[GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

timq

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I can get the menu up and press recovery mode, but the android with the exclamation mark doesn't appear. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

dd_uk

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You put your left arm in, your left arm out.......
Its like joining the Freemasons. The most complicated procedure for what should be a simple routine.
I HATE GOOGLE. Trouble is I hate windows rt even more. Is it any wonder that iPads sell so well?

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I get to the screen with the dead android, but no further. I've tried a dozen times and after the dead guy lays there for a while, my N7 2013 just turns itself back on. No cache partition takes place. It completely skips that, even though I've followed directions to a T. This is insane!

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
This will probably not help, but here are instructions for a cache partition wipe on a Nexus 5 phone. I literally just did it and it works. I got them from T-Mobile tech support.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
Back up all necessary data that is on the internal memory.
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
While holding down the Power key, tap the Volume Up key.
The Android System Recovery screen will appear. Release all keys.
Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe data cache partition and press the Power key to select.
Wait for the wipe and formatting to take place (a few minutes) and the Android System Recovery screen will reappear.
Use the Power key to select reboot system now.
The phone will restart.

Greg

billl839

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
The first time I did this followed a major os update that wrecked my android. Supposed to upgrade me to a nexus 10 or something. It was very slow and crashed all the time. Clear casche seemed to make it better, but was never quite the same but I didn't loose any info. Now, another update. I hope it works again.

flicker0x7

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
My performance on my Nexus 7 sadly went down after installing 5.0... and while this does seem to do the trick, it often only works temporarily :(

Somnang

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I am able to process step 6, however i can't clear the cache or reset the data on my 2013 nexus 7. Is there any solution to this?

SonDan

Jan 27, 2011
oldschoolmusiclover.com
My wife's 7 state to get really laggy, and I tried clearing both the cache and davlik cache... that didn't work.

But in the process, I noticed that the system partition itself was nearly full.. I even went as far as a factory reset. But a factory reset leaves the system stuff alone, so I didn't get much relief.

Long story short, I unlocked, rooted, and loaded a custom ROM and recovery (i have titanium backup premium, so I saved all her apps and data). TWRP, PA 4 B4, with the pa gapps 'mini'... system partition is now at 200 mb free and the 7 is back to its peppy, responsive self again.

They only gave about 680mb for that partition... and it apparently doesn't like to be filled. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fantastic guide and very clearly written My nexus 7 (2012) ground to a halt since receiving Lollipop. After running cache partition wipe from this guide and also used an app partition wipe and my tablet is back in normal operation. Thanks very much for this,it's a shame that the Lollipop installation process didn't include a cache partition wipe as part of it's installation by default to save others the pain of a sluggish tablet.

The cache partition wipe did not help me Graeme. What app partition wipe did you do that helped bring your Nexus 2012 back to life.?

Sent from my Moto XT1060 using Tapatalk Pro

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for this tutorial. My N7 2012 had slowed to a snail's pace but after doing this procedure everything is working much faster! Previously I could hardly use Words With Friends and other apps because they had become soooo slow. Then last night, whenever I tried to access my photos I kept getting a "Google Photo" sign-up screen which I couldn't get rid of, lost access to my photos, and also lost my home screen's Google icon. All of that is fixed now after doing the CP Wipe. It's great to have my N7 1st gen. running like it was new again. :)
Thanks again,
Jim
P.S. I'm currently using it with the 5.1.1 Lollipop version, so those who have complaints with the new Lollipop upgrade should definitely try this CP Wipe.

Last edited:

vteam_hendricks

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried the first few steps, but when i tried to select recovery mode, it just sent me back to the google boot up screen and stayed there. never went to the little guy with the exclamation mark above him.

thisisgulshan

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Good post.
Same steps works for Asus zenfone's also.
onlinesurprises(dot)com/2015/10/how-to-put-google-nexus-7-or-asus-zenfone-in-recovery-mode-and-wipeclear-system-cache-partition/

Derfs Nexus 7

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks to B.Diddy. Your step-by-step guide to wiping system cache partition is excellent. I followed it and the Nexus 7 is now restored to health. Problems have all gone away.
again, Thank you.

Robert Stephen

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions ! Whereas my Nexus 7 is in any respect better than my flashier and more expensive IPad Air, this cleaning cache business might have been a bit more ammm , intuitive, with a menu shortcut or something. As it is it's as stupidly designed as can be.

Talley212

Feb 13, 2018
Visit site
What step is not working correctly for you?

Well it's 2018 and yes I'm still using my Nexus 2012 it worked great until about 2 weeks ago. Then the Google weird started staying in the screen all the time. For awhile I was able to cut our on and off and it would fix it. No longer the case. When I hit power and volume down and get to the screen with the little green man, options become available recovery, start etc whatever option I select it just turns off and goes back to the Google word returning to the screen. Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfoot715