Nexus 7 not recognized by computer

ReechWFC

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I found this solution to the above problem. I too was perplexed with this USB connectivity issue with my Nexus 7 2...
This method is so simple, but it seems very elusive:

Check the USB settings on the Nexus 7
- Open the Nexus Settings App
- Select Storage (It should show space used by programs, media, etc)
- Open the menu (the 3 dot icon - in upper right corner on my model)
- Select USB Computer Connection
- Make sure the Media Device (MTP) is check marked by touching the check box
This makes the Nexus 7 look like a drive when connected via USB

You can now try connecting the Nexus 7 to the computer via the USB cable.

this worked for me, thanks very much

flicker0x7

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I found this solution to the above problem. I too was perplexed with this USB connectivity issue with my Nexus 7 2...

Thanks, this seems to do the trick.

AmbientApps

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for this quick tutorial.

jayfdee

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes that worked , thanks. I have had this problem before after an android update, but forgot how to fix. Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.

janolle

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 not recognized by computer in MTP mode

My Nexus 7 does not work with USB in MTP mode. Change the setting to PIP (camera) it works.

In the device table (devices and printer) my Nexus show a picture locks like a power on/off AC device in MTP mode.
In PIP mode a see a camera.
I have tried to reinstall drivers but the PC says that latest driver already is installed.
Please advice!

davo2

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me - locate Acer Device ADB in Device Manager - properties uninstall device. Unplug, replug, allow it to reinstall.

Thanks for this advice

ZKC

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU!!! This worked perfectly after trying all sorts! :)

Go to Acer Device ADB in Device Manager. Right click. Go to Properties. Uninstall. Unplug tablet. Plug tablet back in and there you should have it!! :)

awesome wizard

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Go to device Manager.
When all devices are displayed, Plug in the Nexus 7.
When You see the device Pop up in the list, right click it and Uninstall it.
Reconnect device, wait for the drivers to auto detect and install then everything should be fine.
Open up My Computer, reconnect Nexus and it should now appear in the devices and drives.
I believe this May be a windows 10 issue but I'm not 100% on that.
I hope this helps.
Bye for now.

mkdrive2

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I have the exact same problem. I also have the old Nexus 7 (2012). My problem is not dependent on the OS of my computer. I tried both with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.

What I noticed, though, is that my Nexus 7 is recognized when I start up fastboot mode, but once I go to recovery mode or start up Android OS all my computers don't recognize Nexus 7 anymore. Please tell me what I can do to fix this!

WarningU2

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been pulling my hair out on this one for several days. My Nexus 7 was working fine swiping it into MTP mode on Windows 10 x64 but then without any reason apparent to me, one morning said a malfunction had occurred and Windows 10 wouldn't recognize it. I tried all the steps that are listed here on this forum and many other forums with likely 1000's of people experiencing this issue.

I thought I'd share my last effort that was successful.

1) I tried removing the device from Windows 10 devices and printers, thinking it would reinstall. It failed on the same error.
2) I found the entry in device manager under USB controllers and removed it.
3) Failed again
4) I downloaded USB drivers usb_driver_r06_windows.zip (can't post the link)
5) Tried it again and it failed. ARRRHHHHGGGGHH!!
6) From device manager I showed hidden items and uninstalled all failed installations ... there were lots. I rebooted Windows without issue.
7) Then to avoid stressing out further I powered off my Nexus 7 and put it in a draw and forgot about it.
8) I decided this morning to try again. I plugged it into the same port with the same cable that had failed. I then turned on the Nexus 7 ( it had been powered off 5 days). Within 10 seconds ... Windows 10 told me that it was installing a device ... this is new.
9) Voila ... it was installed. No error. I swiped MTP for file transfer again and I am able to access my Nexus 7 again as per normal.

I can only presume that the USB driver /installation somehow became corrupted but I think the actual cold start after waiting for a period of time with new USB drivers forced the install again or my cleaning up all the old USB installs got rid of the corruption. I have no idea. But I thought I would share my experience in the event it may help someone else. The key is to be patient and forget about it a while it would seem.

MidgeMum

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site

I was having the same problem. Windows 7 was showing error message for unknown device regardless of what I did and there wasn't an icon to interact with in Device Manager but your solution worked. Thank you, saved me hours of needlessly updating drivers, etc.

Last edited:

marknmd

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I tried a number of solutions here but none worked. I finally found the solution in the Help area of the device itself! The problem on mine is it only recognized the usb as a charging device and nothing else. To solve:

Power up Nexus 7.

Plug device via USB into Windows PC

Swipe from top of screen down. A menu should pop up with several options including "USB for...". Tap it.

Another menu regarding use for the USB should open up with several options. Tap "File Transfers" (MTP) to choose that option.

A window should now automatically open up on your Windows PC allowing you access to the files on your Nexus 7.

usraptr

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
What do you do if your tablet is stuck in rebootloop and you can't access it's settings? BTW, I've tried all the ways to get it out of rebootloop and nothing works. I was trying to connect it to the computer in hopes of fixing the problem but the computer doesn't recognize it??

jreneberg

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey,
I'm new here and I made an account just to try to get help with my Nexus 7 2012.
Im having a problem with being able to connect it to my computer.
I plug it in with a USB cable and I get nothing, however the tablet starts charging. Nothing gets recognized by the computer or the tablet.
I've tried all the suggestions here on this forum and many others, but they all require there being an 'Android Device' or such in the device manager.
Ive even tried replacing the USB on the tablet, but that didnt help.

Tablet is running 5.1.1
Computer is running Windows 10

Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress