff is Amazon, I've downloaded a bit from Google Play and am gravitating there more and more because of higher bit rate MP3 encodes, but the vast majority of my music is self-ripped from CDs), play videos (again, much self-ripped), read books with (all are Amazon because I have an original Kindle e-reader), read PDFs with, use as a GPS and use a few boring news/sports/music related apps with (I do not game, at all, and have no plans to start).

It's doubtful that I'll root the thing or look for an alternate ROM, although I see a lot of first-gen Nexus 7's out there with CM, etc., already on it and that would not dissuade me from trying it. I'm basically looking for something that's just going to "work" when I need it, period, when I turn it on, without having to do a lot of user maintenance or have to worry about the thing disintegrating if I breathe on it wrong. Neither am I going to obsess over not getting the latest Android update exactly when everyone else does.

I don't use the Cloud and have no inclination to start, being that so much of my content is self-ripped and I don't have time to upload it nor am I prepared to purchase the extra storage it would take, but a 32-gig Nexus should be sufficient, although the SD card option for the others is attractive, would make it easier to change out content (and would be a must given Hisense's 8 gig internal, the ASUS is a bit better at 16).

And I'm not going to obsess about screen resolution, either, eyes aren't good enough in my middle-aged years to worry about seeing every skin pore on a person's face when I'm watching video on a 7-inch screen.

So, which of these tablets would best suit my needs at the best price? I'm posting this on the 2012 Nexus 7 forum because in my heart of hearts that's probably how I'm leaning, but I trust the objectivity of folks here to lead me in a different direction if that's where I need to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I loved my Nexus 7 (2012), in fact I had 2 of them! (one was a gift) It's a great tablet AND can probably be had cheaply since the new one just came out. :)

bpcooper14

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the Sero 7 Pro and love it. The sd slot and hdmi out capabilities for the price are what pushed me over the top on it. For 129 at most walmarts now it is a pretty great bargain. If you should get inclined to root/rom, there is a pretty good one out there right now and there is definite interest in it. I have had tablets in the past but wanted something to play around with that I didn't break the bank in purchasing. I have a windows tablet, HTC one and the sero 7 pro and all get use depending on the situation.

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking as well and it's either the Sero Pro for $129 or the ASUS MeMo HD7 for $149. I like that the MeMo has the wireless hd for when I get the Google dongle thingy to hook to my tv. Combined, that's a nicer setup than a long cable.

I read a good review that compared them a bit and each did something a bit better than the other.....

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have both the 2012 nexus 7 and the sero 7 pro. I really enjoy both tablets. They are comparable in performance. I think the hisense may be better suited to your needs. It sounds like you want to store a lot of music and videos. Having a micro SD card slot will be necessary for that. I find I fill up my nexus 7 faster than I thought I would. The nexus has slightly better build quality but not by much. I was surprised how nice the hisense is. I also like having the hdmi out on the hisense and the camera on the back is useful every once in awhile. I use my tablet for flash cards and studying so taking pictures of notes or chemical structures with the camera is helpful. So if I were you I would lean toward the hisense over the N7. It is just a little more versatile and also very affordable.

The main drawback to the hisense is that it isn't on the latest version of android and who know if/when it will be upgraded.

Noted via tapatalk

cripesy

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. I have 2012 Nexus 7 and two Memo Pad HD 7 tabs that my kids use.

I think the professional reviewers and various other posturers have been bending over backward to find fault with these cheaper tabs. Yes, the cheaper tablets definitely have a less nice feel to them, but the ergonomics are fine. These are significantly better than the hundred dollar China tabs floating around. Screens are good, touch response is good, app compatibility is great.

Re gaming - all three of these will ultimately have trouble playing intensive 3d games. Nonetheless there is a huge catalog of games worth playing that will play fine.

Performance wise, the difference between Tegra3 and the MediaTek in the HD 7 is negligible.You trade off slightly worse performance (check test scores in reviews - it is less than 10 percent on most tests, which you wouldn't notice in real life situations) for significantly better battery life under load (e.g. gaming and video streaming services).

Make sure whatever you buy you buy from a seller with a good return policy. There is always a chance you will get a defective unit or just don't like it no matter what you buy.

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for input. I've been looking at used N7's at Swappa, haven't seen one that just screamed "this is the one." Honestly, for me the Hisense should be a no-brainer, because the Mrs. works at Wally and as such I have one of those magic 10 percent discount cards to where we're talking $116.96 instead of $129.95. The thing is, the 16 gig internal memory in the ASUS is very attractive if I wanted to go with a new one. And as far as feel ... they're all plastic, and to me plastic is plastic, plus I keep my electronic gear in covers/cases anyway so that's what I'm going to be feeling, not the plastic.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Get the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. Well worth the amount, plus you get an extra discount since the Mrs works there? Win-win! 15$ insurance plan from Walmart helps a lot too!

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Hisense Sero Pro since I read about it here on Android Central.

Simply put I have absolutely no complaints to offer in all the time I've been using it. Memory, speed, connectivity have all be spot on.

Everyone's issue seems to be that it's not a name brand. Yes Samsung, and everyone else has tuned or skinned their tablets with lots of pizzazz, but the Hisense Pro is just about as pure Android (4.2.1) as it gets, and I love it. It has not disappointed me in any way. It's not the slimmest tablet out there but it has everything else you've listed as a prerequisite.

I recommend the Hisense Pro 7!

Posted via Android Central App

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually purchased the Nexus 7 the very first week they came out last year, I'd sold my BlackBerry Playbook because of the lack of apps. I really enjoyed using the Nexus, and always receiving new updates was awesome to me.

I recently traded the Nexus 7 for an Acer C7 Chromebook, which I love the heck out of, no longer consuming but able to be productive.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP, I really don't feel like chunking out the money for the 2013 Nexus 7, so after reading a blurp about the Hisense think I may purchase it this weekend.

The one thing I missed aout my Blackberry Playbook was a rear facing camera, don't care if it's nerdy, it's needed when you see something you wont to capture real quick while reading.

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the Sero 7 Pro! I bought one a little over a month ago and love it! I accidentally left it on a plane the other day and the dang thing was so cheap I just went and bought another! Love this tablet!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You know, I probably should've followed up on this, LOL! Bought the Sero 7 Pro and am loving it.

[quoted post deleted by moderator]

Mumdel

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I am looking at buying a tablet in this price range. I want to use it while travelling. Will I be able to transfer photos from my camera, do a bit of basic editing and then save them again onto a storage device (USB stick?) or upload them to web based storage?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! In order to transfer photos from your camera to the tablet, you'd probably need to use a microSD card with a fullsize SD card adapter in the camera. Then you could remove the microSD card and insert it into the tablet (as long as the tablet has a microSD card slot), then edit those photos on the tablet. Saving onto a USB stick depends on the device--some can access external USB drives using an OTG (On The Go) microUSB cable adapter, but not all. It's probably easiest to upload photos to cloud storage (of which there are many options, like Google+, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.).

The 2012 Nexus 7 has OTG compatibility for external USB drives, but doesn't have a microSD card slot. The Sero Pro and MeMO Pad HD7 do have a microSD card slot, but as far as I can tell, neither has OTG compatibility with USB drives.

You might be interested in this refurbished 8 GB Sero 7 Pro for $90 on eBay: Hisense Sero 7 Pro M470BSA NVIDIA Tegra 3 1GB Memory 8GB Flash 7 0" Touchscreen 854098003418 | eBay

Mumdel

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but if both the Hisense Sero Pro and the MeMO Pad have micro USB ports, if I had the relevant adapter (OTG?) why shouldn't you be able to use a USB stick?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The device still has to have the firmware capable of utilizing an OTG cable for USB drive access. From what I found on the web, this is still not possible on the Sero or the Memo Pad. I could be wrong--feel free to do a more in-depth search.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

rolf4golf

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
To view and save photos on my sero 7 I installed a 32 GB card in the sero then purchased an eye fi card for my camera and installed the eye fi app on the sero. I found this to be the easiest & best way to save photos. You can then edit, email, save, etc your photos.

Posted via Android Central App

kernmal

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The 2012 Nexus 7 has OTG compatibility for external USB drives, but doesn't have a microSD card slot. The Sero Pro and MeMO Pad HD7 do have a microSD card slot, but as far as I can tell, neither has OTG compatibility with USB drives.

From my personal experience, the Sero 7 Pro has the same OTG capability (and limitations) as the Nexus 7 ('12). Nexus Media Importer (or root/Stickmount) is required to move media off of a USB drive over to the S7. Mice and keyboards are supported out of the box.

The Memo Pad HD 7 does not support OTG.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress