Nexus 7: Who's getting the newest goodness from Google & ASUS ?

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 : Who's getting the newest goodness from Google & ASUS ?

I also looked att the Kindle Fire. I was intrigued by the 7 inch version but ultimately had to go with the N7 because I really didn't want to have to invest in the Amazon ecosystem plus, $199 for a 32 GB N7 was to good of a deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I agree with you. Had I not gotten an unreal deal on the 8.9 Kindle (trading my $149 nexus for his $269 Kindle HD) I'd be right there with you regarding selecting the Nexus for the price.

Sent from my KFJWI using Android Central Forums

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Yup. I got a recent promotion and that is a fine excuse for me to buy something for myself. Plus, my 2 year old loves to take over my current N7 to do puzzles.

spackmanstephen

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Me, I'm getting the 16GB WiFi version once all the faulty units have been sold. :-\

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm waiting at least long enough for a store to be open so I can confirm stock is in.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
After having the old Nexus 7 for a year I'm going to wait for reviews coming from actual owners from this forum who paid for the new N7. I won't buy this unless all the problems from the previous Nexus 7 are fixed.

The build quality on my N7 was horrible. The left side of screen is raised and it creaks like a cheap toy when even light pressure is applied on that side. I had to send in my Nexus device and get a new one several times until I gave up and kept the one that wasn't as deformed as the others. The build quality has to be a lot better than the old one.

Also no "professional" reviews ever mentioned the lag on this device afaik but in their defense I never encountered lag until after a month of using the N7. It gets pretty annoying when it takes about 5 seconds for the keyboard to appear after touching the address bar on any web browser and apps. Also try doing anything while updating apps and the Nexus 7 takes forever to do the simplest thing. I've heard this and the lag comes from a slow flash drive ASUS used on the N7 or it's because of Tegra 3 not really sure but it hapens. Sure the specs are bumped for it to be a seven inch Nexus 4 but so has the resolution. Hopefully the reviews can show whether the specs can handle 1080p with or without lag. Only if Google/Asus fex these problems then I would consider upgrading cause it sure does look tempting right now but I'd rather not deal with the same headaches the last Nexus 7 caused.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

1005984_10151744980412888_82343572_n.jpg

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I definitely will be getting it ASAP. But I won't make the same mistake I made last year, the 8GB version was a bad decision by me. I didn't think I would need all that space but then found myself deleting apps, clearing cache etc..

This time I'm going for the 32GB flavor. And I'm excited about the Snapdragon S4, my N4 has been smooth since I bought it. The camera I can do without, I would have rather they upgraded the front facing camera to a 2.1MP camera, rather than adding the rear cam, but whatevs..

Thomas Daly

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

i'm wondering if the asus memo hd 7 will be out soon. i figured asus was holding off on the u.s. market until the new n7 came out. i sort of want the sd card, and i think the price is going to be much cheaper.

probably will in fact get the n7 though.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Just watched the event and I will hold off for now with my N7 that is still working great even if it is a year old. I called two friends that are going to buy their first N7 after they watched that event today. I said the only thing that would make me want to buy the new N7 is they add the Miracast/Wi-Di ability to stream to my TV. Now with that new Chromecast HDMI device I only have to spend $35 and I am a happy camper streaming from my old N7 to my TV. I think I will wait for a Nexus 10 refresh before I decide to upgrade my old Nexus 7. It sure is tempting to get the new N7 with that higher quality video.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Purely out of curiosity and assuming you have an Android phone of some type, what do you use it for daily? It appears it's an eReader more than anything. I've seen lots of comments on other threads that the N7 isn't that great for eReading. I see tons of the N7's on Craigs List by people that got one, tried it out for a couple of months and never touched it again. Since I own a GS3, I'm trying to figure out just what I'd do with a 7" tablet and whether I want to carry it around.. I don't carry a purse, LOL. :)

My Nexus has been a faithful, daily companion to me for a year, and I will always have fond respect for the little guy. However, I posted it online to try to get money for the upgrade. Then something unexpected happened. Someone offered me a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 as a swap for the Nexus. Nearly new...used 3 or 4 times...but he had two and only needed one.

I got it home and fell in love with it. It has the same HD screen specs that the new Nexus has....but even though I always liked the smaller size tablet....I've now decided I like a larger screen for magazines and movies even more. The battery lasts an incredible 10 hours, and the stereo speakers are quite nice.

Still greatly appreciate the N7 and hope you fine folks enjoy the new one as I'm now enjoying my new Kindle HD.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Purely out of curiosity and assuming you have an Android phone of some type, what do you use it for daily? It appears it's an eReader more than anything. I've seen lots of comments on other threads that the N7 isn't that great for eReading. I see tons of the N7's on Craigs List by people that got one, tried it out for a couple of months and never touched it again. Since I own a GS3, I'm trying to figure out just what I'd do with a 7" tablet and whether I want to carry it around.. I don't carry a purse, LOL. :)

Though I'm obviously not RichardRight, I use my Nexus 7 for reading, streaming music and radio (which it's great for), and Android Central/Mobile Nations/tech news stuff. It works really well in that respect, and can be held (though not used) with one hand, meaning I can do more than one thing while reading. That's why I've always been a proponent of good 7-inch tablets; you just need to find a scenario for using it that really fits you well. Based on the time I've spent reading and listening to music with it, I can totally justify it even for that purpose alone.

Edit: and I will definitely be picking up one of the second-gen 7's. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

The N7 in general has allowed my laptop to collect a ton of dust. Plus its such an amazing device, sure there was some problems with the first addition but now the way Google & ASUS have seemed to attack the new version of the N7.. One can hope that the specs and what we saw today at the Google Press Event will make it a killer tablet!

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

When I am at home, I never use my Nexus 4 because I would prefer using a tablet instead. I even have all of my text messages hitting my N7 with MightyText, so the only thing I use my phone for is to call someone. I also use my Nexus 7 at work to take notes during meetings. I use Evernote and Dropbox, so it syncs with my computer. I also use it for games because a phone is too small for a touch based game, but the N7 is a good weight compared to a full 10" tablet. I also have a dock for my car, so I use my N7 for navigation and for music/podcasts (plays through speakers via bluetooth). If I am just going out somewhere like to a movie or something, I don't take my tablet with me, but it just depends on where I am going.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

I used it daily to read the news in the morning, read books, and watch TV in bed. Keep in mind that not everybody has a five inch screen on their smartphone. Even though I had a still-large screen of 4.5 inches, 7 inches was even better for news and videos than on my phone.

Now, I have an even larger tablet. I had always thought that seven inches was perfect for me, but really enjoying the Kindle 's 9 inch HD screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty