Review after a few days in.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
rsz_flip.jpg
After a couple of days with this phone, I can say that I’ve FLIPPED for it.

In no particular order:
-the side fingerprint scanner is brilliant because you can use it in almost any way that the phone is lying or positioned. I do think it’s partial to right-handed people thou as it’s on the right side.
-I leave my Flip open many times like a regular phone and only close it to pocket it and leave. Or when I’m at work and need to focus on work, I fold it and put it in my pocket. I used to put my Note in my desk drawer to forget about it and focus. But then, you open the drawer for a file you need and Boom..I wonder if I have any news alerts or texts from Ronnie.
-I’m in love with the yellow dot on the front screen. It lets me know when there is a notification to scroll over to see. Take it out of my pocket (if I remember now that I even have a cell phone since I don’t have the weight of a ferret bobbing around in my pocket as a reminder) and if there’s a dot, scroll over to the left on the screen and read. No need to open. If it’s Rob again about his shoes, it just goes back in my pocket because that can wait.
Some have seen it in my hands and after they’ve caught their breath they say that the front display is the same as most fancy-schmancy watches now. I’ve no idea there. My watch is content being dumb. But if there's a text from my wife that the yellow dot yelled about, I better open that.
-I turned the refresh rate back to normal. It’s fine and it saves battery. I think we are so accustomed to looking for the fastest and most furious that we’re spending more time now grading and comparing and reviewing the phone itself nowadays that we aren’t actually READING what we’re scrolling thru.
-I did turn the battery-saver thing on and it charges up to 85 percent. It most def needs a top-off during the day but charges quickly for me.
-It’s not a ‘fast charging’ phone but I plugged it into my USBC cable and it went from 15 to 30 percent in around 15 minutes. That’s fine for me. Nasa hasn’t asked if I’d hurry up and charge my Zflip 3 to remote launch of the next Space X module.
-People comment on the crease some. But honestly, it just doesn’t bother me. Especially when I see them scrolling news on their oblong black dinners plate then struggle juggling it with all their other accouterments for their day. I just fold my creasy phone in half and drop in my pants pocket and whistle and walk away. Their phones look so ginormous now. Bless their hearts.
-Pictures...I’m not concerned. It’s 12 megapixels and it’s nowhere as good as my Note 10+ for close shots. But... It’s fine. Nobody is yet to pay me to shoot Willie Nelson in a night concert with my cell phone.
This phone is fun. This phone is NOT perfect. By any means. This phone is NOT for gamers. This phone is NOT for people who want to balance their checking account, have live video with Rob about his new green shoes and order sushi from Waitr all at the same time. That’s a Fold. It’s bigger, better, bolder. This isn’t that. That’s a tablet. I have a tablet already. This phone is not for people that plan to get a full charge and roam into the outback miles from a charger and do picture-research on tree frogs with red eyes. The battery will run down. It’s just smaller. Using it a lot/taking tons of pix and videos (256 is your max storage anyway)/GPS/superfast sexy scrolling/lights up..these things are gonna suck battery life and you’ll see the rare purple frog with green eyes but Flip has already died on you when you got out of the landrover.
-Some nopes: the right way to quickly take a selfie on the front screen and screenshot. Also, I know the screenshot method of holding down the volume down button and the fingerprint button but generally, you’re holding your phone in your left hand and using your right finger to scroll, type. So if you see a cool something to screenshot while you’re holding it, you have to swap hands, then do the magic finger combo trick with your right fingers. There’s also the palm swipe thing that works ...sometimes. I’m hoping they have plans to integrate it into DEX. I really enjoy DEX as an option.
However, this phone finally brings consumers some options.
I like options.

This phone is for people that might want to sometimes forget they have a phone. Cut the leash. Put it away, out of sight and out of mind. But still be able to do what they need to do when they need to do it on a phone.
This phone is for people that dont want to always feel the need to escape into a different electronic eutopia but rather, ease back into the world we once knew and enjoyed.
I’ve found that I’m not as drawn to use my phone as much as it’s smaller presence in my line-of-sight if it’s not in my pocket (I actually forget that it’s there sometime, even when I sit down with it in my pocket). With my big note at me on my desk at work (cause it’s too big to sit down with it in my pocket) like a neglected puppy, I was like ‘oh, there’s my phone. I wonder if I have a new reply to my post on Android Central?’.
But I’m also the man that before Covid used to enjoy cruises because I loved the idea of being at sea without land/cell signal or other people around me for a few days. #peace.

So for those of you that are joining me in using this piece of flipping machinery to detach a little bit more from The Matrix, welcome back to the real world.

But the best part is as we’re remembering what people look and sound like when they laugh while our phones are flipped in half and tucked easily into our pockets, we can indeed look cool as hell when we do decide pull it out, flip it open and text Rob about his new green shoes.
And brag to him about our new Zflip 3.

*Disclaimer, I still have a month to try this phone out and I might find a need to return it. As I said it’s not perfect but so far, it’s mighty fun and impressive. I’m keeping my Note 10+ ( I also have my amazing Note 4, still) to use sometimes as a WIFI only device or I might pay the extra and get an additional line thru VZW if I need it.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the nice review OP. I’ve heard several others mention they don’t use the phone as much with it folded in their pocket. Considering how much we stare at our phones and pick them up constantly this might be one of the better features.

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't have said it better! perfectly described how I feel about my Flip. I went to lunch with my Pastor today and realized for the first time that I didn't have to pull my Note10 out of my back pocket and sit it on the table before sitting down. My Flip stayed in my front pocket though the entire lunch.

Edit: What case is that?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I like that I can double tap the cover display and see my msgs as I can simply dismiss the unimportant ones without ever having to flip it open.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's funny the evolution of phones. First they were big and bulky, some barely portable. Then they flipped and began to shrink. Now they're back to growing and flipping. Next there will be a barely portable tab fold that opens up to small TV size. Or maybe they'll come out with a tri-fold... Who wants some of that?

OP I really like the leather accent and it's always nice to hear from someone who's truly happy with their device. Even it's flaws.

Thanks for the review.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It's funny the evolution of phones. First they were big and bulky, some barely portable. Then they flipped and began to shrink. Now they're back to growing and flipping. Next there will be a barely portable tab fold that opens up to small TV size. Or maybe they'll come out with a tri-fold... Who wants some of that?

OP I really like the leather accent and it's always nice to hear from someone who's truly happy with their device. Even it's flaws.

Thanks for the review.

Yep I started out with a bag phone, LOL.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It's funny the evolution of phones. First they were big and bulky,.

Yeah remember when a 4.3 inch phone was considered huge. Then 4.5, then 4.7. Remember when the first note came out with its "gigantic" 5.2 inch display! Now 5.8 and even 6.0 inch phones are considered small.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Honestly guys (and gals ;) ) how are most of us realistically going to carry a 6.7 inch or larger phone comfortably or safely? I know a working lady who doesn't carry a purse, and always has a huge Samsung Galaxy of the newer models, and is always dropping and breaking them because she has no where to carry them but in her hands.

The Z Flip and Moto Razer are starting to look like the only workable options if the sizes keep increasing :eek:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly guys (and gals ;) ) how are most of us realistically going to carry a 6.7 inch or larger phone comfortably or safely? I know a working lady who doesn't carry a purse, and always has a huge Samsung Galaxy of the newer models, and is always dropping and breaking them because she has no where to carry them but in her hands.

The Z Flip and Moto Razer are starting to look like the only workable options if the sizes keep increasing :eek:

Yeah a 6.7 inch device that is as big as a note 20 ultra but fits in the palm of your hand. I like that.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep I started out with a bag phone, LOL.

I can remember going to the pager store and drooling over the bag phone. Always swore I'd have one but never got one. My first was the Motorola TAC Flip phone. There was one that didn't flip but for $10 or $15 more I could get the flip version so I borrowed the extra to get the flip style. Later I got the extended battery which turned it into a giant rock of a phone. Of course I got the the leather case with wrist strap and let me tell you I was flexing then. lol

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I like that I can double tap the cover display and see my msgs as I can simply dismiss the unimportant ones without ever having to flip it open.

I'm looking forward to that and a few other things ya'all have talked about especially the OP. Thank you for taking so much time and sharing so much detail and YES, what case is that???

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site

Really enjoyed the Razr I had. That's what has me interested in the Flip 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail