Why does my first generation Nexus 7 run so very slowly?

pipkato

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
(apologies - I double posted this by mistake - before I found this forum)

My first generation Nexus 7 (Model ME370T) running Android 5.1.1 runs unbelievably slowly and I can’t find out what’s causing it.

It can take ten minutes or more to start up. Today I had 69 apps that needed updating and that took about 6 hours over WiFi. I have a strong WiFi connection and my download speeds are pretty good - around 240 Mb/s wired and around 40+ Mb/s wireless.

I bought this a a reconditioned item about a year ago, to run a specific app with my Canon DSLR. I’m mostly a Mac user so Android is a foreign country to me. But I understand that this is a fast little tablet so I’m all the more puzzled by the issue. I have tried a newer Android phone with the same applications and it’s very fast at updating apps and running generally on my home WiFi network.

My Nexus 7 has around 19 GB of storage available out of a total of 28.17 GB total.

Can anyone please suggest some way to benchmark my Nexus 7 so that I can try to identify if it’s some kind of settings issue or maybe a fundamental hardware problem?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I havo no answer for you. I got tired of my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 running slow on 5.1.1 so I downgraded both to 4.4.4. They are super fast on KitKat now.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I havo no answer for you. I got tired of my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 running slow on 5.1.1 so I downgraded both to 4.4.4. They are super fast on KitKat now.

Exactly what I came here for. I think I give up too. I got this tablet from my Dad who just doesn't use it anymore. It was running 4.4.4 and was still great. I wiped it, so there was ZERO anything extra installed. Still ran great. Then I let it upgrade multiple times, I think it went from 4.4.4 to 5, 5 to 5.1, 5.1 to 5.1.1... Right from the moment it booted with 5 it was already running slower than it was when it was on 4.4.4 with lots of apps installed. By the time it got to 5.1.1 it was a completely unusable mess.

So I'll go look for a sticky but I'm hoping its a pretty easy process to downgrade?

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Pipkato, in my opinion it's a fundamental hardware issue, namely the bad RAM modules they used to get the 2012 version to meet a desired price point. They work initially but degrade over time. Used/"refurbished "/hand-me-down 2012s are a waste of time. If you need a cheap Android tablet to run one app, consider the $50 ($35 on Black Friday) Amazon Fire 7. Google for instructions on how to install the Google Play Store on it (pretty easy). Only caveat would be if screen quality is important for the app, this might not be the one for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I really would love to root my N7 (2012) to Kit Kat!
Any advice please let me know the best way. If I could speed it up I would give it to my kids in a heartbeat and not but a junky Kindle Fire

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I really would love to root my N7 (2012) to Kit Kat!
Any advice please let me know the best way. If I could speed it up I would give it to my kids in a heartbeat and not but a junky Kindle Fire

Nexus toolkit will downgrade and then root for you. It's easy and downloads everything it needs and then runs everything automatically. You can't mess it up.

pipkato

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
An update on my Nexus sluggishness problem. I tried clearing the cache without any improvement. Then I bit the bullet and did a 'Factory Reset' and reinstalled all my original apps. The Nexus is now much snappier, boots quicker and generally seems close to what it was when I first got it a couple of years ago. I've no idea what the 'Factory Reset' did to make this difference but there you are.

RecklessFable

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've done the factory reset with only limited benefit. Sure it was better, but it still isn't "good". I keep [pulling out my phone for web browsing and my Nexus 7 2012 is basically just an eReader now (and even Kindle is a little slow)

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Definitely flash 4.4.4 kitkat on it again. My N7 2012 was so slow on 5.0.2 and could only be used for reading magazines just barely. Last night I flashed 4.4.4 from Google's site and it feels new again. It's so fast and I can actually open multiple apps now, use Chrome, and do other stuff again.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had lollipop with a fresh install and it was way to slow. Went with omnirom 4.4.4 and it was great. Then tried lollipop 5.1.1 with omnirom and it actually runs really awesome on the omni version of lollipop vs the stock version for some reason. Leaving it this way and no issues now.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
removing all widgets and keeping the recent apps cleared seems to have made a difference for me.

Might be a bit late for some, but this is what has made my 2012 N7 on 5.1.1 usable again.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Where can i get the Nexus Tool Kit or is it called the Nexus Root Toolkit? I'm new to this...Never rooted or anything like this before but luv this tablet. Lolipop crippled my tablet. Stopped using it.:(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress