cosmetic defect?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So it's been bugging me for a bit now. Everything on my Nexus 7 is great. Except the occasional hiccups. On the back near the Nexus logo there's this discoloration. I can get rid of it (most of it 98%) by simply wiping it a few times with a cloth. but comes back eventually. anyone else have this? It also shows along the borders of the other letters in the "Nexus" logo.

Attachments

• 2013-08-02 01.24.01.jpg
    2013-08-02 01.24.01.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 121

bottlerocket

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this happen. I thought my hands might be oily or something, but it just happens around the Nexus logo, which my hands don't normally touch. Always comes off after wiping it though. Maybe some kind of heat issue? No idea.

kNP7tX7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

neodata686

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Same exact thing on mine. Not a huge deal but still bothersome. I assume it's the glue or something behind it changing due to the heat.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No issue with mine, thankfully.

It almost looks as if there was excess adhesive that was smeared/wiped off after the nexus letters were glued in. It is probably still slightly sticky, and collects dust/dirt which easier wipes off.

Maybe try some goof off?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues with my tablet I purchased on the 26th... wondering if it's worth seeking a replacement. I don't however have any other issues to speak of... It's probably a glue issue. Who knows...

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
without knowing what material the n7 logo is made from, I'd assume some type of rubber or synthetic rubber-esque material, and 'rubbers' tend to have oils in them. so I would assume that it's some kind of oil coming from the logo itself, perhaps exasperated by the heat from both the device and your hands.

dbrand inc

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
We may have an accessory which can mask this, check out the thread here.

Attachments

• METIT.jpg
    METIT.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 48
  • TCBLU.jpg
    TCBLU.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 48
  • CFRED.jpg
    CFRED.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 48

Nick Catelli

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Just popping in because I was looking around everywhere for people who also had a similar issue. The back of my Nexus 7 was the same way only the pictures you guys posted were mild compared to mine. I'd say more than 75% of the rear of my device was like that. It would wipe away with a semi-vigorous rub via a cloth or your shirt or something but rubbing it with your fingers or simply holding it would make it reappear. It reminded me of how you can rub a suede couch or something in a certain direction to get the color/grain out of it. It was almost the same thing, but any liquid (like finger oil or a little bit of moisture) would cause it to reappear. It was really annoying on mine (like I said, it was practically the entire backing) and was frustrating considering fingerprints showed up much more clearly in those portions, ruining the material feel of the back and killing the look. I ended up returning it. I was going in to exchange it, but they had no 32GB models so I just brought it back and I'm going to try and scope out another model. If I can grab one that has only a small defect in it like the others posted, I won't worry about it. I was just popping in to clarify that my N7 had the same issue and that it was way worse than what was listed here and shown in the pictures. Otherwise, it's an excellent device, so much so that I really considered making due with the cosmetic issue on the back.

Nick Catelli

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to be picking up another 32GB model when I can so I'll let everyone know how it is. Only other thing I heard about these is fringe issues with the GPS but my other unit was literally perfect. The only reason I thought of holding onto it was because the screen was immaculate. Kinda hurt letting it go because knowing my luck I'll get a new one with a perfect back but about 5 dead pixels and dust under the screen and I would have just been better off keeping the former unit :p

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
OK, mine started showing this after some use. I was able to clean it off with a drop of Dawn dish soap on a damp towel. It does come back though it seems less bad than initially. Will keep cleaning, see if if improves. Screen is perfect, I think I can live with an imperfect back, especially since it will eventually be covered by a case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

sbmlat

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I am glad I am not the only one. Without case back of the device looks downright ugly.

it's been only week since I used this device. I will wait for couple of days before returning for an exchange. I have the same GPS issue that other users reported.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I cleaned the back several times, each time the problem showed less, after 3-4 cleanings, it seems to be gone entirely. It's been a few days, I took it out of the case to put a screen protector on, saw no trace of the issue.

Glad I did not return mine!

Sent from my magical Nexus 7 (2013)