4.3 Broke Something?

DJC631

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So this morning I tried to install 4.3 on my new referb stock 2012 Nexus 7, but after it went through the normal install screen I got an error. After restart now it just goes to the Nexus X screen and stays there forever.
When I try to get into recovery I get No Command, and any attempt to restart in anything besides the bootloader goes right back to the Nexus X.
When connected to my computer by USB, Android File Transfer can't connect to the device, and it does not show up in Finder at all.
Did I brick it?

Anyone know something I might can do to fix this thing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That makes me wonder if your refurbished Nexus 7 was previously rooted, or possibly faulty to begin with. Can you bring it back to wherever you bought it and ask for an exchange or refund?

Imacellist

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok so ignore B. Diddy. Rooting and returning to stock does NOT damage your device. Your recovery is missing/damaged and needs to be replaced. Can you detect the device using adb or fastboot? What you need to do is download the factory image from Google for your device and flash that via adb. There are also toolkits out there to help you as well. You can find that here [Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT V5.0.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE - xda-developers. If the device booted and worked properly before you tried to update, then your device is fine, something just went wrong with the upgrade process. I'll check back here a little later so post any questions you may have. You seem to be using os X which I don't have much experience with, but I'll help as much as I can.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so ignore B. Diddy. Rooting and returning to stock does NOT damage your device. Your recovery is missing/damaged and needs to be replaced. Can you detect the device using adb or fastboot? What you need to do is download the factory image from Google for your device and flash that via adb. There are also toolkits out there to help you as well. You can find that here [Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT V5.0.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE - xda-developers. If the device booted and worked properly before you tried to update, then your device is fine, something just went wrong with the upgrade process. I'll check back here a little later so post any questions you may have. You seem to be using os X which I don't have much experience with, but I'll help as much as I can.

I think you're right, he needs to flash the factory images. BUT, telling someone to ignore other sound advice isn't a very nice thing to do.

You could/should have asked if they have all of the drivers properly set up on OSX, too, just to make sure that's not an issue.

Imacellist

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right, he needs to flash the factory images. BUT, telling someone to ignore other sound advice isn't a very nice thing to do.

You could/should have asked if they have all of the drivers properly set up on OSX, too, just to make sure that's not an issue.

I normally don't but since the advice was not based off anything that is what prompted it. Rooting an android device does not ever effect hardware, especially a nexus device since Google is completely OK with you doing so. Anyways, also double check drivers and see if you can manually install them as well like Kevin said. I have issues with adb sometimes because of driver issues. If you have another computer available try that as well. Let me know if you don't understand any part of what I said here. I'm happy to explain further.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I normally don't but since the advice was not based off anything that is what prompted it. Rooting an android device does not ever effect hardware, especially a nexus device since Google is completely OK with you doing so. Anyways, also double check drivers and see if you can manually install them as well like Kevin said. I have issues with adb sometimes because of driver issues. If you have another computer available try that as well. Let me know if you don't understand any part of what I said here. I'm happy to explain further.

There are definitely other, nicer ways, to go about saying that. Maybe just offer your advice on top of the previous advice. Exchanging a malfunctioning device isn't bad advice, if it's an option. It's just not the only option in this case.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Really B. Diddy's advice wasn't far off. It wouldn't be the first time a refurb device was previously rooted and not caught and restored to factory stock during the refurb process by the carrier/OEM.

I probably would have recommended the same thing.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since a bootloop is software related, and if the device was rooted improperly, that could explain the issue.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I normally don't but since the advice was not based off anything that is what prompted it.

Hey, no worries, but it's not that the advice was completely "not based off anything." I may not be a trained tech expert, but in these situations, I tend to base my advice off the experience I've had reading and learning from other people's experiences on this forum. My main point was that if it was a refurb, it might have been tinkered with and messed up (sorry for my technical jargon there;)) in some way that prevented the OP from successfully updating. If it were me, and if I had only purchased it a few days ago, I'd just consider an exchange or refund.

But you certainly seem to know what you're talking about, so your advice is appreciated--hopefully, it'll help the OP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez