If I run battery to empty Nexus 7 won't start up (after charge) unless I connect to computer

Dylan Boudreau

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
As the title says if I use my nexus 7 tablet until the battery runs dead then plug it in and charge it I can't get it to turn back on unless I connect it to a computer. As soon as I connect it to a computer and push the power button it powers up normally and works without issue. Once I get past that the power button works fine as do the volume buttons but for the life of me I can't figure out why I need to connect it to a computer for it to start after I run it empty so any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: If I run battery to empty nexus 7 won't start up (after charge) unless I connect to computer

Welcome to Android Central! I'm afraid I don't have a concrete answer for you, but I would say that in general, it's best to avoid running your device all the way down until it shuts off on its own due to low battery. Completely discharging a Li ion battery is a good way to damage it irreversibly, and although I know that all devices should automaticaly shut down well before you get to zero, there's still risk, since you might not plug the device in promptly to recharge.

One thing I would check is to make sure your charging block still works. Will the tablet charge up when plugged into the wall at other times when the battery isn't really low?

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: If I run battery to empty nexus 7 won't start up (after charge) unless I connect to computer

I know when I've let my battery go completely dead I have to hold the power button on for much longer than usual for the initial boot up. It may just be you're not holding the button long enough.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

red.foxx15

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

are you using the original charger block and cable that came with the nexus 7? ive had similar issues due to trying to use my nexus 4 charger when i ignored my 7's battery indicator

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

I know when I've let my battery go completely dead I have to hold the power button on for much longer than usual for the initial boot up. It may just be you're not holding the button long enough.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I found this as well. I also found it seemed to take awhile for the charging to start.

Dylan Boudreau

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

are you using the original charger block and cable that came with the nexus 7? ive had similar issues due to trying to use my nexus 4 charger when i ignored my 7's battery indicator
Hi, yes I'm using the original charger block and cable. Seems to charge without issue even when it won't power on. When I do get around to connecting it to a computer to start up after a dead battery it reports that it is fully charged so that seems to happen even when the device won't boot.

It's a very odd problem and I'd love to know the reason for it as now I can't travel without a computer in case the battery runs dead while travelling which on a cross continent trip happens just about every time.

Oh and I've held the power button down for upwards of a minute and still doesn't come on but connect to a computer and it powers on in only a few seconds.

Dylan Boudreau

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Guess I'm the only one that has had this problem :(...was really hoping someone else would have seen this as I'm at a total loss as to how to fix. I've tried really hard to not let the battery go dead but still happens sometimes, particularly if I use it before bed when the battery is already down.

f10w3r5

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same issue except mine won't boot at all.. I let mine run all the way down, charged it, and now it's stuck on the little splashy X thing. Won't get by it. Grr....

Stew Craig

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Actually people, its an easy fix (once you know how), connect to mains power then just press both the power button and the volume increase button at the same time and keep pressing till Google appears on screen. It's just a glitch that can happen if you leave the Nexus 7 idle for a long period of time, or if you let the battery run down completely. I hope that helps!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Guess I'm the only one that has had this problem :(...was really hoping someone else would have seen this as I'm at a total loss as to how to fix. I've tried really hard to not let the battery go dead but still happens sometimes, particularly if I use it before bed when the battery is already down.

Don't let the battery go completely dead on any modern devices. I understand you are away from a charger sometimes but you can still shut down the device at 10-15 percent until you are able to charge.

It's not a problem or a defect, just don't run it all the way down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Netsirkf

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

I have a slightly different battery issue, after charging on a third party charger overnight, my 1st gen nexus 7 flashed the on screen battery empty signal the next morning. It only showed a couple of times before the device died completely and has showed a black screen ever since. I've tried every combination of holding the power and volume buttons, as well as plugging it into the official charger and a computer, I'm getting no response from the unit. I've checked the battery connection and it's fine, even disconnected it and left it off a bit to see if that prompted a restart.

Replacement batteries are way expensive for a unit that now retails at ?99 so I'm really not sure it's worth going that route, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Tom Wozniak

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Google's help center offers that you can backdoor the boot by pressing 'volume down' and then holding the 'power' button for 10-15 seconds.
My wife let hers sit in a computer case for months and it is now taking a long while to charge.
This is the link to google's help & solution: https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/3337561?hl=en#ts=3337942,3339328

Khanitez

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Stew Craig.

Your advice worked for me. Not sure why it died as my battery was at 97%

Sasha Edwards

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
HELP! I have unfortunately let my Nexus 7 die a few times due to neglect. It is fully charged and yet I can't seem to get it to turn on completely, it seems to get stuck on the screen after the Google screen...I'm extremely frustrated. I've tried EVERYTHING that I've read to try and yet no results. Super bummed. Any new tips I could try?!

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty