Nexus 7 (2012) stuck in "no command" bootloop

peste386

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
This morning I received the 4.4 OTA update notification on my wife's tablet. It's unlocked, rooted, and has custom recovery (TWRP). I had used Nexus Root Toolkit to get it into this state. Without thinking I went ahead and clicked update. Now my tablet is stuck in a boot loop that just keeps bringing me back into recovery. By the responses so far in this thread it seems the only option is the "flash stock" button in the Nexus Root Toolkit. Does anybody have any advice on how I can recover the data off the tablet first? Or better yet, attempt to manually install the update again? Barring that, anybody know a good couples counselor?

DaVoodoo

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I was the same with Nexus 4 but Nexus Toolkit fixed it even though I lost all my data, Play Store is slowly restoring all my apps tho
I also managed to fix my Nexus 7 2012 Wifi using Wug's Nexus Toolkit. ( I assume this toolkit will work with Nexus 4,7 and 10 as it is a unified toolkit.) NB: As you will flash stock you will loose all your apps and settings. At least it is better than being stuck with the "No Command" screen.

1. Download and install Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8 | WugFresh
2.. Connect to PC and Boot in Fastboot Mode: VOL DOWN + POWER ON
3. In the toolkit, under "Back to stock" tick "Soft-Bricked/Bootloop"
4. Click "Flash Stock + Unroot"
5. When done you will have a working Nexus again. I thought I was going back to stock and would have to install 4.4. But ended up with 4.4. . :D

I hope this helps someone else.

DaVoodoo

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Nexus toolkit doesn't do any good though when your nexus 7 is stuck in system recovery, you are not rooted and you haven't installed the drivers and used nexus toolkit with your nexus 7 prior to getting stuck in the no command bootloop.
The Toolkit works as it uses FastBoot mode when you Tick "Soft-Bricked/Bootloop". You thus do not have to install all the other drivers or have debug mode activated.

peste386

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
OK, I fixed mine without losing any data by following the instructions below, copied from here.
EDIT: To clarify, I have a 2012 wifi so used JWR66Y factory image and then used ADB sideload to install the kitkat zip update which I found on this page. link

-----------
I was in the same situation and ran into that issue as well. What I did was download the 4.3 factory image from here: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=vi

Make sure you get the correct one for your device. I have a 2013 wifi so I chose: Android 4.3 (JSS15R)

Inside that downloaded file, you'll find image-razor-jss15r.zip. It's a couple of levels down. Unzip the files from there to your SDK folder (should be boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img).

Boot your Nexus 7 to the bootloader (volume down + power) and connect to your PC with USB cable. Do NOT go into Recovery mode yet.

From the command prompt, make sure you can see your device: fastboot devices

Then, run the following commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash system system.img

At this point you have a clean install of 4.3 JSS15R.

Now go to Recovery mode and sideload the 4.4 OTA as you originally tried and it should work this time.

I followed these steps and was able to update to 4.4 without losing any data. YMMV

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
HELP: When I'm in Recovery mode connected to my computers, It keeps saying "Installing drivers" yet tells me it's unsuccessful. When it's bootlooping (not innbrik ADB/Recovery Mode) it IS seen by my computer and drivers "install" properly. But the second I put it into Recovery ADB and WUGfresh keep saying it's not connected!!

It keeps saying "Foun New Hardware" and tries to installl drivers but never fin "drivers" and then tells me the evice failed to instal properly. No programs see my Nexus 7 so I cant sideload or unbrick my device because of this! OMG!

Please help me? Google completely f*cked a perfectly working N7 with their own OTA!!! HELP?

peste386

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
HELP: When I'm in Recovery mode connected to my computers, It keeps saying "Installing drivers" yet tells me it's unsuccessful. When it's bootlooping (not in ADB/Recovery Mode) it IS seen by my computer and drivers "install" properly. But the second I put it into Recovery ADB and WUGfresh keep saying it's not connected!!

Please help me? Google completely f*cked a perfectly working N7 with their own OTA!!! HELP?
Install Nexus Root Toolkit and then click the Full Driver Configuration, skip to Step 2 since you won't be able to complete Step 1 and then install the recommended driver.

gregoso

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
OK, I fixed mine without losing any data by following the instructions below, copied from here.
EDIT: To clarify, I have a 2012 wifi so used JWR66Y factory image and then used ADB sideload to install the kitkat zip update which I found on this page. link

-----------
I was in the same situation and ran into that issue as well. What I did was download the 4.3 factory image from here: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=vi

Make sure you get the correct one for your device. I have a 2013 wifi so I chose: Android 4.3 (JSS15R)

Inside that downloaded file, you'll find image-razor-jss15r.zip. It's a couple of levels down. Unzip the files from there to your SDK folder (should be boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img).

Boot your Nexus 7 to the bootloader (volume down + power) and connect to your PC with USB cable. Do NOT go into Recovery mode yet.

fastboot erase system

Now go to Recovery mode and sideload the 4.4 OTA as you originally tried and it should work this time.

I followed these steps and was able to update to 4.4 without losing any data. YMMV

THIS! Internet hugs to you. You saved all my data. Had some video of the kids that I wouldn't be able to replace that I haven't transferred yet. Google has been useless in terms of offering help.

THank you!!

buttcoco

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I also managed to fix my Nexus 7 2012 Wifi using Wug's Nexus Toolkit. ( I assume this toolkit will work with Nexus 4,7 and 10 as it is a unified toolkit.) NB: As you will flash stock you will loose all your apps and settings. At least it is better than being stuck with the "No Command" screen.

1. Download and install Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8 | WugFresh
5. When done you will have a working Nexus again. I thought I was going back to stock and would have to install 4.4. But ended up with 4.4. . :D

I did exactly this after the "no command" loop kept on looping on my nx7 wifi. Now its back to working again with 4.4

joanne w

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I take it all back.it! it seems to have worked!!
first of all I was struggling with drivers, but I allowed windows to fix this.

Then I hadn't unlocked the bootloader, which you can do with the toolkit. once I had done this it seems that it worked. it's certainly back on now.
I've lost all my data anyway as I had already tried a factory reset.
fingers crossed it stays working

Thank you andrid forum. I can go to bed now! (4:45 am)

saygak

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
How did you manage to get throuh windows driver quest? I still can't pass full driver test.
I tried to install Univeral drivers, Signed drivers, PDA Drivers..
And I cannot set USB connection on device to "USB Debugging" since I cannot load any further boot loader and get error

Updated: installed all drivers, didn't pass the test, however Soft-Bricked/Bootloop passed this time with no problems. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

DrkBishop

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Got the same problem with my Nexus 7, did the OTA update last night , it rebooted, started applying update, and the just got the dead android with 'Error' then it restarted itself, and stuck in the 'no command' boot loop.
I phoned google this morning, and they are sending me a replacement.

banmai888

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

fastboot erase system

It doesn't work! cmd says unknown partition boot.img.
Plz, show me how

Jesse Stevens1

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

-----------

fastboot erase system

THIS! Internet hugs to you. You saved all my data. Had some video of the kids that I wouldn't be able to replace that I haven't transferred yet. Google has been useless in terms of offering help.

THank you!!

I tried this.... unfortunately it didnt work. I installed drivers and the toolkit recognizes fastboot. But as soon as I initiate the extraction and push. The very first command fails. Clear cache fail. and every command after that fails as well. Is this a driver issue? I am no command bootloop after the OTA update. Nexus 7 2012 wifi version. Any help would be appreciated.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This worked for me but will lose all data, passwords, email accounts, etc. Also will have to re-root if you want that.

DarkShadowAy

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

-----------

fastboot erase system

Just joined to say thanks bro! Saved my data and I'm back on 4.3!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance