[GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If any device starts to behave oddly or slowly, there's a decent chance that wiping the system cache partition can help. The system cache partition is a storage area for system data such as logfiles, frequently accessed app data that has been temporarily cached there, and downloaded apk installer files from Google Play. Over time, this temporary data can build up and potentially contribute to system slowdowns or even misbehavior. Clearing this cache partition can potentially help, and should never be harmful, because no personal data will be lost.

[NOTE]The system cache partition is different from individual app caches that can be cleared in the Settings/Apps menu, or by using apps like App Cache Cleaner. Clearing the individual app caches can free up storage memory, but won't necessary address any system issues.[/NOTE]
In order to wipe the cache partition, you need to access the device's Recovery Menu. Many devices allow you to access the stock Recovery Menu by executing a certain pattern of button presses, but certain devices lock you out of the Recovery Menu. You can get around this by installing a custom recovery, but that's beyond the scope of my experience. Trying to find out how to access the Recovery Menu for a given device can sometimes be frustrating, even with a Google search. You may need to use search terms like recovery, cache partition, or reset, along with the name of your device.

The steps for accessing the Recovery Menu on the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 can be found here (https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2668187?hl=en), but the directions are specifically for a Hard Reset (i.e., a complete device wipe). The following instructions are a slight modification, in order to wipe the cache partition. Apologies for the suboptimal picture quality--you can't take screenshots in the Recovery Menu, and I don't have a professional setup to take photos of a screen!

1. Power the tablet down.

2. Now press and hold Power. As soon as you see the Google logo appear, immediately press and hold Vol Down (while still holding Power).

3. Keep holding Power and Vol Down until you see this screen:

DSCN0441.jpg

4. Use the Volume keys to select Recovery (press Vol Down twice), and then press Power.

DSCN0442.jpg

5. You'll see the Google logo appear for about 5-10 seconds, then our little friend will show up looking a little piqued.

DSCN0434.jpg

6. While pressing and holding Power, press the Vol Up button, then release both buttons. You don't have to hold either button down for very long. The Recovery Menu will now appear:

DSCN0444.jpg

7. Once again, use the Volume buttons to move the cursor up or down. Press Vol Down 3 times to highlight "wipe cache partition," then press Power to execute.

DSCN0445.jpg

8. You'll see some notifications about the progress at the bottom of the screen--it shouldn't take any longer than 10 seconds or so to complete. When done, the Recovery Menu will appear again, with "reboot system now" already highlighted.

DSCN0446.jpg

9. Press the Power button, and your Nexus 7 will reboot, hopefully with a little faster and smoother performance!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got it. At step 6 I was holding the volume up. Should have just clicked it. Thank you.

Yes, that's the trickiest part. Press and hold Power, then while holding Power, press Volume Up and hold for only about half a second or less. When you release, the menu appears.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I would assume that the hard reset would also have wiped the cache partition.

writedoc

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The only way I could get this to work on my Nexus 7 & LTE (2013):

1. Power down
  2. Press and hold Power and Volume Up buttons until got dead Android icon
  3. Press Power button and then Volume Up button and then released both
  4. View menu with wipe cache partition item
Still works same way on Android 5.1.1

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
If I have applied mods using xposed framework, will this affect them?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question--I don't have the technical expertise to answer it, though. My guess is no, since the cache partition should only contain temporary data.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone had their N7 get really sluggish and slow, done this, did not loose anything and notice an improvement afterwards?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 has never really bogged down. I've noticed cache partition wipes correct problems on my Razr Maxx, though.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I know this op is about wiping the cache, but (IMHO) I've reduced lag and improved performance by flashing Smooth ROM and Motley Kernel (M-Kernel). First rom I've ever flashed, and it has made a noticeable difference in the performance of my aging 2012 nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should, although the Google support page has a slightly different button-press sequence at the beginning (which I think might also work on the N7). Afterwards, it's the same procedure. Here's the support page--if you're going to follow those steps, just make sure you select wipe cache partition, and NOT wipe data/factory reset.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2935993?hl=en

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 7 state to get really laggy, and I tried clearing both the cache and davlik cache... that didn't work.

But in the process, I noticed that the system partition itself was nearly full.. I even went as far as a factory reset. But a factory reset leaves the system stuff alone, so I didn't get much relief.

Long story short, I unlocked, rooted, and loaded a custom ROM and recovery (i have titanium backup premium, so I saved all her apps and data). TWRP, PA 4 B4, with the pa gapps 'mini'... system partition is now at 200 mb free and the 7 is back to its peppy, responsive self again.

They only gave about 680mb for that partition... and it apparently doesn't like to be filled. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty impressed LeoRex. You certainly know your way around the Tablet. Of course, I am aware that you aren't the only one. What I was wondering was whether you could "fix" an app? I mean, suppose an app that you like developed a bug after a recent update by the developer. Could you isolate it, study it and rewrite the code so that it worked properly again? I'm sorry if I over simplified the task because of my ignorance. But I think you understand the basic question. I'm just wondering whether someone who is very knowledgeable is at the mercy of the app developers like the rest of us. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance