Nexus 7 (2013) Stuck on X

anthonok

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That wont be the last time it happens either. Either 4.3 OS is an unstable disaster or there is going to be a major hardware recall because this problem is just starting to pop up on many Nexus 7 2013 tablets. Both of mine have gotten progressively worse as well. Today mine decided to just start rebooting on its own over and over again. Factory reset it for the 10th time. Can't wait to see what it will do next! (sarcasm of course). I have heard from other forums ASUS tech support is dismal so I am trying to work through Google right now. Hope I have some luck. I would prefer at this point a refund.

I just tried to make it happen by rebooting it a few times. Happened after the 2nd reboot just sat at the X. Held power and got it to re start the boot process and it loaded but as soon as I unlocked it I got an android process media force close.

Posted via Android Central App

liqmat

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
theresistance:

Not trying to be rude, but you are late to the party. Most of us here are very well versed on the Nexus 7. Your fix is not a fix and that "fix" is all over the web. The issue here is the problem comes back within hours to a day over and over again. Wiping a device every few days is not a solution and Google is well aware of it. I guarantee you your stuck X will return again shortly. This is a widespread problem from all the forums I have been searching through. Not only do you get a stuck X sometimes you might get a stuck Google logo before the X. Or you might lose data randomly like I did such as a custom wallpaper reverting back to the factory wallpaper for no reason or all your icons disappear and revert back to the factory home screen or you might get stuck in a boot loop to name a few. I have had three Nexus 7 32GB 2013 models ALL do this so far in the last month and many more people are starting to get this because it happens mostly when you reboot. I hope Google tackles this soon because I have 2 tablets that are pretty much useless right now. I actually regret selling my two original 2012 Nexus 7 devices a few weeks ago. I have a Google agent trying to help me, but the real question at this point is: Is it a horrific release of Jellybean called 4.3 or is it horrific hardware quality control from ASUS. We'll see. Here is a post I left on Google's forums with a more detailed problem layout on multiple devices of mine:

So I have owned a total of three new Nexus 7 2013 32GB models so far. The first Nexus 7 2013 32GB would reboot in Google maps constantly. I returned that device back to Staples immediately. The other two Nexus 7 2013 32GB models, which were purchased from different retailers in different states, seemed fine for the first few days of use, but then we started having major problems with both of them around the same time. It seems like data corruption is occurring and it shows its ugly head during reboots. My wife's device was working for a few days just fine and she had arranged all her icons/widgets on her home screen and downloaded multiple apps from Google Play, etc. She then rebooted her device after a day or so and it came up to her security pin screen she had set. She typed in the security pin and then she got the dreaded "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." Every time you hit "ok" or "report" in the dialog box of that error it would just keep popping up. A reboot after that did not solve the issue. Every time she reboot after that and entered her security pin the home screen would appear and the gapps error would continuously appear. She had to do a factory wipe and of course everything was fine again for a while. She used her device for a few more days without issue and then reboot her device one day and it got stuck at the rainbow colored X. She reboot again and it came up fine again. She rebooted the next day and it got stuck at the X again, but this time no matter how many times she did a reboot it would not get past the X. She did another factory wipe. All was fine again for a day or so. Now Chrome once and a while will report it has stopped working, but a reboot usually solves that. She is now afraid to reboot her device. Let's move on to my device which has almost identical problems.

My device worked great for the first few days as well, but then one day I punched in my security pin I had set and I also got the "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." This error, just like on my wife's device, kept looping each time I pressed "ok" or "report". If I kept on hitting "ok" or "report" my device would eventually hard lock/crash. I then reboot the device and the error kept coming back and looping just like my wife's device. I had to do a factory wipe/reset. It then worked for a day until I rebooted again where it got stuck on the rainbow X. I reboot again and it still got stuck on the X. Factory wipe/reset again. Worked for a while. Then I got data loss. My wallpaper reverted back to the factory default wallpaper, All my widgets and icons disappeared off of my home screen and my home screen looked like it does when you first boot after a factory reset/wipe after I had set all those settings. I rebooted just to see what would happen after this odd reversion of settings and it got stuck on the X again at boot. Factory wipe/reset. Used for a day. Reboot. This time it got stuck on the Google logo. Reboot. Would not go past the Google logo. Factory wipe/reset. Working today. Putting it through its paces and just waiting for it to malfunction again.

On the "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." error I have tried all the different recommendations like check to see if Download Manager has stopped under Settings.Apps.All. It was not stopped on either device. I know some have fixed this error by turning on their stopped Download Manger, but this was not the case for our devices.

So my first device rebooted on its own during maps. The other two seem to be having problems with corruption of some sort. All three are the 32GB 2013 Nexus 7 model. I have heard ASUS has horrific customer support. From what I have been reading they just factory reset the thing and if it comes back up they just send it back to you without really digging deep into the issue. I am concerned this will happen to me. I also am wondering if this is a 4.3 issue and not a hardware issue. Very frustrating as I cannot load up much on either device in fear of losing it all again to a factory wipe to just get it working.

Here are my settings on both devices if someone wants to replicate my setup and see if it is something in there causing the issue.

Settings
WiFi=On
Bluetooth=Off
Data usage->Go to pull-down menu and uncheck "Auto-sync data"
No changes under "More..."
Sound->Only change I make here is check "Dock insert sound" (Don't use a dock, just an OCD thing)
Display->Nothing changed except "Sleep" = 5 minutes and I make sure "Pulse notification light" is checked
Storage, Battery, Apps and Users are unchanged
Location Access->"Access to my location" = on and both GPS and WiFi are both checked
Security->"Screen Lock" I use PIN, Owner info-> I check "Show owner info on lock screen" and then type my text below like my phone number, etc., Nothing else changed in Security.
Language and input not changed.
Backup and Reset->I uncheck "Back up my data".
Under Accounts I click on "Google". Because I disable "Auto-sync data" under "Data usage" on the top of this list my account shows "Sync is OFF". I then go to "Search" and go to "Google location settings" and make sure "Access location" is checked and both "Location Reporting" and "Location History" are both off. I then go back one screen. My "Web history" = off. "Personal results" = off. "SafeSearch Filter" = unchecked. Back one screen. "Location settings"->"Let Google apps access your location" = on. Back one screen. Skip down to Ads. Uncheck "Enable Tailored Ads by Google in Apps".
Back two screens.
I go to "About Tablet" and tap on "Build number" seven times so the Developer options settings item appears on the settings main menu. Go back a screen. Go into "Developer options". The only thing checked in here is "Allow mock locations".

That's all my settings other than I have my screen locked in portrait mode and I turn off auto brightness from the home screen pull-down menu. I also arrange all of my icons into groups by dragging the icons over each other and then label the groups.

I will say that it seems to give me issue once I have loaded up quite a few apps from Google Play store, but that may be a coincidence. Recently I tried a factory wipe/reset and then proceeded to attach my Nexus 7 to my laptop and copied about 25GB of files to the download folder to see if filling up my memory was causing any issues, but once I had copied all the files to the device and started to reboot it and operate it it seemed to work fine so the loading it up with apps and maybe the storage memory is bad did not seem to be the issue.

I am at total loss why all this is happening, but I know I am not alone. Two devices displaying almost the identical issues bought from two different retailers in two different states. Is it a bad batch of these 32GB models or is it more of a 4.3 OS issue? I have reported these issues to Google via a phone call, but no follow up as of yet.

This sucks.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, my unit, that worked perfectly for two weeks, not a single random reboot, no hangups, would not boot past the "x" yesterday morning. I tried multiple times to get it to boot and nothing.

Called Google, ended up doing a factory reset. Loaded my apps back on, this morning it won't boot past the "x" again! I guess Google can exchange, but I'm not convinced I will get a reliable tablet out of it, since it sounds like a number of them have the issue.

Not a happy camper today!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just heard they are rolling out a fix for GPS and multi-touch. I'm thinking it might be worth doing one more factory reset (if I can get the device in the mode to do it again), if that helps any. Presuming it rolls out before the device goes back to Google.

Sent from my Nook HD+

Lynchenstein

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
While I only have one Nexus 7 (2013), I have the same very frustrating problem. It's fine for a few days after the factory reset, then it starts all over again... Good thing it's only a few minutes to do the reset, but still... This needs to be resolved ASAP.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I did do another reset, and got the latest update, turned the device off, it successfully booted. But it is unknown if the issue is fixed and as Google is shipping a replacement, I probably won't find out, since I'll return once the replacement arrives.

Sent from my Nook HD+

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just heard they are rolling out a fix for GPS and multi-touch. I'm thinking it might be worth doing one more factory reset (if I can get the device in the mode to do it again), if that helps any. Presuming it rolls out before the device goes back to Google.

Sent from my Nook HD+

I downloaded that update and then on the reboot I got stuck on the X. Was about to restart with the factory reset described above, but now I have to reload all my apps. (I am super new to Android). Is all my app data lost? E.g. Game progress etc.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You can simply re-download your apps from the Google Play store. You won't have to pay again if you download apps that you have previously paid for if that is what you meant.

LucyLucid

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I had gotten the x reboot loop after rebooting after a update, so I did a factory reset ( goodness I only had it for 3 days) and haven't turned it off since, because I don't want it to do the reboot loop again! Is it safe to turn it off? Thanks.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded that update and then on the reboot I got stuck on the X. Was about to restart with the factory reset described above, but now I have to reload all my apps. (I am super new to Android). Is all my app data lost? E.g. Game progress etc.

I had to reload my apps and reset the app settings to my liking and yes, the data on the games I'd been playing was all lost, sigh.

New unit is in hand and seems as good or better than the old, but I'm worried the problem could resurface. It's wait and see from here on out.

I sure hope it is not some kind of hardware issue, because the new tablet is from the same batch as the old I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I had gotten the x reboot loop after rebooting after a update, so I did a factory reset ( goodness I only had it for 3 days) and haven't turned it off since, because I don't want it to do the reboot loop again! Is it safe to turn it off? Thanks.

I'd have to say unknown. Probably it is safe, I suspect mine was a little unusual having the issue two days in a row, but no way to know really.

I would say use the device the way you want now so if any further issues come up you can exchange if necessary, depending on where you bought it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Man, you just saved me a ton of frustration! Bummer that I will have to put everything back on now that it's back to factory settings, but that combo button maneuver really did the trick. Thank you!! :D

Actually, once the setup was complete and my Google account was reestablished, my apps automatically were restored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87